Female acolytes

  • Thread starter Thread starter joeganshert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joeganshert

Guest
Growing up in my parish, I thought that only girls could be acolytes. I later found out that this was a semi-backwards thought. When did the Church stop using only male acolytes? And it seemed to me, that females were encouraged to be acolytes, whereas, the boys weren’t. I am a little confused on this, because, from my previous reading, many vocations to the priesthood and religious life began with serving as acolytes.
 
Growing up in my parish, I thought that only girls could be acolytes. I later found out that this was a semi-backwards thought. When did the Church stop using only male acolytes? And it seemed to me, that females were encouraged to be acolytes, whereas, the boys weren’t. I am a little confused on this, because, from my previous reading, many vocations to the priesthood and religious life began with serving as acolytes.
I believe you mean Altar Servers, or Altar Boys as they used to be called.

The term Acolyte comes from one of the steps to becoming a priest. The Acolytes were the ones who would carry the candles in procession and “serve the mass” so to say.

The Church stopped male only altar boys back in the 1990’s out of pressure from feminist groups. It is really amazing how it happened, it truly is.

At first it was always NO, NO, NO. The Bishops, the Pope, were all against it. It was the big thing on EWTN, on Mother Angelica Live. The Pope even issued a document AGAINST female altar servers.

However shortly after that they allowed females to be altar servers- came just about the time the Episcopal church decreed women can be ordained to the priesthood.

Ken
 
Ken,

What document did Pope John Paul II issue against female altar servers? I can’t find it on the Vatican website. Please help.

Thanks

Jonathan

However shortly after that they allowed females to be altar servers- came just about the time the Episcopal church decreed women can be ordained to the priesthood.

Ken
 
However shortly after that they allowed females to be altar servers- came just about the time the Episcopal church decreed women can be ordained to the priesthood.
Hmm? Female priests were allowed in the Episcopal Church at 72nd General Convention in 1976. You may be referring to female Episcopal bishops.

God bless,

Adam
 
Btw, “female acolytes” - don’t do it. 😉

God bless,

Adam
 
As has been pointed out, you are confusing terms here. There is no such thing as a female Acolyte- only female altar servers. The office of Acolyte is an instuted ministry within the church reserved for males only. The position of Acolyte is just under a Deacon and ministers to the altar and to the priest during Mass. Among the duties of an Acolyte are setting up the altar for communion, assiting the priest in distributing holy communion (the acolyte is the most proper assitant in communion, over an EMHC), either the precious body or precious blood, and finally consuming the remains of the precious blood, performing the inital purification of the vessels, and cleaning tha altar. Acolytes, and lectors, should be instituted by a bishop and the role is reserved for males. I and 32 other males were instuted into our diocese as permanent Acolytes by bishop Vasa in September of this year. I hope this helps!
 
St. Eric,
Bishop Vasa is a good man, he was once a Priest in my Diocese and grew up in a town 15 miles from where I now live. I myself have been installed as a Acolyte as of last year. The Diocese I live in (Lincloln, Nebraska) does not allow girl alter servers and has men Acolytes and Lectors serving each mass that are installed by the Bishop. I believe this is the only Diocese left in the nation who still holds to this and might add we have the highest percentage of vocations entering the priesthood in the nation. I was told that Bishop Vasa was bringing back Acolytes in the Diocese that he is now leading but was meeting with some resistance. This will only strengthen your diocese for the future. 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top