Favorite TRADITIONAL Hymns?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicZ09
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CatholicZ09

Guest
I haven’t seen a thread like this. I don’t know why, but I like A LOT of traditional hymns, but I’ll give you some of my favorites:

O Sacrament Most Holy
Alleluia! Sing to Jesus
How Firm a Foundation
Lift High the Cross
The Strife is O’er
Jesus Christ is Risen Today
Christ, the Lord, Is Risen Today
Sing with all the Saints in Glory
Blessed Feasts of Blessed Martyrs
There’s a Wideness in God’s Mercy
Alleluia! Alleluia! (Hymn to the tune of ODE TO JOY)
Hail the Day that Sees Him Rise
In Christ there is No East or West
I Know that my Redeemer Lives
Amazing Grace
Come, Ye Thankful People, Come
 
I haven’t seen a thread like this. I don’t know why, but I like A LOT of traditional hymns, but I’ll give you some of my favorites:

O Sacrament Most Holy
Alleluia! Sing to Jesus
How Firm a Foundation
Lift High the Cross
The Strife is O’er
Jesus Christ is Risen Today
Christ, the Lord, Is Risen Today
Sing with all the Saints in Glory
Blessed Feasts of Blessed Martyrs
There’s a Wideness in God’s Mercy
Alleluia! Alleluia! (Hymn to the tune of ODE TO JOY)
Hail the Day that Sees Him Rise
In Christ there is No East or West
I Know that my Redeemer Lives
Amazing Grace
Come, Ye Thankful People, Come
Great list, except for Amazing Grace :eek: (not quite in line with Catholic theology and doctrine). Let me add these to the mix:

For All the Saints
Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones
Let all Mortal Flesh Keep Silence
Word of God Come Down on Earth
What Wondrous Love is This
The King Shall Come
O Come, O Come Emmanuel
O Sun of Justice
I Received the Living God
Creator of the Stars of Night
Attende Domine
Parce Domine
Pange Lingua
Sing My Tongue the Song of Triumph
God, We Praise You (one variation of the Te Deum)
Holy God, We Praise Thy Name (another variation of the Te Deum)
Holy, Holy, Holy
Lift Up Your Heads, Ye Mighty Gates
All Glory, Laud and Honor
By All Your Saints Still Striving
O Sanctissima
Salve Regina
Litany of the Saints (chanted)
Christus Vincit
Jerusalem, My Happy Home
O Sacred Head Surrounded
Songs of Thankfulness and Praise
On Jordan’s Bank
All Creatures of our God and King
Tis Good Lord to be Here
Shepherd of Souls
Love’s Divine all Love’s Excelling
A Hymn of Glory Let Us Sing
At that First Eucharist
At the Name of Jesus (Kingsford (sp?) found in Worship III hymnal)
To Jesus Christ Our Sovereign King
I Come With Joy to Meet My Lord
The God of Abraham Praise
Hills of the North Rejoice
Tu es Christus
Tu es Petrus
Veni Creator Spiritus
Come, Holy Ghost
O Jesus Joy of Loving Hearts
Lord, Let Your Servant Go In Peace
 
So far, a wonderful list! If I were a music director at a parish, I would have no problem using any of them (except, I do have to agree with Benedictgal and say that I’m not so fond of Amazing Grace, and wasn’t so much even when I was a protestant). I have only three to add that I can think of:

Adoro Te Devoto
Tantum Ergo Sacramentum
Stabat Mater Dolorsa
 
Aside from Latin hyms and chants (👍👍👍) I love…

O God of Loveliness
Hail Queen of Heaven the Ocean Star
Wondrous Love That Cannot Falter
Holy God We Praise Thy Name
Lead Kindly Light
Hail Holy Queen enthroned above
O Come O Come Emmanuel
Soul of my Saviour
Godhead here in hiding
All creatures of our God and King
At the Cross her station keeping
Make me a channel of your peace (is this trad? It can be sung chant like)
 
Panis Angelicus
Pie Jesu
Crux Fidelis
At The Cross, Her Station Keeping
Bring Flowers Of The Rarest
Hail Holy Queen, Enthroned Above
Gaudete Cristus Est Natus
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
What Child Is This?
Lo, How A Rose E’er Blooming
O Saving Victim

(I don’t think I added any repeats.)
 
Oops. Started posting when there were only two responses. Looks like someone beat me to a few of them. 🙂
 
I don’t see it yet, so I’ll add “O Lord I Am Not Worthy” (and sorry if I overlooked it in a list). I love it when the choir has chosen that to sing at Communion time as I find it really helps me keep my mind focused where it’s supposed to be.

Can’t disagree with the lists, either.
 
So many great hymns! I’ll just second these two:

Holy God, We Praise Thy Name
O Sacred Head Surrounded
 
:eek: I forgot to add “Holy God, We Praise Thy Name”. I also love “All Glory, Laud, and Honor” on Palm Sunday.
 
One of my favorites that I have loved since I was a girl in the Episcopal Church is:

Fairest Lord Jesus.

It’s never used in my Catholic parish, mores the pity. 😦
 
Aside from many listed earlier, here are a few more:
Veni Jesu, Amore Mi
"Tis the Month of our Mother
Ave Verum
O Bone Jesu
Adoremus Te
Now The Green Blade Rises
 
A Mighty Fortress is Our God. 😉
Onward Christian Soldiers
Let us Break Bread Together
Holy, Holy, Holy
I Love to tell the Story
My Hope is Built
Amazing Grace
The Old Rugged Cross
 
A Mighty Fortress is Our God. 😉
Onward Christian Soldiers
Let us Break Bread Together
Holy, Holy, Holy
I Love to tell the Story
My Hope is Built
Amazing Grace
The Old Rugged Cross
Of course, most of those are only “traditional” within certain ecclesial bodies. Most of them are not ones Catholics would think of as traditional but rather as Protestant. As one who has been within both camps, both liturgical Protestant and evangelical Protestant, I thought the distinction should be made. 😉
 
I don’t see it yet, so I’ll add “O Lord I Am Not Worthy” (and sorry if I overlooked it in a list). I love it when the choir has chosen that to sing at Communion time as I find it really helps me keep my mind focused where it’s supposed to be.

Can’t disagree with the lists, either.
That is the same as “O Sacrament Most Holy” list at the top of post #1

And I want to add to the list of favorites one that I haven’t seen mentioned:
“My Soul Rejoices”
 
Some of my favorites were already mentioned, including “For All the Saints” and “A Mighty Fortress” and “Onward Christian Soldiers”

I would also add

Lord, Keep Us Steadfast
Ah, Holy Jesus
Lift High the Cross
The Church’s One Foundation
Love Divine All Loves Excelling (tune by Rowland H. Prichard)

Jon

EDIT: There is a site called www.cyberhymnal.org which has MIDI versions of tunes and the words to many, many hymns.
 
I would like to add some of my favorite hymns:

Beautiful Angel
Sweet Name Which Makes The Dying Live
Ave Verum
To Jesus Heart All Burning
O Sacred Heart, O Love Divine
O Cor Amoris
Peace, Be Still! Our God Is Dwelling.
Sweet Sacrament Divine
In This Sacrament, Sweet Jesus
Jesus Gentlest Savior
Jesus My Lord, My God, My All
O Jesus Christ; Remember
O Salutaris Hostia
Veni Jesu, Amor Mi
I Need Thee, Gracious Jesus
'Tis The Month of Our Mother
Ave Maris Stella
Mother Dearest, Mother Fairest
Jesus Teach Me How to Pray
Bring Flowers of the Rarest
Mother Dear, O Pray for Me
Mother of Mercy, Day by Day
O Queen of the Holy Rosary
Mary! How Sweetly Falls that Word
Mary Dearest Mother
Holy Mary, Mother Mild
Hail! Queen of Heaven
Rose of the Cross
Dear Guardian of Mary
Hide Thou Me
Pray For The Dead
O, Come And Mourn With Me Awhile
Adoramus te Christe
O Sacrum Convivium
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top