Feb. 2 Feast -- " ...a sword will pierce your heart also..."

  • Thread starter Thread starter MariaChristi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MariaChristi

Guest

Today’s Feast of the Lord’s Presentation in the Temple has a Marian dimension:
…At the end of the Gospel Simeon’s prophecy of Mary’s sufferings is emphasized. Pope John Paul II taught that, ‘Simeon’s words seem like a second Annunciation to Mary, for they tell her of the actual historical situation in which the Son is to accomplish his mission, namely, in misunderstanding and sorrow.’ (Redemptoris Mater, n16) The archangel’s announcement was a fount of incredible joy because it pertained to Jesus’ messianic royalty and the supernatural character of His virginal conception. The announcement of the elderly in the temple instead spoke of the Lord’s work of redemption that He would complete associating Himself through suffering to His Mother. Therefore, there is a strong Marian dimension to this feast… (taken from article in Catholic Culture")
As often as I meditate upon this 4th of the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary, I feel there is more for me to hear and understand from the heart.

Perhaps each of us needs to hear the words Simeon spoke to Mary, as also spoken to us who seek to follow Jesus as Mary did. We need to hear: as Jesus’ Heart was pierced physically, so must each of us “feel” in a spiritual way --even as Mary felt in a spiritual way, the sufferings of Jesus – and be willing to receive, in union with Jesus, all the Father wills for us.
 
http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/pictures/presentation_temple2.jpg
Today’s Feast of the Lord’s Presentation in the Temple has a Marian dimension:

As often as I meditate upon this 4th of the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary, I feel there is more for me to hear and understand from the heart.

Perhaps each of us needs to hear the words Simeon spoke to Mary, as also spoken to us who seek to follow Jesus as Mary did. We need to hear: as Jesus’ Heart was pierced physically, so must each of us “feel” in a spiritual way --even as Mary felt in a spiritual way, the sufferings of Jesus – and be willing to receive, in union with Jesus, all the Father wills for us.
Simeon’s message to Mary is frightening when I think about it, as it surely must have been for Our Lady to hear. It points to the idea of redemptive suffering, which is still a bitter pill to swallow. I have to admit I spend a lot of time and energy trying to avoid or escape any sort of suffering.

The Presentation of the Lord also always reminds me of the obedience of the Holy Family. Obedience to God’s law is another thing I constantly need to work on in my own life.

Through the intercession of the Holy Family, may we all find favor with God.
 
Simeon’s message to Mary is frightening when I think about it, as it surely must have been for Our Lady to hear. It points to the idea of redemptive suffering, which is still a bitter pill to swallow. I have to admit I spend a lot of time and energy trying to avoid or escape any sort of suffering.

The Presentation of the Lord also always reminds me of the obedience of the Holy Family. Obedience to God’s law is another thing I constantly need to work on in my own life.

Through the intercession of the Holy Family, may we all find favor with God.
Dear christofirst,

As Christians we are “baptized into His death”. Supernatural Life in Christ which is infused into our souls at Baptism is the beginning of our eternal union with the Trinity in heaven’s glory. No one can escape suffering on earth, although the consequences of original sin can tempt us to forget Jesus suffered for us! God has loved us so much! How can we not strive to love Him in return?

Grace enabled the saints who have gone before us, and His Grace invites us to do as Mary, Joseph and all the saints have done in following Christ. You and I may not be called to martyrdom, but we are called to “die to ourselves” daily, to live in Christ for God.

Mary did not know every suffering she would endure in saying, “Be it done to me according to your word”, but she knew she could trust God to give her all she needed. Suffering did not surprise her in Simeon’s words, it seems to me, for she knew the scriptures. Isaiah foretold the “Suffering Servant”. Mary continued to grow in faith, hope and above all charity throughout her life. By God’s Grace, may we grow daily more faithful, more hopeful and more loving toward God and others because of God.

Jesus promised His disciples before leaving them the Holy Spirit will bring us into the complete truth (cf John 16:13). God keeps His promises. Let us, by the power of the Holy Spirit, hear His Truth and do it lovingly. He will never give us more than we can bear as we follow him into our eternal home. Let us encourage one another on the journey: we are born again by water and the Holy Spirit and we are all called to holiness. I’m mindful of St. John Paul II’s often repeating, “Be not afraid” – even as the Angel told Mary.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top