Feeling guilty being a eucharistic minister

• Thread starter Thread starter Donmar35
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Donmar35

I’ve been an eem in my parish for the past 4 years. The best part of it is, each Sunday we bring communion to the homebound. I really dislike distributing at Mass. It brings up a larger question. Should all these people really go to commion when our confession lines are so small. Am I being judgemental ? Am I being scrupulous? Lately, I only feel right receiving communion from a priest, and on the tongue. If circumstances force me to go to an eem, I receive in my hand. I don’t believe it would be an option to just bring communion to the homebound. They’re so appreciative that it’s trully humbled me in a way that I’ve never experienced. Our parish priest is sort of unapproachable. Any insights would be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much for this forum,

Donald

In my parish there are certain EM’s who just bring The Holy Eucharist to the homebound…they prefer not to give it at Mass…I suspect that could be one of the reasons. My husband is also an EM and I only receive from him or the priest on the tongue…my pastor isn’t very keen those receiving on the tongue…

I think I will stop EMEing next year, do to a number of scruples (we don’t need this many EMEs and to prevent myself from judging). When I move on, I think I will start receiving on the tongue, though I won’t do that while I am at my current parish, I can do without the thoughts about sudden changes in action. That and I am strongly considering going to a different parish for Mass, though I will continue to teach Confirmation, cause someone has to teach them the Orthodox faith, otherwise, perish the thought.

Just remember that being old, sick or homebound does not prevent a person from needing to go to confession, either. I hope your priests take their turn visiting them so the opportunity for confession is there if needed.

There’s a whole other thread on whether Extraordinary Ministers would resign if they perceived that they were contributing to an abusive situation in their parish - have you seen that discussion?

Here’s the link: forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=785

Betsy

40.png
NWUArmyROTC:
I will continue to teach Confirmation, cause someone has to teach them the Orthodox faith, otherwise, perish the thought.
Amen. Teach the young Orthodox Catholicism and attend Latin Mass. This is the future of our Holy Mother Church.

You may not agree with all he says (much less want to put him in charge) but John Vennari’s lecture “The Truth About Communion in the Hand” ,available on cassette, caused many EM’s to resign.

I’m amazed and encouraged by how many people are starting to take this topic seriously and putting proper eucharistic devotion ahead of their egos. This is very positive!

This is from Canon Law:
Can. 230
1 Lay men whose age and talents meet the requirements prescribed by decree of the Episcopal Conference, can be given the **stable ministry of lector and of acolyte, through the prescribed liturgical rite. ** This conferral of ministry does not, however, give them a right to sustenance or remuneration from the Church.

3 Where the needs of the Church require and ministers are not available, lay people, even though they are not lectors or acolytes, can supply certain of their functions, that is, exercise the ministry of the word, preside over liturgical prayers, confer baptism and distribute Holy Communion, in accordance with the provisions of the law.
To me, this says that non-acolytes should only be distributing Holy Communion when no instituted acolyte is available. (Instituted “through the prescribed liturgical rite.”)

To me, not having an instituted acolyte available should be rare, never a permanent state.

40.png
S_Corda:
To me, not having an instituted acolyte available should be rare, never a permanent state.
Exactly!

For the men here, how about seeking Institution as an Acolyte? It’s a service your Church can use and you can set the example.

For those men who are Readers at Mass, seek to be installed as a Lector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back