S
stumbler
Guest
May 27, 2005 9:40 am US/Central
WASHINGTON (CBS) Federal health investigators are looking into reports that some men who used Viagra may have suffered a new and very serious side effect – blindness.
Twenty-three million men worldwide have used Viagra. A very small number of them are going blind after taking normal doses. And CBS News has learned from the FDA that it is urgently meeting about it with experts and Pfizer.
Jimmy Grant started using Viagra in 1998, when he was 57. At first, he felt pressure in his temples and saw color changes in his vision.
“I noticed the symptoms probably within 45 minutes to an hour,” he told CBS News correspondent Sharyl Attkisson.
Soon, he went blind in his right eye. Doctors didn’t make a connection to Viagra.
“After your loss of vision, did you continue taking doses?” Attkisson asked.
“On occasions, I did,” he said. “And then in March 2000 after taking Viagra I experienced loss of sight – partial loss of sight in my left eye.”
With both eyes damaged, a friend found an article on the Internet about Viagra and blindness, and Grant put two-and-two together. …
Full article
WASHINGTON (CBS) Federal health investigators are looking into reports that some men who used Viagra may have suffered a new and very serious side effect – blindness.
Twenty-three million men worldwide have used Viagra. A very small number of them are going blind after taking normal doses. And CBS News has learned from the FDA that it is urgently meeting about it with experts and Pfizer.
Jimmy Grant started using Viagra in 1998, when he was 57. At first, he felt pressure in his temples and saw color changes in his vision.
“I noticed the symptoms probably within 45 minutes to an hour,” he told CBS News correspondent Sharyl Attkisson.
Soon, he went blind in his right eye. Doctors didn’t make a connection to Viagra.
“After your loss of vision, did you continue taking doses?” Attkisson asked.
“On occasions, I did,” he said. “And then in March 2000 after taking Viagra I experienced loss of sight – partial loss of sight in my left eye.”
With both eyes damaged, a friend found an article on the Internet about Viagra and blindness, and Grant put two-and-two together. …
Full article