"Feeling" God

  • Thread starter Thread starter awke
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

awke

Guest
What do people mean when they refer to “feeling God” in prayer?
 
What do people mean when they refer to “feeling God” in prayer?
A feeling of comfort, peace, and that God loves you.

And when doesn’t have those feelings, make acts of faith, hope, and love to the Lord.
 
Once i read a little testimony/article/book chapter where the writer communicated something like, “i never felt God in high school but I felt him every day in Vietnam.”

Depending on one’s state in life, life decisions, life circumstances … God’s providence may guide in different ways and this may leave different impressions upon the recipient. Just a thought.
 
I am not really sure if this is it, but I will try to explain from my own experience what I think ‘‘feeling God’’ means.

For me, it was a period of time after my conversion. It was an incredibly strong feeling of God’s love. In such moments, God was so obvious to me, that I simply could not doubt him or his existence, even if I would want to. Therefore, I was in such peace, that I would accept any evil or suffering that would come to me and even rejoice in it. I dreamed of being a monk or a hermit, living alone, literally feeling like ‘‘all I need is God’’. I had no big trouble loving my enemies etc. If someone would beat me, steal all my things and my clothes and left me alone in the rain, I would propably just bless them and walk away naked, praising God. Haha :D. It is like nothing can separate you from God’s love and your love for him. Except God himself ofcourse. And prayer was something like when you hold hands with a person you love.

If this is what heaven feels like, I am looking forward to it.

Right now, I am going through a rather dark moments, not feeling God at all. There’s doubt and temptation everywhere. It is hard for me to even realize, that I ever felt God in such a way. But I am thankful for this experience, for it makes me not give up.
 
The Lord puts us to the test for our spiritual growth. He takes away the “feelings” that make everything easy, and wants us to commit to loving Him and others in the “dark night”.

He knows we are but dust, and relieves us with His Presence now and then; but He does want us to be more and more sanctified. We will not be tempted beyond our strength.
 
I wouldn’t really say at all times it’s a feeling…probably more than that.

Sometimes, I just know He is there without any explanation why. (For instance, I’m traveling and there’s just this knowing that He is there with me)

There are times, I intuitively see He is looking at me. He looks at me…and I feel calm and safe.

There are times that he gives consolation (peace and unexpected inner joy)

At times in prayer i ask him questions or when I discern…in event He responds to me and I know it is God responding.
 
What do people mean when they refer to “feeling God” in prayer?
Have you ever had a shot of liquor? Imagine the burning sensation of that shot, deep in your heart, but lasting far longer, and consisting of a deep peace and the perception of light.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top