Favourite Prayers

• Thread starter Thread starter FightingFat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FightingFat

What prayers do you say each day?

Do you have a favourite? If so, what is it’s significance? Can you share it with us?

My favourite prayer is this one-

Come Holy Spirit fill the hearts of your faithfull and kindle in them the fire of your love, send forth your spirit and they shal be created and thou shalt renew the face of the earth.

It was something we used to say at college at each morning’s assembly. It really speaks to me of confirmation, and asking for God to work in your life.

The Anima Christi

Soul of Christ, sanctify me. Body of Christ, save me. Blood of Christ, inebriate me. Water from Christ’s side, wash me. Passion of Christ, strengthen me. Oh Good Jesus, hear me. Within your wounds, hide me. Never let me be parted from you. From the malicious enemy, protect me. In the hour of my death, call me, and bid me come to you that with all your saints I may praise you forever and ever. Amen.

The Anima Christi

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from Christ’s side, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
Oh Good Jesus, hear me.
Within your wounds, hide me.
Never let me be parted from you.
From the malicious enemy, protect me.
In the hour of my death, call me,
and bid me come to you
that with all your saints I may praise you forever and ever. Amen.

I found this one recently and loved it. I wish I knew who composed it and a little about its origins. It is printed in the Queen of the Apostles Prayerbook. I think it is a beautiful combination of praise and request for help to do God’s will. But I do feel a bit uneasy about asking to be able to see Her in paradise; it seems a bit presumptious of me.

To Our Lady of Mount Carmel

O blessed Virgin, full of grace, Queen of all saints, how good it is for me to venerate you under the title of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. It takes me back to the days of the prophet Elijah. During his time you were prefigured on Mount Carmel under the form of a little cloud, from which, as it increased, there fell a fruitful rain, symbolic of the sanctifying grace that comes to us through you. Even from Apostolic times, you have been honored under this mysic title, and today I am filled with joy at the thought that we are united with those first clients of yours. In union with the, we salute you and say that you are the beauty of Carmel and the glory of Lebanon. You are the purest of lilies and the mystical rose in the garden of the Church.

O Virgin of virgins, be mindful of me in my misery and show yourself my Mother. Shed on me ever more and more the living light of that faith which made you blessed. Inflame in me that heavenly love with which you loved your dear Son, Jesus Christ. I am filled with miseries both spiritual and temporal. I am afflicted by many sorrows in body and soul, and I take refuge like a child in the shadow of your motherly protection. O Mother of God, you have such power and might. Obtain for me form blessed Jesus, the heavenly gifts of humility, chasity, and meekness, which were the fairest ornaments of your immaculate soul. Grant me to be strong in the midst of temptations and bitterness, which so often overwhelm my spirit. And when the days of my earthly pilgrimage are accomplished according to God’s holy will, grant that my soul may obtain the glory of paradise, through the merits of Christ and your intercession. Amen.
O Queen, beauty of Carmel, pray for us.

“Memorare”

Remember of most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who
fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought
thy intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee,
O Virgin of virgins, my Mother;
to you do I come, before thee I stand,
sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions, but in your
mercy hear and answer me.
Amen

O Sacrament most Holy,
O Sacrament Divine,
all Praise and all Thanksgiving,
be every moment Thine.

:blessyou:

A second on the Anima Christi.

I also try to pray the Liturgy of the Hours (at least evening prayer) each day. Some of the little prayers that begin the hours are just really beautiful, e.g.

“Lord open my lips, and my mouth will proclaim your praise.

or

"O God, come to my assistance, Lord make haste to help me."

(both of these are straight out of the psalms).

and, at the conclusion of night prayer,

“May Almighty God grant a restful night, and a peaceful death.”

One that my pastor encouraged me to pray every morning, to offer all that I do and all that I say to God:

Morning Offering
Dear Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my day – my work, rest, prayers, joys and sufferings – for the intentions of Your Most Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, in reparation for my sins, for the intentions of my friends and family, for the intentions of Our Holy Father, and for [any special intention].

One that I heard on a talk from Father Larry Richards CD and it has stuck with me ever since.
:gopray2:
Lord Jesus Christ
I am sorry for my sins, and I ask you to forgive me
Come into my heart, take contoll of my life
Be my Lord, my God and my Savior
Fill me with your Holy Spirit, that I might serve you all the days of my life
I love you Lord Jesus and I give you my life forever.
~~Amen

Cool!

What about specifics…Morning offering? Act of contrition? What do you use? What do you love?

Berta Ann said:
“Memorare”

Remember of most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who
fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought
thy intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee,
O Virgin of virgins, my Mother;
to you do I come, before thee I stand,
sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions, but in your
mercy hear and answer me.
Amen

O Sacrament most Holy,
O Sacrament Divine,
all Praise and all Thanksgiving,
be every moment Thine.

:blessyou:

also my favorite too:thumbsup:

Church Militant:
The Anima Christi

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from Christ’s side, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
Oh Good Jesus, hear me.
Within your wounds, hide me.
Never let me be parted from you.
From the malicious enemy, protect me.
In the hour of my death, call me,
and bid me come to you
that with all your saints I may praise you forever and ever. Amen.
The Memorare has always been my favorite…but so is this one is is a close second…

I say these prayers every-morning. Some days I say the Chaplet of Divine Mercy and the Rosary.

=======================================================================

Eternal Father, I offer you the body and blood, soul and divinity of your dearly beloved son Our Lord Jesus Christ,

In union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for the holy souls in Purgatory,

For sinners everywhere, for those in the Universal Church, for those in my own home and within my own family.

Oh ! Jesus, through the Immaculate heart of Mary, and in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass being offered through out the world today,

I offer you all my prayers,works, joys and sufferings of this day,in reparation for all the offences committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary,

For my sins and the sins of the whole world.

I consecrate myself and my family to the mercy of God.

The Saint Michael Prayer.

I consecrate this house to the Father Son & Holy Spirit

I consecrate my children to the United Hearts of Jesus and Mary.

I consecrate my mother & father, and all the suffering souls in purgatory,

to the United Hearts of Jesus & Mary.

I consecrate myself to the Holy Spirit.

Angel Raphael, pray for us, Angel Gabriel please carry my prayers to the throne of Heaven.

Angel of God My Guardian Dear, to whom God’s love commits me here,

Ever this day be at my side, to light, to guard, to rule and guide Amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,

as it was in the beginning, is now and forever world without end amen.

The Golden Arrow

May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most mysterious and unutterable name of God be always praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorifed in ehaven on earth, and udner the earth, by all the creatures of God, and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the most Holy Sacrament of the altar.

Prayer to Defeat the Work of Satan

O Divine Eternal Father, in union with your Divine Son and the Holy Spirit, and through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I beg you to destroy the power of your greatest enemy - the evil spirits.

Cast them inot the deepest recesses of hell and chain them their forever! Take possession of your kingdom whihc you have created and which is rightfully yours.

Heavenly Father, give us the reign of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

I repeat this prayer out of pure love for you with every beat of myheart and with every breath that I take. Amen.

Prayer to the Sacred Head

Wisdom of the Sacred Head guide me in all my ways.

O love of the Sacred Heart, consume me with thy fire.

Three Glorias in honour of the Divine Will, Memory, and Understanding.

O Seat of Divine Wisdom, and guiding Power, which governs all the motions and love of the Sacred Heart, may all minds know Thee, all hearts love Thee, and all tongues praise Thee now and for evermore.

Prayer to the Infant of PragueO merciful Infant Jesus! I know of Thy miraculous deeds for the sick. In view of the innumerable graces and cures granted through the veneration of They Holy Infancy, particularly in the statue of Prague, I exclaim with the greatest assurance: O Most Loving Infant Jesus, Thous canst cure me if Thou wilt! Extend Thy holy hand and by Thy power take away all pain and infirmity.

Prayer for Persons with Chemical Dependencies

Lord, in your lifetime, you cured the demoniac who used to be chained to the caves among the tombs. Look with mercy and compassion on those who are chained an enslaved by drugs or alcohol. They are prisoners of forces beyond their control. Help them.

May your grace touch them and enlighten their minds to realize their condition. May they become aware of how much they are hurting themselves and their loved ones.

Grant them the strength to seek help from the various organizations set up for that purpose, and to turn their loves over to you, their Good Shepherd. Pick them up in your loving arms and keep them close to your Sacred Heart. Amen.
  • I usually ask St. Maximilian Kolbe to join me with this prayer, as he is a patron saint of addictions.

For Choice of State in Life

Mary, Queen of the Apostles, you read in the mind of God, the children whom he calls. For them, you have special prayers, grace, light, and consolations. Enlighten my mind to know my vocation in life. Fortify my will to courageously live in accordance with it and persevere to the end. Obtain for me the grace to know, imitate, and lvoe ever more Jesus, the Divine Master, Way, Truth, and Life. Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back