Favorite prayers!

• Thread starter Thread starter cardenio
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cardenio

I started out copying onto 3x5 cards “prayers I should have memorized but don’t” (st. michael, memorare, etc.) and in my search for “prayers I should have memorized but don’t” I found some “prayers I’ve never heard before but like.”

I particularly fell in love with this one from St. Ignatius of Loyola:

Lord, I freely yield to You all my liberty.
Take my memory, my intellect, and my entire will.
You have given me everything I am or have.
I give it all back to you to stand under your will alone.
Your love and your grace are enough for me.
I ask for nothing more.

The rest of you… what are your favorite prayers, and why? And post them here so I can copy them down on my 3x5 cards and take them to adoration with me! Haha, I am such a nerd…

I like this one and usually say it on Saturdays since Mass is not offered in alot of places.

Oh Holy angel at my side go to the church for me.
Kneel in my place at holy Mass where I desire to be.
At offertory in my stead, take all I am and own and offer it
as a sacrifice upon the altar throne.
At holy Consecrations bell, adore with Seraph’s love.
Our Jesus hidden in the host come down from heaven above.
Then pray for those we dearly love and those who cause us grief.
That his sweet heart may rest on ours and we his temple be.
Pray that this sacrifice may mankinds sin efface. And bring us Jesus’ blessings home the pledge of every grace.

Soul of Christ sanctify me.
Body of Christ save me.
Blood of Christ innebreate me.
Water from the side of Christ wash me.
Passion of Christ strenghthen me.
Oh, good Jesus hear me,
within thy wounds hide me,
suffer me not to be separated from thee.
From the malignant enemy defend me.
In the hour of my death call me.
And bid me come to thee.
So that with thy saints I may praise thee,
forever and ever, Amen.

This is the prayer I say after communion.

Since somebody beat me to the Anima Christi, how about this:

“O my God, in union with the Lord Jesus Christ, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer to you my entire life, just as it is, from the moment You breathed me out of Your Infinite Heart of Love into my mother’s womb, until that moment we are reunited when my life on earth is spent. I offer to You all my handicaps and weakness, past mistakes and failures, talents and abilities; all the joys, sorrows, blessings, disappointments and victories of my entire life. I entrust to Your mercy my past and my future. I place in Your Hands my family and loved ones; those who are living now on earth, those who preceded me and those yet to be born. I offer to You all that happens to me this day and every day of my life, together with all my thoughts, words and deeds, for Your honor and glory and for the salvation of souls. May Your Perfect Will be realized in my life. Amen.”

I have a couple.

Prayer to the Holy Spirit - The Secret of Sanctity:
Oh, Holy Spirit, bloved of my soul… I adore you. Enlighten me, guide me, strengthen me, console me. Tell me what i should do…give me your orders. I promise to submit myself to all that you desire of me and to accept all that you permit to happen to me. Let me only know your will.
(This submission to the Holy Spirit is the Secret of Sanctity - Cardinal Mercier.)

Mary, you would know of this next one. Oh, you would know of it very well…

Prayer to the Poor Souls (Taught to St. Gertrude)
(Our Lord told St. Gertrude the Great that the following prayer would release a vast number of souls from Purgatory each time it is said.)
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with all the Masses being said this day throughout the world for all the holy souls in Purgatory.
(Approvedby His Eminence the Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon - 4/3/1936)

I also like the Litanies of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, of the Most Holy Eucharist, and of the Saints.

And the Regina Caeli:
O Queen of Heaven, rejoyce, alleluia;
For he whom thou wast made worthy to bear, alleluia;
Hath risen again, as he said, alleluia.
Pray for us to God, alleluia.
V. Rejoice and be glad, O Virgin Mary, alleluia,
R. For the Lord hath risen indeed, alleluia.

I also like singing* Veni Creator Spiritus:*
Veni Creator Spiritus, Mentes tuorum visita:
Imple superna gratia quae tu creasti pectora.
Qui diceris Paraclitus, donum Dei altissimi,
Fons vivus ignis caritas, et spirialis unctio.
Tu septiformis munere, Dextrae Dei tu digitus,
Tu rite pormissum Patris, Sermone ditans guttura.
Accende lumen sensibus, infunde amorem cordibus,
Infirma nostri corporis, virtute firmans perpeti.
Hostem repellas longius, Pacemque dones protinus:
Ductore sic te praevio, vitemus omne noxium.
Per to sciamus da Patrem, Noscamus atque Filium,
Te utriusque Spiritum Credamus omni tempore. Amen.

Very good prayers.

The Memorare (attributed to St. Bernard)

Remember, O Most Gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother! Before thee do I come!
Before thee do I stand, sinful and sorrowful! O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.

40.png
tdandh26:
Soul of Christ sanctify me.
Body of Christ save me.
Blood of Christ innebreate me.
Water from the side of Christ wash me.
Passion of Christ strenghthen me.
Oh, good Jesus hear me,
within thy wounds hide me,
suffer me not to be separated from thee.
From the malignant enemy defend me.
In the hour of my death call me.
And bid me come to thee.
So that with thy saints I may praise thee,
forever and ever, Amen.

This is the prayer I say after communion.
It is a beautiful prayer, which I also pray after communion. I also like to pray the psalm 22 The Lord is my Shepherd…

I get a bit teary sometimes because it is all so beautiful

Here is my favorite prayer! 🙂 It is a Passion prayer:

O Sacred Head Surrounded

O Sacred Head surrounded by Crown of piercing thorn!
O bleeding Head, so wounded, reviled and put to scorn!
Death’s pallid hue comes o’er Thee, the glow of life decays,
yet angel hosts adore Thee and tremble as they gaze.

I see Thy strength and vigor all fading in the strife, and
death, with cruel rigor, bereaving Thee of life; O agony
and dying! O love to sinners free! Jesus, all grace supplying,
O turn Thy face on me!

In this Thy bitter Passion, Good Shepherd, think of me,
with Thy most sweet compasion, unworthy though I be;
Beneath Thy Cross abiding, forever would I rest, in Thy
dear love confiding, and with Thy presence blest.

:amen:

The universal prayer by Pope Clement the XI
a.k.a. the prayer for all things necessary for salvation (I think 🙂 )
so beautiful

T.A.Stobie:
The Mass.
Oh, come on, I can’t take that to adoration with me on a 3x5 card! But, I agree, the Mass is indisputably the greatest prayer.

Nekic - the St. Gertrude prayer (haha!), now that I read through it, is similar to a Fatima prayer I have on a card… here it is…
Prayer from the Angel of Peace given at Fatima apparitions
O Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, I adore you profoundly. I offer you the most precious Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus CHrist, present in all the tabernacles of the world, in reparation for the outrages, sacrileges, and indifference by which he is offended. By the infinite merits of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I beg the conversion of poor sinners.

Prayer of Simplicity

Lord, I’m sorry.
Lord, I thank you.
Lord, I love you.

Spiritual Communion

Lord, I wish to receive you with the adoration, humility and purity with which your Blessed Mother received you, with the spirit and fervor of the saints.

in XT.

Prayer of Abandonment

Father,

I abandon myself into Your hands;
Do with me as You will.
For whatever you do I thank You.
I am ready for all, I accept all.
Let only Your will be done in me,
as in all Your creatures,
I ask nothing else My Lord.
Into Your hands I commend my soul:
I give it to You with the love of my heart,
for I love You and so need to give myself—
to surrender myself into Your hands,
with a trust beyond all measure,
because You are my Father.

Prayer for Today’s Needs **one of my personal favorites:

Lord, for tomorrow and its needs I do not pray; keep me, my God, from stain of sin - just for today.
Let me both diligently work and duly pray; let me be kind in word and deed - just for today.
Let me be slow to do my will, prompt to obey; help me to mortify my flesh - just for today.
Let me no wrong or idle word unthinking say; set a seal upon my lips - just for today.
Let me in season , Lord, be grave, in season gay; let me be faithful to Your grace - just for today.
And if today my tide of life should ebb away, give me Your Sacraments divine, sweet Lord, today.
So for tomorrow and its needs, I do not pray; but keep me , guide me, love me, Lord - just for today.

40.png
cardenio:
I particularly fell in love with this one from St. Ignatius of Loyola:

Lord, I freely yield to You all my liberty.
Take my memory, my intellect, and my entire will.
You have given me everything I am or have.
I give it all back to you to stand under your will alone.
Your love and your grace are enough for me.
I ask for nothing more.

this is mine too…

On a note of inquiry:

Does anyone happen to know the full portion of the prayer following -

"May the Lord Bless you and keep you . . . "

I know that there is a longer, fuller version than that simple phrase but I cannot remember it. Please share it if you know it/have it.

Thanks!

40.png
crobynb:
On a note of inquiry:

Does anyone happen to know the full portion of the prayer following -

"May the Lord Bless you and keep you . . . "

I know that there is a longer, fuller version than that simple phrase but I cannot remember it. Please share it if you know it/have it.

Thanks!
May the Lord bless you and keep you; May He make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; May He turn his face toward you and give you peace. (Numbers 6:24-26)

I like this one:

Prayer of Trust and Confidence (Thomas Merton)

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do any thing apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this, You will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore I will trust you always, though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone

This prayer to Our Lady of Perpetual Help my Dad taught me as a child and I still say it before sleep:
Night is falling Dear Mother and the long day is done.
Before your loved image I am reflecting once more.
To thank you for keeping me safe through this day and to ask you this night tokeep evil away.

Many times have I fallen today Mother Dear and many graces neglected since last I was here. Do thou have pity my own Mother mild and ask Jesus to pardon the sins of your child.
I am going to rest, for the long day is done, its hours and moments have passed one by one and if before dawn, I should draw my last breathe, then may the long sleep I take be the long sleep of death. Be near me Dear Mother for Jesus dear sake that my soul on eternity’s shore shall awake. Amen.

Barb

I like the prayer of St. Francis, this was one of Grandpa’s favorites.

I also like the Salve Regina and the Little Office–the Little Office suits my more-theological-than-spiritual mindset, as it’s prayer and teaching all in one. Very profound theological constructs about the Blessed Mother, stuff I can wrap my brain around.

The Eastern Divine Liturgies are good, I really like Psalm 1 from Russian Vespers and the Great Litany from the Divine Liturgy…good stuff…can’t beat Slavonic Polyphony…hehe

-ACEGC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back