Favorite music genre

  • Thread starter Thread starter rocklobster
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moonspell…The only metal band I know to get away with singing “La la la la la la la la” in one of their songs, yet managing to retain their “metalness”. 😃
You must mean you listened to the song Aetegina, (sp?) off of Wolfheart. Other than that what song do you mean?

👍 for knowing them at all since they use Satanic imagery.😃
 
Classic Rock. The Beatles are without a doubt the greatest musicians of the 20th century.
Definitely! Right after the Beatles, I think I’d put Dmitri Shotakovich for 20th century music.
 
You must mean you listened to the song Aetegina, (sp?) off of Wolfheart. Other than that what song do you mean?
Yes, that is the song I was referencing (Ataegina is the correct spelling ;)).
👍 for knowing them at all since they use Satanic imagery.😃
:confused: I haven’t noticed anything satanic about them. I’m not sure why that would be a good thing. 🤷
 
:confused: I haven’t noticed anything satanic about them. I’m not sure why that would be a good thing. 🤷
Well, have you seen their merchandise? Pentagrams seem to be on a lot of them. One has a white pentagram and underneath it, it says, “This is what gets in all of us” I do believe. Yet, they do celebrate the vampire “culture”, but then again there aren’t many Gothic metal bands that don’t. 😃
 
With the exception of rap, I like all of the other styles of music.
Where does this ‘anything but rap’ mindset come from? :confused: Seriously, I’m genuinely curious. Lack of exposure to anything beyond 50 Cent and that one ‘milkshake’ number? Latent fear of ‘black music’ that hasn’t yet been sanitized over decades like jazz or blues? I don’t understand it at all!

I can get one’s taste leaning toward other styles, from rock to country to classical, but ‘everything’s good except rap’ is…strange, and I’ve never been able to figure out its origins.

And just because – Blue Scholars - Ordinary Guys 😃
 
I had to choose Other. Why would anyone combine Classical with that new age sewage. :mad:
Exactly, “new age” is a meaningless designation and has nothing in common with the huge variety comprising the “Classical” genre.
 
Where does this ‘anything but rap’ mindset come from? :confused: Seriously, I’m genuinely curious. Lack of exposure to anything beyond 50 Cent and that one ‘milkshake’ number? Latent fear of ‘black music’ that hasn’t yet been sanitized over decades like jazz or blues? I don’t understand it at all!
What’s not to understand? I don’t like rap. It’s a personal taste.

I don’t like asparagus, either, but not because I’m afraid of asparagus farmers.
 
Exactly, “new age” is a meaningless designation and has nothing in common with the huge variety comprising the “Classical” genre.
A lot of musical designations have no meaning. When I was DJing at my university radio station back in 1981, “alternative” meant “alternative to the mainstream”, a very large catch-all that excluded Top 40. Once it became mainstream, it was no longer alternative. Now, it means something different – and it’s odd, because back in the 90s “alternative” *was *mainstream. 🤷

Seems to me you need a taxonomic system devised by a musical Linnaeus.
  • Musica saxi metalli mortis - Death metal
 
I like everything except rap and heavy metal. I enjoy showtunes such as Wicked, Rent, Dreamgirls, anything by Andrew Loyd Webber, the list can go on forever. I also listen to classic rock groups like Fleetwood Mac, Heart, Queen, Bon Jovi, Janis Joplin. I listen country and christian music as well. I love Celtic Woman!
 
Queen is heavy metal… you’re probably making the common mistake of mixing heavy metal and acid metal, death metal, etc.

And concerning the “everything but rap”… I hate rap because of the sound AND the lyrics. The sound is just garbage… it isn’t complex, intelligent, or difficult to play. Much like death metal, and much unlike heavy metal. I really think that if you take the average guitar virtuoso and tell them to sing a rap song, after the glares and incredulous looks they’ll be able to do it (although you may have to offer them money) pretty well. But if you tell a rapper to play a guitar solo, there’s no chance.
 
Queen is heavy metal… you’re probably making the common mistake of mixing heavy metal and acid metal, death metal, etc.
I always thought Queen was more progressive/glam.

Just goes to show about the utility of labels.
 
Actually, there is one rap song I like…I heard it back in the late sixties, believe it or not…

*"If you got trouble
Wait, don’t run,
This kinda Trouble is lotsa fun!

Pop-o-matic, pop the dice,
Pop the six and you move twice!
Race your men around the track
And try to send the others back!

That’s Pop-o-matic Trouble!"*
 
I always thought Queen was more progressive/glam.

Just goes to show about the utility of labels.
Well, I don’t really like labeling musical groups too specifically because a lot of them choose to play different genres of music for different songs. Take for example the Rolling Stones. “Get off of My Cloud” is definitely a rocker. Midnight Rambler is more of a blues song (though not exactly like, say, Robert Johnson). Then there’s the pop ballad “Ruby Tuesday”. And there’s even “Wild Horses” which sounds kind of like country.
 
I am a huge fan of music. I have a collection of over 300 CD’s which include everthing from Reggae to Rap to Celtic to Speed Metal to “Alternative” (which is really, as one dude pointed out, anything BUT) to 50’s to Techno. My least favorite kind of music would be the “HIPPIE Rock” junk such as The Grateful Dead, The Who, Janis Joplin, etc… followed closely by old time country junk and also “NEW SCHOOL RAP ****” I’m more into the Run DMC, Public Enemy, BDP, NWA, Doctor DRE, Snoop DOGG than this newer rap junk, but that’s just me… I’ll make an exception for DO OR DIE and OUTCAST, though:D ! I hate TOP 40 junk such as BRITNEY SPEARS, CHRISTINE AGUILERIA, PUSSYCAT DOLLS, AD NAUSEUM!!! My favorite decades for music include the 80’s (Yes, the 80’s!!!), the 50’s, and the last decade for rock music. Maybe that sounds sick to some of you, but as Collin Ray sang- “That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it!!!”

Tommy
 
I listen to all types of music - but, Rock and Roll *and *Classical are my favorites.

:harp: :harp: :harp: :harp: :harp: :harp: :harp: :harp:
 
Post-Punk Revival
Garage Rock Revival
Punk
Alternative Rock
Art Rock
Psychedelic
Synth Rock
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top