Fasting

  • Thread starter Thread starter Otche_Nash
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Otche_Nash

Guest
I am too sick to follow the fast and abstinence laws. Do I need a dispensation from the parish priest?
 
I am too sick to follow the fast and abstinence laws. Do I need a dispensation from the parish priest?
What about the sick?
Those who are seriously ill should not fast or abstain from meat if it will harm them. God gave us the gift of our body; we must moderate our appetites with fasting and abstinence, but not harm that body.

Can a priest give dispensation to eat meat on a day of fasting or abstinence?
Not just any priest, but your own parish priest has the jurisdiction to dispense you. Dispensations should not be refused the faithful, except in grave necessity. The point of a dispensation is the self-denial of the will that a Christian must practice by approaching their spiritual father.

I took this from the following site.
stsophiaukrainian.cc/resources/fastingandabstainingfaq/

Hope it helps.
:tiphat:
 
I am too sick to follow the fast and abstinence laws. Do I need a dispensation from the parish priest?
You would have to talk to your priest about your sickness. Its hard to comment on what “too sick” means.

Remember fasting and abstaining are two different things. Fasting is cutting down the quantity of food in a day to one full meal and two smaller meals that together do not exceed one full meal while abstaining is simply not eating meat.
Medical conditions can excuse a person from fasting but I don’t understand what kind of medical condition would require a person to eat meat and not abstain from from it.
 
You would have to talk to your priest about your sickness. Its hard to comment on what “too sick” means.

Remember fasting and abstaining are two different things. Fasting is cutting down the quantity of food in a day to one full meal and two smaller meals that together do not exceed one full meal while abstaining is simply not eating meat.
Medical conditions can excuse a person from fasting but I don’t understand what kind of medical condition would require a person to eat meat and not abstain from from it.
Haha. Touché. And we can also ask why being less than 14 years of age would require one to eat meat and not to abstain from it, I mean it’s not as though we’re abstaining from dairy or seafood.
It’s the fasting that I was worried about. 😉
 
What about the sick?
Those who are seriously ill should not fast or abstain from meat if it will harm them. God gave us the gift of our body; we must moderate our appetites with fasting and abstinence, but not harm that body.

Can a priest give dispensation to eat meat on a day of fasting or abstinence?
Not just any priest, but your own parish priest has the jurisdiction to dispense you. Dispensations should not be refused the faithful, except in grave necessity. The point of a dispensation is the self-denial of the will that a Christian must practice by approaching their spiritual father.

I took this from the following site.
stsophiaukrainian.cc/resources/fastingandabstainingfaq/

Hope it helps.
:tiphat:
Thank you for the help and link my friend.
 
Haha. Touché. And we can also ask why being less than 14 years of age would require one to eat meat and not to abstain from it, I mean it’s not as though we’re abstaining from dairy or seafood.
It’s the fasting that I was worried about. 😉
The laws of fasting and abstinence are Church disciplines and not medical rules.
Those under 14 and over 60 are not required to follow them but they may if they want to.
Nobody is required to eat meat.
 
Is it a mortal sin not to fast during lent in the Catholic Church? I have been trying as a Lutheran to follow a type of fast during Lent-or giving up things that I enjoy( like even the internet)as a way to grow in holiness but I was wondering if it is considered a sin in the RCC?
 
Is it a mortal sin not to fast during lent in the Catholic Church? I have been trying as a Lutheran to follow a type of fast during Lent-or giving up things that I enjoy( like even the internet)as a way to grow in holiness but I was wondering if it is considered a sin in the RCC?
Yes it is a mortal sin. Though, the fasting and abstinence laws are different for Latin and Eastern rite Catholics.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top