I had the unique advantage of being the son of a printer. World Color Press printed both DC and Marvel Comics…every Thursday morning when I got up Dad’s lunch box would be on the kitchen table (he worked 2nd shift…3-11 and my bed time was 10 so I usually didn’t see him come home). Inside the lunch box would be his wet towel, his socks and T-shirt, and in the spot where the thermos would go if he carried one I’d find a stack of twenty or thirty comic books. I always went for the Archie comics first…never got into the others all that much.
My goodness the amount of money I’d have if I’d have saved and preserved the comics he brought home…
As a young adult I also worked at the same printing plant for a few years…my father had advanced from Journeyman Pressman to Shift Supervisor and eventually Printing Department Manager…Dad was my boss, which was, at times, a bit uncomfortable.
I started out on the Letter Presses where the comics were printed…I then expanded my comic reading to X-Men, a few others…and my now ALL TIME FAVORITE…GROO THE WANDERER. Groo is an hilarious parody of Conan the Barbarian that had a series of running gags that still make me giggle…references to cheese dip…mulch, etc
I’d read these books, quite literally, “hot off the press” either during my break or when I was on the slower paced automatic stacker (as oppossed to the manual stacker…the press had one of each on either side of the press),
I’m not sure what the point of this Topic is, but thanks for bringing back some wonderful childhood memories.