Fear of Purgatory

  • Thread starter Thread starter Flame4
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flame4

Guest
Well, I’m a little scared when I think about purgatory. I mean of course that means you will still get into heavan for sure. But still it seems frightening. Have any of you felt this way? How do you deal with it? Thx in adavance:)
 
Well, I’m a little scared when I think about purgatory. I mean of course that means you will still get into heavan for sure. But still it seems frightening. Have any of you felt this way? How do you deal with it? Thx in adavance:)
Try reading Dante’s Purgatorio, the second book in The Divine Comedy. I think he explains it perfectly. We will be purged of our sins through time witha form of punishment that will help us to understand what we failed to do on earth. Also, other’s prayers will help to hasten our path up the mountain toward heaven. Dante is very allegorical, but I don’t fear Purgatory after reading his ideas on it. It will be a sure ascent to heaven, and the angels will be ever watchful of our progress.

Be sure to pray for those who have died and who may need your prayers to lessen their time spent in Purgatory.
 
I think of purgatory as the chance to finally pray and suffer for others without the distraction of a body 🤷 I have no fear of it.

Gertie
 
I don’t have a real fear of Purgatory. I just try to stay as close to Jesus and do what He commands in this life as I can so my time in Purgatory will be lessened. Everyday I pray for the most forgotten souls in Purgatory who have no one to pray for them. Maybe when they reach Heaven, they will pray for me.
 
I think of purgatory as the chance to finally pray and suffer for others without the distraction of a body 🤷 I have no fear of it.

Gertie
I don’t think that’s accurate. Purging means passively suffering for your own sake. If you want to suffer for others you better do it here and now. I think that’s the freightening thing about purgatory, that there’s nothing you can do about it except wait it out. Purgatory is a place where we heal of the effects of our sins and imperfections.

I remember hearing or reading an authoritative source (perhaps at audiosancto) that purgatory is both joy and suffering at the same time. Joy because we no longer sin and are anticipating the beatific vision in peace, but suffering because of the current deprivation of the beatific vision.
 
I don’t think that’s accurate. Purging means passively suffering for your own sake. If you want to suffer for others you better do it here and now. I think that’s the freightening thing about purgatory, that there’s nothing you can do about it except wait it out. Purgatory is a place where we heal of the effects of our sins and imperfections.

I remember hearing or reading an authoritative source (perhaps at audiosancto) that purgatory is both joy and suffering at the same time. Joy because we no longer sin and are anticipating the beatific vision in peace, but suffering because of the current deprivation of the beatific vision.
Yes, but the one thing we will have in Purgatory is hope. Hope to see God. People who end up in Hell, must abandon all hope. There is no progress in Hell, just eternal damnation. There is progress in Purgatory. Eventually all souls there will reach Heaven.
 
Yes, but the one thing we will have in Purgatory is hope. Hope to see God. People who end up in Hell, must abandon all hope. There is no progress in Hell, just eternal damnation. There is progress in Purgatory. Eventually all souls there will reach Heaven.
Yes, for sure. There is hope! I just feel slightly frightned, however I will entrust it to Chirst.
 
I have read many people’s thoughts regarding Purgatory, but I still have a couple of questions.

How can our period in Purgatory still be measured in terms of earthly time (days, years)? I thought that after we die, we are beyond the earthly concept of time.

Also, I have wondered if the desire to sin is removed from us when we leave our earthly bodies, or is it removed in Purgatory?
 
I fear not purgatory, but the coming of Jesus. Faithful Christians are known to say
“Maranatha!” But when Jesus comes, what will happen to purgatory? Maybe it
will be gone. Supposing that anyone left at the coming of Jesus must at that point
be perfect to enter heaven?
 
I fear not purgatory, but the coming of Jesus. Faithful Christians are known to say
“Maranatha!” But when Jesus comes, what will happen to purgatory? Maybe it
will be gone. Supposing that anyone left at the coming of Jesus must at that point
be perfect to enter heaven?
I don’t think there is a definitive Church teaching on this. However, it has been suggested that the suffering in the time of the final tribulation will provide a Purgatory on earth for those still here. Note that Dismas, the Good Thief, experienced his Purgatory on the cross; so went directly to Paradise.
 
I have no fear of Purgatory and hope and expect to go there. In my opinion very few people are truly prepared, upon death, to stand in the presence of God. I expect most people go there.
 
I fear not purgatory, but the coming of Jesus. Faithful Christians are known to say
“Maranatha!” But when Jesus comes, what will happen to purgatory? Maybe it
will be gone. Supposing that anyone left at the coming of Jesus must at that point
be perfect to enter heaven?
I believe that purgatory ends with the end times, because that is the time of final judgement and bodily resurrection.
 
I may have a little bit of fear, but on the whole, I would say that I’m eagerly expecting purgation. The idea of being completely cleansed of sin and in perfect union with God is wonderful to me.
 
Well, I’m a little scared when I think about purgatory. I mean of course that means you will still get into heavan for sure. But still it seems frightening. Have any of you felt this way? How do you deal with it? Thx in adavance:)
Yes I suppose that I do “fear” the pain of purgatory. Such realization only shows me that I am not yet “perfected”

Fortunately, the solution to this fear is exactly the same as the solution to the “fear of Hell”. Look Up, not Down.:gopray2:
Focus on Christ.
Seek first the Kingdom of Heaven.
Fulfill the Two Great Commandments of Love to the best of your ability.

In otherwords. Don’t live your life trying to avoid what you fear. Rather live it trying to embrace what you Love. God, Christ, Mercy, faith, Charity, Love. These will drive out fear and you will find that, when you truly Love God, you will not fear purgatory but yearn for it’s purifying fire so that you will all the sooner be admitted to the beatific vision of God in Heaven.

Peace
James
 
How can our period in Purgatory still be measured in terms of earthly time (days, years)? I thought that after we die, we are beyond the earthly concept of time.
What makes you think that Purgatory is measured in earthly time?
 
Well, I’m a little scared when I think about purgatory. I mean of course that means you will still get into heavan for sure. But still it seems frightening. Have any of you felt this way? How do you deal with it? Thx in adavance:)
As a wise man once said to me on this subject: ``If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.’’ 😉
 
However, we should not forget how merciful Christ is to repentant sinners.
The very existence of purgatory is evidence of His mercy. His mercy does not imply that we get off easy in purgatory or bypass it completely. Purgatory isn’t punishment, it’s our time of healing of the effects of our sins. If anything, we choose our “time” there.
 
The very existence of purgatory is evidence of His mercy. His mercy does not imply that we get off easy in purgatory or bypass it completely. Purgatory isn’t punishment, it’s our time of healing of the effects of our sins. If anything, we choose our “time” there.
True, but the unrepentant and unbelievers will go to Hell. The reason for Purgatory is to remove our sins. However, the reason for confession is the same thing. Repentance is a huge part of salvation.
 
Well, I’m a little scared when I think about purgatory. I mean of course that means you will still get into heavan for sure. But still it seems frightening. Have any of you felt this way? How do you deal with it? Thx in adavance:)
I will consider myself immensely blessed if I get into purgatory. To me, it means “you made it!” 🙂

And imagine how joyful it would be to know that you’re cleansing yourself for an ultimate acceptance to God’s presence. If you just came back from a week-long camping trip and were told that Benedict XVI wanted to meet with you, wouldn’t you want to have some time to clean yourself up first?

.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top