Finding a Spiritual Director

• Thread starter Thread starter SHEMP
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SHEMP

I don’t have anyone that I would consider a “Spiritual Director”. How do you go about finding a good (orthodox) spiritual director? If anyone knows of any info to help finding a spiritual director in the Chicagoland area, it would be of help.

I am curious as to how others use their spiritual director. Do you meet with him at regular intervals or as needed?

Shemp,

To find a spritiual director I suggest that you find a priest that you like and respect, then go up to him and ask him to be your spiritual director. My own spiritual director and I meet on a fairily regular basis, though it usually depends on what your needs/wants are. It also depends on the priest’s schedule. Tell him anything that you think is important to your faith life, tell him any struggles that you might be going through or temtations that you might be experienceing and look to him for guidence. If it is discernment that you need help with tell him why you think you are called and ask him any questions that you might have. Hope this helps. God bless.

Meanwhile, until you find a priest, you and anyone else may find serious benefit in reading a Catholic classic entitled Abandonment to Divine Providence - available in print and online.
You might find this enlightening (extract):
The divine activity permeates the whole universe, it pervades every creature; wherever they are it is there; it goes before them, with them, and it follows them; all they have to do is to let the waves bear them on.
Would to God that kings, and their ministers, princes of the Church and of the world, priests and soldiers, the peasantry and labourers, in a word, all men could know how very easy it would be for them to arrive at a high degree of sanctity. They would only have to fulfil the simple duties of Christianity and of their state of life; to embrace with submission the crosses belonging to that state, and to submit with faith and love to the designs of Providence in all those things that have to be done or suffered without going out of their way to seek occasions for themselves.
This is the spirit by which the patriarchs and prophets were animated and sanctified before there were so many systems of so many masters of the spiritual life. [1] This is the spirituality of all ages and of every state. No state of life can, assuredly, be sanctified in a more exalted manner, nor in a more wonderful and easy way than by the simple use of the means that** God, the sovereign director of souls**, gives them to do or to suffer at each moment.
Here is one page discussing direction - but that book is one as many as possible should read in understanding the spiritual life, imho.

I would suggest reading Fr. Thomas Dubay’s book “Seeking Spiritual Direction: How to grow the Divine Life within”. It is carried by Catholic Answers. Bottom line is that good spiritual directors are very hard to find. They generally do not advertise. Know what you are looking for, ask around, pray, and persevere.

peace be with you! i don’t know how far you would be willing to drive…but i know there is a very good group of religious in Illinois. they are in a small city called Princeville (not too far from Peoria). they belong to a religious congregation called the Community of St. John (note: this IS NOT the society of st. john). they focus on the contemplative and are very deeply schooled in philosophy, especially the thought of Aristotle and St. Thomas Aquinas. they are both holy and learned and I would recommend them to you because you are in Illinois. one of their priests, Fr. Antoine Thomas has been on EWTN a few times do children’s Holy Hours. they are amazing! hope that helps!

in Jesus and Mary,
dominic savio

I too am in search of a Spiritual Director. I have been told that there are some in my area, Milwaukee, WI, who train just to do this. The person who gave me this information told me that I would have to pay for their services as a Spiritual Director. I was wondering how others felt about paying for Spiritual Direction. I too have just started reading an interesting book which has alot of good information which may help to guide one’s spiritual life: The Spiritual Direction of Saint Claude de la Colombriere, published by Ignatius Press- ISBN # 0-89870-682-3. St Claude covers a variety of topics that one may cover with their own director. Joe

I have felt the Lord really “after me” to find a spiritual director lately, so I am happy to see this thread. Any suggestions in the Los Angeles Area? thanks.

I sure wish I could help Shemp, but I am searching for one myself, down here. I think all of the posts on the topic were very nice, but ya know, I really don’t want to read a bunch of books, I just need some real life guidance.

Reading various books are of tremendous benefit, but on this matter, dad gone it…I just need personal advice.

Good luck in finding a spiritual director Shemp.

40.png
SHEMP:
I don’t have anyone that I would consider a “Spiritual Director”. How do you go about finding a good (orthodox) spiritual director? If anyone knows of any info to help finding a spiritual director in the Chicagoland area, it would be of help.

I am curious as to how others use their spiritual director. Do you meet with him at regular intervals or as needed?
Have you had any answers in your life for this?:whacky:

contact your diocese for referrals to religious communities that have this charism, or to individual directors. Someone who supports themselves through this ministry has the right to be paid, just as anyone else in ministry does. Fees are generally very modest and waived in case of need. \

You may put a priest on the spot by asking him to be your director (although he may be flattered) but not every priest is blessed with the gift of spiritual direction. All things being equal I would look for an older person, more likely to be spiritually advanced themselves, not giving advice learned from a book or class. Retired priests have been my best directors. during period of great need and turmoil went regularly, now as needed, about twice a year, at a hermitage and retreat center near us that is the residence for two renowned directors who have written extensively on spirituality and movement through the phases of spiritual growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back