Fellowship

  • Thread starter Thread starter IneedGod
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IneedGod

Guest
Newbie trying to understand,
Our parrish started the coffe and doughnuts after Mass again. I was thrilled. It gives everyone a chance to fellowship and get to know others in the parrish.
Sadly not many came:(
Why does it SEEM like its too much trouble to fellowship your brothers and sisters in the church.
Do they EVER get together outside of Mass? I miss the closenes shared where I used to go.
(However that does not mean I would give up what I have found)
Thanks
 
I enjoy going to the once a month coffee, donuts, and fellowship time. My sister comes with me, and we always make it a point to sit at a table where there are only two people or so, and then we introduce ourselves and start chatting. I am a widow, and have the time to spare to enjoy meeting people I do not know at my parish.

There are many families with very young children that do not attend, as they want to get home and start their family dinner. Or, they may have other plans and need to leave and not spend another 30-45 minutes after Mass.

I hope you just keep enjoying the ones who go, and get to know them better!
 
Outside of mass??

Yes there is men’s clubs and women’s. Festivals, bake offs, athletics, cards , etc
 
Newbie trying to understand,
Our parrish started the coffe and doughnuts after Mass again. I was thrilled. It gives everyone a chance to fellowship and get to know others in the parrish.
Sadly not many came:(
Why does it SEEM like its too much trouble to fellowship your brothers and sisters in the church.
Do they EVER get together outside of Mass? I miss the closenes shared where I used to go.
(However that does not mean I would give up what I have found)
Thanks
I just re-read your original post, and I would like to add that it would be a great idea if all newbies were invited to a group where they could share and learn more. I’m assuming you went through RCIA? That’s where it could start. After the Easter Vigil Mass there should be ongoing gatherings of new people. Would that help?
 
Given that I currently attend both Catholic and CofE churches, I see quite a contrast on this issue. At my local CofE church, most people stay for a drink after services and talk for a while and this is also a great way for people to have a chance to ask if they want to get involved in something at the church.

There are many things I love about going to Catholic masses. A wonderful reverent liturgy that provides a deeper and more spiritual experience. Beautiful churches. Lots of services available so you can always go on any weekday if your free. But it is a shame that you don’t get the opportunity to socialise with people. Christian fellowship is important, and as I said there is also the practical utility that its easier to get people involved more in the church.
 
I don’t usually stay for coffee and donuts but I like getting to know other parishioners at scripture study, cursillo groupings and ultreya, various adult formation gatherings, picnics, various volunteer activities, and RCIA inquiry. I encourage you to keep trying to get to know others by getting involved if you can. Pick a ministry and jump in. Also, if you’re not already, try sitting in the same area during Mass. You will start to recognize others and they you. Recognizing familiar faces helps establish relationships. Best wishes as you build fellowship your parish.🙂
 
Some things you have to give time to get to work. Perhaps asking the Priest to invite everyone when the mass is ended might get some more participation. Our monthly coffee/doughnuts is very well attended, but it was not always so.
 
Given that I currently attend both Catholic and CofE churches, I see quite a contrast on this issue. At my local CofE church, most people stay for a drink after services and talk for a while and this is also a great way for people to have a chance to ask if they want to get involved in something at the church.

There are many things I love about going to Catholic masses. A wonderful reverent liturgy that provides a deeper and more spiritual experience. Beautiful churches. Lots of services available so you can always go on any weekday if your free. But it is a shame that you don’t get the opportunity to socialise with people. Christian fellowship is important, and as I said there is also the practical utility that its easier to get people involved more in the church.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

There are other ways of getting to know other parishioners besides coffee and donuts, which is very well attended in my parish. I have met a lot of new parishioners by becoming a part of a spiritual book study discussion group; and also Bible studies in my own parish and other parishes. I’d be going to evening activities at my parish if I could still drive at night; there are some great speakers available then. I stay with the daytime activities now. 🙂
 
Yes those things are good. I belong to a rosary group and have made friends with them 🙂
I still dont get the “lets get our duty done and get out of here” mentality…or so it seems.
Could be me?
 
Yes those things are good. I belong to a rosary group and have made friends with them 🙂
I still dont get the “lets get our duty done and get out of here” mentality…or so it seems.
Could be me?
I forgot to mention Rosary groups in each others homes! We do that also.

Sadly, there are a lot of parishioners who do not get involved in anything at all in their parishes. I know what you mean.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top