Fasting?

• Thread starter Thread starter Crusader
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crusader

Do you hear about the need to fast from the ambo or bulletin at your parish? I’m talking about fast days, not the 1 hour fast before Communion.

I have never heard anything about fast days in my parish. Never. Not preached, not in the bulletin, and certainly not in the diocesan newspaper.

Conversely when I attend another parish outside of my diocese, fast days are always noted in their bulletin. They also make note of what sort of fast day it is – simple fast, etc. The priest always makes mention of it too.

Why aren’t fast days mentioned at my parish?

Good question–they’re always mentioned at my parish and that’s supplemented with a bulletin announcement.

Also, the diocese has a calendar printed (available for a $1 donation) which notes all days of fast and/or abstinence.

It is occassionally mentioned from the pulpit and always in the bulletin during Lent atour church.

I often wonder what “fasting” meant to Jesus. I somehow doubt it meant one big meal and to two small ones, which most of us eat anyway. Is less better when fasting?

How do any of you define fasting?

Every Lent a notice of reminder comes out in the bulletin. However it is never mentioned as a requirement before feast days.
O Blood and Water which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountian of Mercy for us, I trust in You! -St. Faustina

40.png
Crusader:
Do you hear about the need to fast from the ambo or bulletin at your parish? I’m talking about fast days, not the 1 hour fast before Communion.

I have never heard anything about fast days in my parish. Never. Not preached, not in the bulletin, and certainly not in the diocesan newspaper.

Conversely when I attend another parish outside of my diocese, fast days are always noted in their bulletin. They also make note of what sort of fast day it is – simple fast, etc. The priest always makes mention of it too.

Why aren’t fast days mentioned at my parish?
People don’t want to hear anymore “Roman Catholic Legalism”–that’s why your Priest(s) don’t say anything. However, since I have started attending only Traditional Mass I hear all about this, especially during Lent and especially during Holy Week. Not only do we know of the required days, but we are encouraged to undertake other fasts, as well. God bless.

Once a year, right before Lent, our bishop sends out a reminder about the fasting requirements. He also reminds us that some form of self-mortification is required every Friday year-round. I had never heard this before I moved to this diocese, and most people don’t believe it when they hear it. Kind of sad.

Yes, somehow the “Friday penitential obligation” seemed to be forgotten in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

We always hear in the bulletin and from Father as Lent approaches, the reminders and a guideline for fast and abstinence–but I never heard from him about the Friday penance. Then again, I’ve only been here 4 years, and perhaps he addressed it earlier.

God bless our priests and bishops in this unsettled time.

We regularly place announcements in the bulletin about fasting and abstinence. I don’t get too many questions about them, but some people are a bit suprised.

About two weeks before Lent begins, our bishop sends out a reminder and guidelines for fast and abstenence. This is also published in our diocesan newspaper. Our pastor publishes a reminder and a simplified version of the guidelines in the bulletin every week from two weeks before Lent until the end of Lent. He also speaks about it in his homilies during the season. He also reminds us constantly about Lenten sacrifices. (During each Mass, he will mention that if we haven’t started our sacrifice, we still have time to start that week. After all "this might be the last year we have a chance.)

One one or two occasions, I remember him mentioning the Friday penitential obligation, but it has been a while. What I have never heard our pastor (or any of our other priests) mention is the 1 hour fast prior to reception of the Eucharist. (Wish he would.)

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back