Feeling Empty after RCIA

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thomas1981
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thomas1981

Guest
I was welcomed into the Church this Easter Vigil. I LOVED the RCIA classes. Meeting with the deacon and his wife and the other RCIA-ers was like food for the soul. We had such great discussions and spiritual community. Now, it’s over. My parish is very small and the only Bible study group is early morning (when I’m at work) and it’s mostly retired people (nothing against retired people, we just operate on different hours). We only have a deacon currently (two retired priests come to do the sacraments), and he serves two parishes and is super busy. I feel like there is a hole in my heart where a fellowship community used to be. Does anyone have any suggestions in where I can find fellowship outside my parish if necessary?
 
Yes - check with the Diocese…there should be lots of things going on…groups etc.
 
Do I just e-mail someone at the diocese or ask someone at another parish if I can join their Bible study?
 
Do I just e-mail someone at the diocese or ask someone at another parish if I can join their Bible study?
All sorts of possibilities…call your diocese…call your parish…check the diocese website …the diocese newspaper (ours lists all the events all over the place through the month or so)…etc.
 
First of all, that’s quite strange that RCIA just ended. Most RCIA groups have the neophytes (the newly baptized & converts from other Christian denominations) go through post-baptismal classes in mystagogia.

Regardless, check with your parish. There should be ample ways to get involved. Of course, different parishes have different amounts of parishioner participation. Many parishes have prayer groups, Bible studies, and the like.

First and foremost, though, I’d check to see if your parish has a Knights of Columbus council (most do - and if not, a nearby parish probably does). If so, call the Grand Knight, ask him about what the Knights do, and join them. Meetings aren’t every week, but are at least monthly - you get the fraternal companionship you need, and you have opportunities for volunteer work through the council.
 
RCIA has ended? It shouldn’t. Mystagogy should be going on now. Our parish uses the time frame between Easter and Pentecost for deep reflection and introduction to small faith groups within the parish. Get a hold of your RCIA instructor, your religious ed director or pastor and keep the journey alive!

The Easter Vigil is like high school graduation…its a “commencement” not a “conclusion”!

Peace and all good!
 
Wow, I’d never even heard of mystagogy! I’ll have to talk to the deacon about this.
 
With regard to bible studies at other Catholic parishes, they would gladly welcome you.

My parish did not have the Jeff Cavins excellent bible studies, so for the past five years I have been attending the various series of topics at a parish 20 minutes away from me.
 
First of all, that’s quite strange that RCIA just ended. Most RCIA groups have the neophytes (the newly baptized & converts from other Christian denominations) go through post-baptismal classes in mystagogia. /QUOTE]
Happens more often than you think… three local parishes… and all three have ended their programs for the season - no mystagogia and the same situations with Bible studies in the parishes… nothing for the working class. Been something I’ve been fighting to change from the parish counsel now for 4 years.

@Thomas1981:
Get with the Deacons and your RCIA program director and tell them that you would really like to get the RCIA group together and continue studies. Offer to take the lead role if needed. Sometimes you just have to pick-up the ball and carry it yourself - not the best, but at least you will have made the effort.
 
I joined the Church myself this Easter and am currently in the “mystagogia”. I am involved with a Bible Study and Holy Name Society at my parish, but also attend daily Mass at another parish on my way to work that has welcomed me with open arms. I can’t speak for all parishes/dioceses, but I think you’d be welcome in study groups, etc at a parish even if you’re not “registered” there. Also, since you live in Wisconsin, I imagine the link below might provide an opportunity to connect with other men. A friend of mine showed me this place and I intend to visit eventually:

holyhill.com/index.php/events/elijah-mens-group
 
Your Catholic journey has started. You have the Rosary and I don’t know if you order anything like One Bread, One Body or Magnificat or the Word Among Us for daily scriptural reading. Does your parish have a bulletin with upcoming adult classes or events? That is a good way to meet people. Just be glad you are finally part of the Catholic church and continue learning about saints, prayers, history, what we believe, Mary. Just be patient with yourself.
 
As others stated there is usually a short period after the easter vigil. But even with that you will still come to the end.

For me I’d been wanting to join the church for a long time, finally was able. I chuckled to a friend about the ok yippee I finally was recieved “now what” moment.

Follow up with your RCIA director and sponsor and ask for their (name removed by moderator)ut as they probably know you better. Our, and other, parishes have various things going on over time. These are usually mentioned in announcements or in the bulliten.
 
I understand this feelings behind the original post. I, too, joined at Easter and RCIA is over. Our RCIA leader said he will set up about 4 Mystagogia classes but then we’ll be done for good. Bible Study in my Parish is also in the mornings on weekdays, when I’m at work. It’s been suggested that I lead an evening Bible Study but I don’t yet feel up to the task and also would like about a year to just blend into the background and learn more about the customs of my new Faith. I don’t mind helping but would like to be more of a background helper for now, like maybe cleaning the Church or something.

When I went to Mass on Sunday it was my first Mass where I really didn’t know anyone. The RCIA members have scattered, many have switched to the Vigil Mass on Saturday nights and I still go on Sundays. I don’t mind being in Mass itself alone, because I feel I’m there for the Lord, not to socialize. But the KoC was doing a breakfast right after Mass and I wasn’t sure if I’d find anyone to sit with. As it was I did, but I’m going to miss knowing I have friends for sure there. It’s like starting over, socially.
 
Mystagogia.
This is when you begin to explore your personal prayer life, your interests. the areas which you would like to study, the parish at large, the ministry you may be called to.
RCIA is not over. Call your RCIA Director and ask when classes resume.
God Bless.
 
I hope your parish has a mystagogy period. I’m excited about ours. The topics look awesome.

Please let us know what you find out!
 
Mystagogia.
This is when you begin to explore your personal prayer life, your interests. the areas which you would like to study, the parish at large, the ministry you may be called to.
RCIA is not over. Call your RCIA Director and ask when classes resume.
God Bless.
In our parish, there our no “classes” through this stage of our formation. The journey is more individual. We are encouraged and supported as we start to find our place in the parish, including becoming involved in ministries and further exploring the faith. The RCIA leaders and our priests are there to help us (and remind us frequently of their willingness to help), and there have been discussions with each of us about where we might see ourselves becoming involved based on the gifts others see in us, but this is really a chance for us to “find our feet” in the faith, so to speak.
 
In our parish, there our no “classes” through this stage of our formation. The journey is more individual. We are encouraged and supported as we start to find our place in the parish, including becoming involved in ministries and further exploring the faith. The RCIA leaders and our priests are there to help us (and remind us frequently of their willingness to help), and there have been discussions with each of us about where we might see ourselves becoming involved based on the gifts others see in us, but this is really a chance for us to “find our feet” in the faith, so to speak.
I see. However, that’s not typically the norm for the program. The period of Mystagogia is a vital element to instruction. It’s not really optional. Having a structure helps with this issue that the OP is feeling.

the typical segments are as follows:

Period of Inquiry
The Pre-Catechumenate
The Catechesis of the Catechumenate
Purification and Enlightenment
Mystagogy and Instruction in the Neophyte year

“The grace received from the Easter mysteries propels the new Catholics into the final period of post-baptismal catechesis, called mystagogy. The term comes form the Greek 'Mystagogia” which refers to instruction in the weeks following, and lasts for at least seven weeks until Pentecost. Mystagogy is properly situated after the reception of the sacraments because only then do our fledgling Catholics, the neophytes, have the grace to understand and appreciate the sacred mysteries of the Church in a more profound manner. The process of penetrating deeper into the mysteries of God continues past the period of mystagogy into the remainder of the neophyte year as they frequent the sacraments and strive for holiness. While the neophyte year terminates the following Easter, this process of continually penetrating the mysteries characterizes Christian existence. We are pilgrims here on earth, sustained and nourished by the Eucharist, a foretaste of the heavenly banquet that awaits all of us."
 
I don’t think my church has any post-Easter RCIA classes either. I can sympathize with the OP because I feel like something is missing now the classes are over.
 
I don’t think my church has any post-Easter RCIA classes either. I can sympathize with the OP because I feel like something is missing now the classes are over.
I’m sorry to hear this.
I would seek out some ministry where there are a lot of members to get to know some people, but really, the most important thing is to bolster your study and pray life. try various devotions, retreat opportunities, days of reflection to see what speaks to you.
If you watch the bulletin or the Diocesan website, there are likely tons of things to participate in that will help. Remember, catechesis is a life-long thing, No one is ever done learning about God.
God bless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top