Fear of the Eucharist?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DrFloyd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prayers that this Holy week will draw you closer to His Sacred Heart. may you feel the tenderness of His loving arms and accept Him as a Father who loves you even when you are uncomfortable with doctrine. Let Him lead you!
 
Hi all,

Thank you again for your responses. I am traveling and am unable to respond in-depth quite yet. I will when I get an opportunity…but that may not be until well into next week.

I am having issues with Catholic doctrine beyond just this one. I will elaborate in a future post. I was raised Catholic and wanted to be a priest for years…but about 10 years ago I began to have problems. Since then, I have had a back-and-forth struggle, and I think my Eucharist fear is just the latest manifestation of that. A number of people I talk to feel I should investigate other branches of Christianity…but I am unsure.

Again, thank you all, and I will be reading these posts if not yet responding in detail.
Do carefully research the origins of Catholicism, if you are thinking of looking into other branches of Christianity, and research the origins of those churches too. Back at the very dawn of Christianity, St. Ignatius, around 90 AD, proclaimed the existence of one Holy Catholic Church. Jesus declared that He meant His Church to be one, and they were. There was no big period of breaking after He created one Church with a definite hierarchy (the apostles and their successors), at which point it changed. Indeed, He promised there would not be, telling Peter that the gates of Hell would not prevail against His Church. So we can be sure that we are still in the Church that Christ made; we have His word for it and historical evidence to prove it: the continuity of Church hierarchy, organization, doctrine and Tradition from its origin to its present.

The other branches of Christianity that exist mostly date to around the 16th century, when new leaders invented their own theologies and broke off, but took with them (more or less- many traditions decanonized seven books) the Bible the Catholic Church had put together through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Which of those would you pick? There are over 30,000 denominations, and millions of non-denominationals who all have their own private theologies worked out. It’s a do-your-own-thing theological set up, trusting on your private interpretation of your reading of the Bible and feeling of what the Spirit is telling you. That is dangerous, because it relies on one’s own intellect and humans are completely fallible. The Holy Spirit who inspires the Holy Catholic Church, on the other hand, is not, and Jesus promised that He would fill His Church, granting it infallibility, to the end.

There are some older alternative churches to Protestantism, such as the Syrian church, the Coptic church and the Orthodox church, which do have ancient roots and broke off from Catholicism in less grave and complete a manner then did the many branches of Protestantism.

I am a former Protestant myself, and I do have a feel for what’s out there in Protestantism. There is a genuine experience of God in Protestantism, in many places. I experienced it in wonderful ways, as I grew up. However, I cannot emphasize too strongly that this is an incomplete experience of God. The perfection, the joy, the wonder and beauty I experienced upon becoming Catholic and coming to taste for the first time that which you have enjoyed all your life (and so possibly in some ways might take be accustomed to, and so take for granted) is inexpressible. Catholicism is the perfection and completeness of everything good and valuable that there is to find in Protestantism. Jesus said to Peter, “You are the Rock, and upon this Rock I will build my Church.” That is what I have experienced in coming into Catholicism- the presence of a true Rock! Protestantism, and this is also sometimes true in Orthodoxy, the major alternative, is replete with divisions and personal interpretation that reduces all, in the final analysis, to subjectivism where meaning is concerned, rather than hard facts.

There are experiences of the Holy Spirit and of Jesus, and many of them, in Protestantism, but that is an incomplete route. There are the same beauties, only MORE glorious in Catholicism, and more of them, for there is much, very much, that Protestantism lacks. The kind of darkness I had to go through for the Virgin Mary to drag me out of Protestantism to bring me into her Church . . . it was very painful, very dark and dry and bleak. And the reward was light that dazzles my soul, rewarding me on every level of being. I had a great relationship with God in Protestantism, but it was an incomplete one and it is dangerous to tread on that ground, the ground of heresy, because of the openness to error that exists there, and the acceptability of all manner of different views on doctrine. There is no single standard of absolute truth- they claim it’s the Bible, but everyone interprets the Bible with themselves, the self, as the final authority.

It looks to me like you are seeking a deeper spiritual experience with God than you have now. If that is so, I urge you to read some of the books of the Catholic saints and mystics, for they describe in their writings just how to go about gaining this. Or talk to your priest, who may have other suggestions on how to nurture your relationship with God within this overwhelmingly blessed Church of Christ. Research your own Church, the Church that has been here from the very beginning of Christ’s ministry, and seek Christ not by yourself, but under the guidance of a spiritual advisor and through the writings of the saints of the Church, who, being the ones who knew God best, have great advice for people seeking more communion with God.

There is a lot that can be done to nurture a relationship with God in this way. We just need to look in the right places and ask the right people. Protestantism is, I assure you, not a safe place to look. There is godliness there, but also a lot of subjectivism and error that can and often does lead to grave sins.

Just be wary. This is a time of testing for you, I think, and a time to appeal more than ever to our Blessed Mother for her guidance and help. I really recommend learning more about our faith; the more one does that, the more and more impossible it is to turn to any of the alternatives.
 
my advice:
(1) Make an appointment with a priest to begin some spiritual counseling, and perhaps to address your issues with Catholic doctrine – do not rely upon your own wisdom. Scripture tells us we’re fools when we do that.
(2) Open up your Bible – I hope it’s a Catholic one. Choose one of the Gospels, and prayerfully read and reflect on a chapter, or part of a chapter, at a time.
(3) Discipline yourself in prayer.

If you’re uncertain about accepting the teachings of the Church, no wonder you feel uncomfortable receiving the Eucharist. Our receiving together as a congregation is in itself a symbol of our unity of belief - our oneness. You are doubting your belief. Don’t hold yourself in contempt for it. But don’t remain stuck where you are – the Holy Spirit will help you if you allow help. Help is there through the priests, through books written by great apologists (Scott Hahn, Frank Sheed, etc.), through God’s Word (the Bible), through the liturgies, and of course with God’s graces. Make time to pray. Thank God you are His child. Thank Him and praise Him for everything good that you experience or observe each day, including your own goodness. Petition for your needs and for the needs of others. Examine your conscience and express sorrow for your daily sins and ask for forgiveness. Don’t think you must always pray using words. Just rest in God’s presence sometimes.

You are not required to receive the Eucharist at every Mass. Yes, we must discern our worthiness (1 Cor 11:25-29). If you don’t feel worthy, again, talk with a priest for guidance about this issue.
 
I would echo what Shin said. One should be fearful of the Eucharist because if you go to communion and you have a mortal sin that is unconfessed then you are heaping injury onto yourself. That is a very bad thing to do.
Perhaps your fear is warning you that you have an unconfessed sin?

🙂
 
Examples of mortal sins that must be confessed are:
bad or unchaste thoughts, hatred or prejudice, birth control, drugs…denial of a Catholic teaching…masturbation, fornication…ect. Make sure you go to confession first.
 
Examples of mortal sins that must be confessed are:
bad or unchaste thoughts, hatred or prejudice,
These are only mortal sins if purposefully engaged in with full knowledge that it is against God’s will. It’s hard to control one’s thoughts, but if we premeditatedly, purposefully engage in sinful thoughts with the knowledge that they are sinful, I can imagine it being mortal.

I doubt that that has much to do with Floyd. I bet that, as he said, his fear of taking the Eucharist stems from the questions he has about Catholicism.
 
Hi all,

Thank you again for your responses. I am traveling and am unable to respond in-depth quite yet. I will when I get an opportunity…but that may not be until well into next week.

I am having issues with Catholic doctrine beyond just this one. I will elaborate in a future post. I was raised Catholic and wanted to be a priest for years…but about 10 years ago I began to have problems. Since then, I have had a back-and-forth struggle, and I think my Eucharist fear is just the latest manifestation of that. A number of people I talk to feel I should investigate other branches of Christianity…but I am unsure.

Again, thank you all, and I will be reading these posts if not yet responding in detail.
To what you have said so far, say, “Lord I wish to believe, help my unbelief!” in regards to any problems you have with doctrine. We cannot even have faith or understanding without the pre-action of the Lord in giving us the graces we need to have it. Recognizing this and praying in mind of this is part of humility. 🙂

Seek and ye shall find, knock and the door shall be opened.

St. Michael the archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray, and do thou o prince of the heavenly hosts, thrust into Hell Satan and all the even spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Ave Maria.
 
I doubt that that has much to do with Floyd. I bet that, as he said, his fear of taking the Eucharist stems from the questions he has about Catholicism.
If Floyd is a man, it might well have something to do with Floyd. 🙂 But yes, let’s wait and hear it.
 
Do carefully research the origins of Catholicism, if you are thinking of looking into other branches of Christianity, and research the origins of those churches too. Back at the very dawn of Christianity, St. Ignatius, around 90 AD, proclaimed the existence of one Holy Catholic Church. Jesus declared that He meant His Church to be one, and they were. There was no big period of breaking after He created one Church with a definite hierarchy (the apostles and their successors), at which point it changed. Indeed, He promised there would not be, telling Peter that the gates of Hell would not prevail against His Church. So we can be sure that we are still in the Church that Christ made; we have His word for it and historical evidence to prove it: the continuity of Church hierarchy, organization, doctrine and Tradition from its origin to its present.

The other branches of Christianity that exist mostly date to around the 16th century, when new leaders invented their own theologies and broke off, but took with them (more or less- many traditions decanonized seven books) the Bible the Catholic Church had put together through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Which of those would you pick? There are over 30,000 denominations, and millions of non-denominationals who all have their own private theologies worked out. It’s a do-your-own-thing theological set up, trusting on your private interpretation of your reading of the Bible and feeling of what the Spirit is telling you. That is dangerous, because it relies on one’s own intellect and humans are completely fallible. The Holy Spirit who inspires the Holy Catholic Church, on the other hand, is not, and Jesus promised that He would fill His Church, granting it infallibility, to the end.

There are some older alternative churches to Protestantism, such as the Syrian church, the Coptic church and the Orthodox church, which do have ancient roots and broke off from Catholicism in less grave and complete a manner then did the many branches of Protestantism.

I am a former Protestant myself, and I do have a feel for what’s out there in Protestantism. There is a genuine experience of God in Protestantism, in many places. I experienced it in wonderful ways, as I grew up. However, I cannot emphasize too strongly that this is an incomplete experience of God. The perfection, the joy, the wonder and beauty I experienced upon becoming Catholic and coming to taste for the first time that which you have enjoyed all your life (and so possibly in some ways might take be accustomed to, and so take for granted) is inexpressible. Catholicism is the perfection and completeness of everything good and valuable that there is to find in Protestantism. Jesus said to Peter, “You are the Rock, and upon this Rock I will build my Church.” That is what I have experienced in coming into Catholicism- the presence of a true Rock! Protestantism, and this is also sometimes true in Orthodoxy, the major alternative, is replete with divisions and personal interpretation that reduces all, in the final analysis, to subjectivism where meaning is concerned, rather than hard facts.

There are experiences of the Holy Spirit and of Jesus, and many of them, in Protestantism, but that is an incomplete route. There are the same beauties, only MORE glorious in Catholicism, and more of them, for there is much, very much, that Protestantism lacks. The kind of darkness I had to go through for the Virgin Mary to drag me out of Protestantism to bring me into her Church . . . it was very painful, very dark and dry and bleak. And the reward was light that dazzles my soul, rewarding me on every level of being. I had a great relationship with God in Protestantism, but it was an incomplete one and it is dangerous to tread on that ground, the ground of heresy, because of the openness to error that exists there, and the acceptability of all manner of different views on doctrine. There is no single standard of absolute truth- they claim it’s the Bible, but everyone interprets the Bible with themselves, the self, as the final authority.

It looks to me like you are seeking a deeper spiritual experience with God than you have now. If that is so, I urge you to read some of the books of the Catholic saints and mystics, for they describe in their writings just how to go about gaining this. Or talk to your priest, who may have other suggestions on how to nurture your relationship with God within this overwhelmingly blessed Church of Christ. Research your own Church, the Church that has been here from the very beginning of Christ’s ministry, and seek Christ not by yourself, but under the guidance of a spiritual advisor and through the writings of the saints of the Church, who, being the ones who knew God best, have great advice for people seeking more communion with God.

There is a lot that can be done to nurture a relationship with God in this way. We just need to look in the right places and ask the right people. Protestantism is, I assure you, not a safe place to look. There is godliness there, but also a lot of subjectivism and error that can and often does lead to grave sins.

Just be wary. This is a time of testing for you, I think, and a time to appeal more than ever to our Blessed Mother for her guidance and help. I really recommend learning more about our faith; the more one does that, the more and more impossible it is to turn to any of the alternatives.
👍 🙂
 
Still here, all, still reading. I drove 600 miles yesterday; 500 two days before. I have 300 to go today and 400 more over the weekend.

I’ll get back to you all when I am able to reply in-depth – don’t give up on me!

(And yes, I am a man. “Dr. Floyd” is the name of my cat, and my on-line handle. 🙂 )
 
Now be on your guard, daughters, against some types of humility given by the devil in which great disquiet is felt about the gravity of our sins. This disturbance can afflict in many ways even to the point of making one give up receiving Communion and practicing private prayer. These things are given up because the devil makes one feel unworthy. . . . The situation gets so bad that the soul thinks God has abandoned it because of what it is; it almost doubts His mercy. . . .
Humility does not disturb or disquiet or agitate, however great it may be; it comes with peace, delight, and calm. . . . The pain of genuine humility doesn’t agitate or afflict the soul; rather, this humility expands it and enables it to serve God more.

—Saint Teresa of Avila
The Way of Perfection, 39:1-2
I would also like to add to that…I had just read the other day a man went to Padre Pio to go to confession and he pretty much stated the same thing and Padre Pio told him that is not humility or piety rather it is from the devil to get you to stop going to Mass and receiving communion. I was trying to find it for you but I can’t locate it at the present moment.
 
Here’s a couple of prayers that can help you they quite beautiful and you recite them right before you receive Holy Communion; they are quite effective at expressing what is in your heart.
Code:
                                  ACT OF DESIRE
Is it possible, O amiable Jesus, that Thou comest with a vehement desire of uniting a wretched sinner to Thyself! O come beloved of my soul. Come, adorable body and precious blood of my Savior, come and be the nourishment of my soul. As the heart panteth after the fountains of water, so my soul panteth after Thee, the fountain of life. For Thou alone art my consolation, my treasure, my happiness, my life and my all. Come, dear Jesus, take up Thy abode in my heart, and dwell therein all the days of my life. My heart is ready; and, were it not, one of Thy divine looks would be sufficient to prepare, soften and inflame it. Come, Lord Jesus, come.
ACT OF HUMILITY

Who am I, O God of Glory and Majesty! who am I that Thou shouldest deign even to look on my unworthiness? Whence this supreme happiness, this unbounded goodness, that Thou shouldst condescend to visit me? I am but a wretched sinner, more contemptible than nothingness itself, and yet I dare approach so holy a God, and partake of the bread of angels? Ah, Lord, I do not deserve the mark of Thy predilection, this additional proof of Thy tenderness and love. King of heaven, author and preserver of the world! I annihilate myself before Thee. With profound humility, I adknowledge Thy sovereign greatness and my extreme wretchedness. The consideration covers me with inexpressible awe and confusion O my loving Lord; I confess with humble sincerity that I am but dust and ashes, and that I am wholly unworthy of the ineffable favor Thou deignest now to confer upon me. Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof.

These prayers are from an old prayer book that I found in my closet it’s called My Key To Heaven it was published sometime in the 1950’s
 
I appreciate everyone’s replies, thoughts, and prayers.

My problem is essentially this: I was raised Catholic. It was old-school…not pre-Vatican II, but my parish was primarily composed of elderly people and they were old-fashioned. I, also, grew up with many old-fashioned influences on me. I, at an early age, was very interested in the Church and with the notion of eventually entering religious life.

I was torn, however, between wanting to become a high school history teacher, and wanting to become a parish priest. I wavered for several years between the two. I eventually chose a college sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy – College Misericordia, in Dallas, Pennsylvania. I was hoping that while training to become a teacher at a Catholic college, that would help me to find the correct path.

Going to the Catholic college did indeed influence me – AWAY form Catholicism. I was disappointed by the things I saw there and they did not jive with the notions I already had. I considered myself a rather conservative Catholic; the sisters there were not conservative AT ALL.

Additionally, while in college, I visited the seminary for a vocations weekend. I didn’t like what I saw there, either. The men at the seminary were very holy, very pious…but not the most intellectual. I feel that a priest should be intellectual, and what I saw as future priests really upset me.

Both of those things initially drove me away from the Church. In the years since, I have attempted to return a few times, but something always draws me away – this fear of the Eucharist is the latest. I consider myself very spiritual and, I suppose, Christian, but I have a difficult time wedding myself to one particular ideology. Catholicism is very much a specific ideology.

I came here looking to peruse the forums and hopefully revive my Catholicism. Thus far, I have been unsuccessful. One of my closest friends is a very strong evangelical Christian and he thinks I should move more in that direction – and, indeed, a lot of things he says makes more sense, to me, than what the Church does.

I throw this out there for you all to take however you want. I make no excuses for what I say. I have a difficult time with many Catholics whom I see as “getting their ticket punched” – going to Mass every Sunday, not eating meat on Fridays during Lent, and otherwise going through the motions, while being dead spiritually. My mother is a prime example of this. She said to me, on Good Friday, “what the hell is the matter with you eating a ham sandwich today?” That one question, to me, illustrates how spiritually disconnected she is.

Reply however you like. I will read every response and reply to those points I find interesting. I did promise to return to this thread, and indeed I have.
 
Seems to me you are suffering from the pot calling the kettle black syndrome. You are way too busy judging others.To become a priest is “a calling” from God, apparently He doesn’t think they have to be highly intelligent. There are several priests who are great saints who were not highly intelligent. All of these judgements are yours & yours alone…in order to find the answers you need to “look at the man in the mirror” you are an adult now. I’m not trying to be a jerk, I am going through the same lessons myself and sometimes we have so much going on that for some reason we find it easier to blame someone whether it be an individual or group for our own mistakes or misunderstandings. When we are in our 20s everything is so black & white then we grow some more and learn more. None of us are perfect and just like there are good & bad cops, doctors, Engineers, the same is true for priests & nuns.

I think you’re starting at the wrong angle, it is just way to easy to confirm the beliefs that you stated. It’s just like being prejudiced against a certain group of people, when someone does something even implied…what’s the first thing we do…we say see look at that, they all a bunch of so & so’s.
 
Basically, Dr. Floyd, (just putting your name in bolds so you’ll know this post is to you) you’re looking at some faulty individuals rather than the spirit of the Church. Not everyone is like that. Have you read much about the saints? One doesn’t have to look only to the saints to see this, though. Just go through the Prayer Intentions forum or the Spirituality forum on this website. There are also lots of very intellectual Catholics in the Apologetics forum. There are people who aren’t that intellectual too, but there are some magnificent believers with great faith.

Here’s my view of the Catholic Church. I expressed it in the first few posts of this thread:
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=331472

If you fix your eyes on the ugliness, all you’re going to see is ugliness. You have to raise your eyes to look at what is beautiful, and then, especially if you pray to better see that which is beautiful, your eyes will be cleared and you will be swept away with love. Like I have been. I’m a convert from an evangelical Protestant Christianity, and I know what’s there. There is much that is good and holy, but here’s a secret I learned upon studying Catholicism. Everything good and beautiful there is in Protestantism is also in Catholicism, only perfected, more gloriously and fully expressed, and there are many great glories in Catholicism that Protestantism has not discovered. The Mother of God, the Early Church Fathers, dogma, the Pope, Sacred Tradition, having absolute and entirely clear, unsubjective moral values expressed by the Vatican, the Seven Sacraments, (including above all) the EUCHARIST!!!, the complete Bible (Most Protestants have dumped 7 books), and the Communion of Saints, to name a few that are extreme lights that are impossible to find in Protestantism.

Look to what is good. Try going to Daily Mass for a while, and meet the Catholics who go to that! Those that attend Daily Mass tend to be some of the most serious Catholics. Look for what is good and pray to see what is good, rather than focusing your eyes on what is bad.

And read some of the writings of the saints. Through the Catholic Church, many have attained levels of union with God impossible to find anywhere else.

As for me, my eyes are trained on what is good and holy. That is why everywhere I look, I see light. I too have had encountered Catholics who treat their faith with ambivalence, of course. And it saddens me a lot to see lights I so treasure, such as Confession, treated carelessly. That is because Confession itself, or the Eucharist, or other great lights, are so intensely beautiful!

The Biblical Book of Philippians says,
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is fair, whatever is pure, whatever is acceptable, whatever is commendable, if there is anything of excellence and if there is anything praiseworthy-keep thinking about these things.
I’ve been blessed with being able to delight in what is beautiful. Look at it! Pray that the beautiful will be shown you and then train your eyes on that which is lovely, and be richly, magnificently blessed! Pray that the Lord who says, “Do not judge, or you will be judged,” will close your eyes to the sins of others, and pray that the God who calls on us through St. Paul to gaze upon beauty will indeed bless you more completely than He has so far with that blessing!

There are more blessings available to you through and in the Catholic Church than you can possibly imagine. More than I can ever imagine! And I’m sitting here grinning like a baboon, at the thought of these lights! Gaze, prayerfully, on what is beautiful and fill your mind with it, and read the writings of the saints and look on the virtues of your Catholic brothers and sisters around you.

I really urge you to read what I wrote about the glories of the Catholic Church in the link I provided. If you don’t want to, of course you’re in charge, but I think maybe it will bless you, or at least cause you to think more seriously about what you would be turning away from and cause you to pray to be able to see the beauty and know it with more loving intimacy. We all need to pray to know God’s truth and love Him and what He has given us with more intimacy.

Look at the saints, and look at all that is good and beautiful in the lives of ordinary Christians around us and in the great glories God has revealed through the Catholic Church. Look at what is pure and lovely, and pray with perseverance to see it more clearly and know it with intimate love, and it may seize a hold upon you that never goes away. That is the power of the Christ in the Catholic Church.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top