I am Catholic and my partner was also raised as a Catholic. A few years ago his parents converted to Born again Christians. Both my partner and I have our hearts set on a Catholic wedding, but we have been shocked and obviously upset by the news that they are refusing to attend our church wedding. We really can’t understand this.
Can any one shed some light on a Born Again Christians views to refuse attending a catholic church wedding? Or what we can do/say to help in this situation as it is really upsetting.
FWIW: My wife is Evangelical (a variety of BAC); her peeps didn’t view Catholics as Christian–different situation, but I feel for you…anyway…
Here’s what I would suggest.
Take them out to lunch or such.
Ask them why they have indicated that they
may not attend (note: this is intentional; give them an ‘out’–don’t pin them into a corner, where they will have to swallow their pride to back peddle).
Listen to what they have to say. Patiently. Don’t bother trying to convince them otherwise–that is, don’t seek to convert, or proselytize or such–not at this point. Simply seek to understand them–from them–from ‘the horse’s mouth’.
Here’s why I suggest this–you force them to look you in the eye, as they explain themselves; be attentive–sincerely attentive—listen, and process what they are communicating to you. Do not react, other than to communicate that you are listening, and have listened to them.
AFTER you have heard them out, here’s what you communicate to them (regardless of how harsh or insulting their words may be):
We’d like you to attend our wedding. And we think you may regret not attending, if you insist on not attending. We expect to have children in the future. If you do not attend your wedding, I will be forced to explain to them, your conspicuous absence from the ceremony in which their parents committed to one another, before God.
…and it may cause strain on our relationship (that is, their r’ship with their own son, and you), and it may impair your relationship from
your grandchildren, perhaps even your ability to have one with them.
(or words to that effect).
Just a suggestion.
FWIW.