Finally a decent, well-done TV series?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cat

Guest
I think it’s really important that Christians actually WATCH shows and support other arts endeavors that are good and decent. So often, all we do is complain about how everything is “bad” and unsuitable for Christians. Then when something “good” comes along, we ignore it, and it goes off the air or out of the theaters, and the secular media has more proof that Christian-friendly arts have no audience, and then producers of arts don’t bother to even try to appeal to Christians.

I realize that some of you believe that the medium of television itself (which means ALL shows from all times) is inappropriate for Christians. So this won’t matter to you.

But I think most of us Christians enjoy the medium of television and would like to see “good” shows.

And even those of you who never watch television need to recognize that most other people in the U.S watch television, and therefore, we need to support shows that are friendly to Christianity for the sake of improving our culture and society. If we allow television producers to have utter freedom to do as they please because “we aren’t watching anyway,” we become part of creating a hostile-to-Christianity culture, and it ultimately affects us in bad ways.

whosay.com/articles/2863-10-reasons-we-cant-wait-for-scorpion

This is a link called 10 Reasons Why We Can’t Wait for the CBS Show Scorpion.

One of the 10 reasons in this link is a 4-minute trailer of the CBS show Scorpion. Watch it and see what you think.

I have high hopes that this show will finally be a decent (although the “a” word is used), exciting, well-written, well-acted ensemble show. It sounds like something so different.

Some people have called the show The Big Bang Theory on adrenaline. I personally despise, HATE with a passion, The Big Bang Theory. I think it’s insulting to all “smart” people.

But Scorpion sounds like a show that will elevate the status of smart people.

In case you’re reluctant to check out the link, this is the story of Walter O’Brien, one of the smartest people who has ever lived. His IQ is 197 (Einstein’s was 160). He really did start a computer organization called Scorpion. That’s what this show is about.

What’s really exciting is that O’Brien is one of the producers of this show, and he is on the set working with the actors to make sure everything is realistic. That is just so cool!

What I’m afraid of is that this show will be a little “too” patriotic and decent. Those are the kind of shows that actor Robert Patrick gets involved with (The Unit, The Last Resort)

Problem is, Christians don’t watch the shows because they think all television shows are of the devil (or at least, of evil men), and people who are hostile to traditional Christian values and patriotism don’t watch the shows because they are only interested in arts that insult God and denigrate the United States.

So the shows go off the air in one season. The Unit actually held out for 4 seasons, but only because Shawn Ryan was the writer/producer and Hollywood has a lot of respect for him because of his success with The Shield. But the “entertainment establishment” finally got tired of watching a show that was unapologetically supportive of the United States and that actually included religion in a positive way–and The Unit was axed. Darn

Same thing happened with The Last Resort, another Shawn Ryan effort. It was just too darn patriotic!

So I hope that Scorpion is able to stick around. I am SO SICK of shows about death being so popular (all the CSI shows, along with all the shows about solving gruesome murders, sex crimes, etc.) It’s no wonder we are a nation with a culture of death–all our most popular TV shows are immersed in death. I don’t see how people sleep after watching those shows.

The other shows that I’m sick of are the “fantasies.” My husband is into these, and they become more ridiculous every week, adding character after character (Cecil B. DeMille would be proud!). The plots are so complex and convoluted that sometimes, the viewer is told to watch an online “extra” show to be able to fully understand the broadcast show.

And then there are the comedies. They aren’t even funny.

And it sounds like ALL of the shows on TV, dramas and comedies, are rushing to include a gay couple and a gay wedding, or at least a gay kiss/make-out scene, this season. Yuck.

I know that sometimes people here on CAF complain about the reality shows, but at least they are “real” (kind of, if you stretch the imagination and try to forget about the editing crew!), and they inform us about different cultures and families.

So I’m really keeping my fingers crossed about Scorpion!
 
On the whole, I think that most of the shows on TV are terrible – I check every day to see what is on at night and my favorites are “Criminal Minds” and “Law and Order” – I also check what is on EWTN and the Military channel a/c I’m World War II history “buff” and the military channel often has programs about the war. I also check the Turner Movie Classics because I do enjoy some of those “old” movies. Frankly, if it is a “bad” night I would prefer to go to bed and read a good book.
 
Try History Channel’s “Vikings.”

For lighter fare, “Growing Up Fisher” is great; and then the silly: “The Goldbergs.”
 
Try History Channel’s “Vikings.”

For lighter fare, “Growing Up Fisher” is great; and then the silly: “The Goldbergs.”
Don’t have cable. Don’t want it.

That’s another reason I’m excited about Scorpion–it’s on network TV (poor people TV!).
 
Try History Channel’s “Vikings.”

For lighter fare, “Growing Up Fisher” is great; and then the silly: “The Goldbergs.”
Don’t have cable. Don’t want it.

That’s another reason I’m excited about Scorpion–it’s on network TV (poor people TV)!
 
Miserissima: What channel and times are your recommended viewing on – Growing Up Fisher – The Goldberg’s – and The Vikings on the History channel – I’ve tried looking them up but haven’t been successful – Many thanks for the information – Barmelg
 
Don’t have cable. Don’t want it.

That’s another reason I’m excited about Scorpion–it’s on network TV (poor people TV!).
Growing Up Fisher is NBC; Goldbergs are on ABC, both of which are network.
 
Miserissima: What channel and times are your recommended viewing on – Growing Up Fisher – The Goldberg’s – and The Vikings on the History channel – I’ve tried looking them up but haven’t been successful – Many thanks for the information – Barmelg
Vikings History Channel history.com/shows/vikings new season tba but you can get caught up via OnDemand, Google Play, or Amazon

Growing Up Fisher NBC (Too wholesome for TV I guess, it’s been canceled but) season one episodes here: m.nbc.com/growing-up-fisher

Goldbergs ABC Season 2 premiere announced and catch season 1 episodes here: abc.go.com/shows/the-

For local repeat airing times, go to TV Guide . Com and put in your ZIP. You can then search for show by name.
 
Hmmm I was interested in this Scorpion show, but I don’t have cable service. Can I get it on my roku or off the internet? 🙂 I didn’t see it on Roku.
 
Hmm, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t watch TV at all.

But in a way I don’t really watch TV. It is on a lot in my house, though normally on kids PBS shows. But I don’t follow any shows specifically anymore. I will have it on in the background while I am on my computer or what not. The shows I enjoy when they come on are Blue Bloods and Person of Interest (which I don’t really get to see anymore because it is on too late). I also enjoy watching Wipeout! and America Ninja Warrior (neither of which I have caught this season). They are fun and short, and good for some laughs. (Kind of like AFV).

You know it is interesting, I generally enjoy Big Bang Theory, but I think it devolved relatively quickly into sexual innuendo and cheap jokes. I do not keep up with the current seasons.

First seasons of shows tend to be the best, after a while they tend to get weird or crass (depending on their demographic) in order to “stay interesting” as the writers run out of ideas. I think this is happening with Person of Interest. The story line is starting to get really weird.
 
…Goldbergs are on ABC, both of which are network.
I love “The Goldbergs,” though a lot of the humor is very 1980’s-specific, so anyone who didn’t ‘get’ movies like “The Goonies” (one episode) and video stores (another episode) and microfiche at the library (before there was the internet) might not ‘get’ the humor the show…I’m glad I’m not the only who loves the show. Unlike most garbage on TV, “The Goldbergs” is taken from the creator’s own personal experience - I like how every episode ends with actual home-video footage of the people dramatized in that particular episode. (I wonder if they got releases from all his family.) But, yeah, more people should be watching “The Goldbergs” - it’s too bad the show didn’t get any Emmy nominations - the mom’s the funniest TV mom in quite a long time. 😃
 
I agree that Person of Interest is getting weird-but then again…so is tech stuff.
 
I agree that Person of Interest is getting weird-but then again…so is tech stuff.
It sort of reminds me of Alias, and how that got really weird at the end. Though I don’t think it has gotten that weird yet.
 
It sort of reminds me of Alias, and how that got really weird at the end. Though I don’t think it has gotten that weird yet.
I’m a big POI fan, and yes I agree that it’s getting a little strange, but I’m trying to be optimistic about it! :gopray2:

Now that Samaritan is fully online who knows what will happen. It would be nice to see a tiny splash of faith now and then in POI. What about other shows? Is religious conviction really a taboo in mainstream prime time shows?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top