Feeling Confused about Future Husband Prayers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LaMusicaSenior
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LaMusicaSenior

Guest
Hello to all,
Code:
  I daily pray/journal/write letters to my future husband - it helps me pray for both of our purity and keeps me on track about how I'm saving myself for him.

 Yet, I am also still open to the aspect of my vocation being a religious sister.  

 When I had discussed this "war" between vocations, a local priest told me to work on a Season of Seperation - where I seperate myself from things that might sway me to doing my will instead of God's will in my life.

 So is writing letters / journaling to my future husband helping or hurting?  I love doing this, becuase I know that if I do get married, the letters will be a beautiful gift to my future husband.

 Advice or thoughts?
Thanks and God bless,

Chloe M.
 
I think that writing those letters is a form of romantic entertainment. I also think that they go against the idea of listening to God, when you write that kind of letters you usually listen to yourself. My suggestion is to take a break from such a focused activity if you are serious about discerning a religious vocation.
 
I think the priest “nailed it”…give yourself a break from the “self”…we all need to…especially me! In your case you are facing a significant “fork in the road” of your life…the fact that you are “feeling confused” maybe God’s whisper to your spirit…to give Him a chance to make His plea to your heart…but no matter what He loves you and will walk with you in either decision.

Prayers for peace and wisdom.

Pax Christi

p.s. Father Mitch Pacwa’s very concise and readable book might be a real help:

http://www.catholicfreeshipping.com/Images/Products/noname77-m.jpg
How To Listen When God Is Speaking by Fr. Mitch Pacwa
How do we listen to God speak to our hearts, minds, and wills-especially above the noise and stress of the modern world? What is the process of discerning God’s will? Best-selling author and popular EWTN host Fr. Mitch Pacwa, SJ tackles these and other questions in this comprehensive book on discernment. He says that first we need to believe in God and his moral laws and make a commitment to please him in all that we do. Then we need to pray so that we can experience the peace that can come only from God.
catholicfreeshipping.com/Products/cfs_noname77.html
 
I think those letters you have written to your future husband are quite a touching gesture, but I don’t think it would hurt to take a break from it for a little while, espeically if a priest made the recommendation to you.

If you are in the habit of journaling, I highly recommend writing letters to God instead during your time of reprieve. 👍

On a personal note, taking similar advice from a priest when I was in a similar position greatly helped me to gain some perspective. I had spent so much time and energy always wondering if every girl I met was “the one” that it was a relief to put that on the backburner. I always feared doing that because I was afraid I’d “miss” her, but I gained so much more. It really helped my relationship with the Lord.
 
I think those letters you have written to your future husband are quite a touching gesture, but I don’t think it would hurt to take a break from it for a little while, espeically if a priest made the recommendation to you.

If you are in the habit of journaling, I highly recommend writing letters to God instead during your time of reprieve. 👍

On a personal note, taking similar advice from a priest when I was in a similar position greatly helped me to gain some perspective. I had spent so much time and energy always wondering if every girl I met was “the one” that it was a relief to put that on the backburner. I always feared doing that because I was afraid I’d “miss” her, but I gained so much more. It really helped my relationship with the Lord.
Yes - I do love journaling - and I have been journaling daily to God, too - so it’s not like my letters are taking up all my daily devotion time.

Like your situation - I feel like I should seperate myself from the letters - and just focus on my vocation of a student and my college application and preperation. Yet at the same time, like you, I don’t want to “miss” God’s plan.
 
Here’s another thought -

I know that my vocation right now is being a single, dedicated student, daughter, sister and friend.

And I know that in my future vocation, I can be called to be a religious sister, a consecrated single, or a wife and mother.

So, I really am trying to make it my priority to focus on my current vocation, and not let the pursuit of my future vocation take presedence of my current calling.

Does this mean I shouldn’t pray for my future husband? (given the chance that he might not even be in God’s plans for my life - and Christ himself would be my groom?)

But I feel like I should be doing something! Any suggestions?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top