H
HCC
Guest
Frequent confession
Frequent Mass/reception of communion
Daily Rosary
Frequent Mass/reception of communion
Daily Rosary
Yes he find it very difficult, the reference to the Catholic Scandel is relevant. He doesn’t blame the Catholic Church per se - just evil people in the world. He knows nothing of religion so as was mentioned it is like a child with brocolli refusing to eat it when they’ve never tried it. I am thinking of asking him to attend ONE mass with me, and I will say to him that that is all I expect him to do himself in relation to my faith. I want him to come to at least one with me to help him understand why I go and why I love the idea of being a Catholic. I think it might be an eye-opener to him and I really want him to go at least once so he can understand and support me better. He really means it when he says he respects me for my beliefs; when he mocks me I think it’s just his habit of trying to diffuse serious discussions into something more informal.Regarding the boyfriend that has issues from some childhood past. Not sure what that is. I suppose it’s bad. And given the reference to Catholic Scandel. He must find it hard to function in a world that this same horrifying activity takes place everywhere else. It’s very traumatizing to say the least. But people really need to quit blaming the Catholic Church for the horror that exists within some. It’s not a church teaching. Just like it’s not a German thing to hate and kill jews, It’s not a gov’t plot to keep drug dealers in “the hood” so that some will never get passed the 3rd grade (like one of my college professors liked to teach:shrug![]()
While chastity is a step in the right direction - you need to stop the action. Period. If he loves you then he will stay. If he values sex he will leave. If he values sex more than you he is not marriage material. I have more thoughts on the matter but now that you know premarital sex is wrong than you need to know that engaging in it would also be denying God. In this it is not just the sin of sex it is the open denial of God that becomes the issue.My problem may have solved itself.
My boyfriend is considoring buddism, because he has admitted now that he wants a religion but buddhism fits in with his idea of creationism - that the universe is on a constant cycle of creation then destruction that never began and will never end. He mentioned to me that he might start being celibate before we get married, and suggesting to see whether we could do it or not.
Hope for us yet.![]()
I am taking this directly from the Catholic Answers Volume 5 Apologetics booklet on Moral Decision Making - It is on page 10:How is it an open denial of God? Just wondering, never heard that said before.
**
False Idea #2:
The “Fundamental Option” Theory**
The “fundamental option” theory claims tha once we choose to follow God, the we cannot break our relationship with God except by a direct, explicit rejection of Him. It saist that if we commit adultery or practice contraception ut do not explicitly reject God, then we do not commit a mortal sin.
As you might expect, this theory of morality s very popular today; and is even promoted by many Catholic theologians. Pope John Paul II strongly condemns this error in his 1993 encyclical, The Splendor of Truth. He points out that we willfully and knowingly engage in a seriousl sinful act, then we have deliberately disobeyed(and indirectly rejected) God, ad have lost sanctifying grace.
I hope the folks at Catholic Answers do not mind me excerpting that with reference but it was perfect.The belief that we can knowingly, willfully commit acts like adultery and fornication without losing sanctifying grace goes against the plain words of Sacred Scripture and two thousand years of Catholic tradition. To think that we could knowingly, and willfully disobey God in a serious way and still keep our union with Him is an absurd contradiction. That so many Catholics have accepted this theory emphasizes the serious moral confusion of our day.
Tell your boyfriend (just before you dump him for laughing at you) that there are many things which, if left up to the choice of a child, would be bad for them. We make those choices for them for their own good and, when the time comes and they are mature enough, we let them make those choices for themselves.He’s said he doesn’t want his children being brought up within a religion because he believes that they should have the choice.
Tell your boyfriend (just before you dump him for laughing at you) that there are many things which, if left up to the choice of a child, would be bad for them. We make those choices for them for their own good and, when the time comes and they are mature enough, we let them make those choices for themselves.
We don’t deny our child baptism for the same reason that we don’t deny them regular checkups at the dentist. Both are for their own good and they are free to reject either when they grow up. We choose that they should reject satan and be baptized. When they are old enough, they get to confirm their baptism and are free to say not be confirmed if they want.
Good argument for baptism!L/L… Chastity is very difficult. Sexual sin is very difficult to get rid of, expecially if the behavior is entrenched. Being a follower of Christ in general is difficult. We will have to bear our cross and it seems you are discovering yours - bear it bravely and you will be purified, become a wonderful person, a jewel which some great man will long to possess.
I can tell you that going to a priest and telling him of your struggle and asking him to help you make a good confession is a great step in the right direction.
Frequent confession will give you amazing graces and strength to get through temptation that you never thought you would be able to stand. Let’s just say that I know from example and leave it at that
I would suggest reading “Introduction to the Devout Life” by St. Francis de Salles as well.
It is my belief that if you give a man sex before marriage, he is likely not to respect you once you are married. Once you are married, he will just complain that he doesn’t get enough sex.
Tell your boyfriend (just before you dump him for laughing at you) that there are many things which, if left up to the choice of a child, would be bad for them. We make those choices for them for their own good and, when the time comes and they are mature enough, we let them make those choices for themselves.
We don’t deny our child baptism for the same reason that we don’t deny them regular checkups at the dentist. Both are for their own good and they are free to reject either when they grow up. We choose that they should reject satan and be baptized. When they are old enough, they get to confirm their baptism and are free to say not be confirmed if they want.
I will pray.
-Tim-
You do need to be baptized to receive confession but you should speak to the priest regardless, you can be comforted by pastoral counseling, as well as prayer.Good argument for baptism!I’ll put that to him next time I see him. I am also planning to speak to my Priest when I am able to about support on living a good Catholic life of chastity before marriage, and considor going to my first confession… but I have to be baptised first before doing that, don’t I?
![]()
This is true. I’ll see my Priest at RCIA on wednesday evening, I might try to approach him and ask him for advice. I do feel awkward speaking to him though, I’m only 5ft 4 and he’s 6ft 2! I can’t even see his face if I look straight at him!You do need to be baptized to receive confession but you should speak to the priest regardless, you can be comforted by pastoral counseling, as well as prayer.![]()
I know even part of Buddhist teaching is not harming the spirit of another - so if he is pushing you to do something that you feel is against your spiritual values than this should also be against his faith. It is at the very least respect for you. That should be all that needs to be said - if he needs more if you go to the top of this site there is a chastity tab you can click and get all kinds of information. Best of luck to you. Glad to hear about the progress you are making. Continuing to pray for you.Hi all, apologies for bumping this thread but I need advice again.
I’m now at the halfway point of RCIA and want to go to the doctors to have the implant removed. I have recently had aches and pains and unusual symptoms which bother me - which the doctor says is a side-effect of the implant. The thing is, I know that in doing so it will worry my boyfriend, and its a scarily big step for me also.
Is it a sin for me and him to share a bed? Because of where he lives, its often easier for him to sleep at mine overnight before a shift in the morning because it saves him 2 hours driving and he can drive me to my shift the next morning also.
Sexually, I’m still sinning. We have sex now only once a month at best. I’m not sure either of us would notice it if we both became chaste. He is now also showing signs of committing to buddhism - he wears mallah beads all the time (buddhist meditation beads) as part of his effort to stop smoking.
Can anyone suggest ways of explaining to him how important it is to be chaste before marriage? Like any videos, leaflets etc? Something I can send him informally without having to sit down and talk to him? I will do that, but I want him to encourage him to explore the issue on his own as well as while talking to me.
This is so hard.![]()
Hi LemonAndLime,Hi all, apologies for bumping this thread but I need advice again.
I’m now at the halfway point of RCIA and want to go to the doctors to have the implant removed. I have recently had aches and pains and unusual symptoms which bother me - which the doctor says is a side-effect of the implant. The thing is, I know that in doing so it will worry my boyfriend, and its a scarily big step for me also.
Is it a sin for me and him to share a bed? Because of where he lives, its often easier for him to sleep at mine overnight before a shift in the morning because it saves him 2 hours driving and he can drive me to my shift the next morning also.
Sexually, I’m still sinning. We have sex now only once a month at best. I’m not sure either of us would notice it if we both became chaste. He is now also showing signs of committing to buddhism - he wears mallah beads all the time (buddhist meditation beads) as part of his effort to stop smoking.
Can anyone suggest ways of explaining to him how important it is to be chaste before marriage? Like any videos, leaflets etc? Something I can send him informally without having to sit down and talk to him? I will do that, but I want him to encourage him to explore the issue on his own as well as while talking to me.
This is so hard.![]()
He knows about part of buddhism - but he’s decided not to follow thoseI know even part of Buddhist teaching is not harming the spirit of another - so if he is pushing you to do something that you feel is against your spiritual values than this should also be against his faith. It is at the very least respect for you. That should be all that needs to be said - if he needs more if you go to the top of this site there is a chastity tab you can click and get all kinds of information. Best of luck to you. Glad to hear about the progress you are making. Continuing to pray for you.
Also maybe you could look up some Buddhist teachings on chastity as well. They do have them.![]()