B
biblicalAdam
Guest
Hi all,
I am wondering if you all can give me some help here. I am having some difficulty finding “meaning” in the crucifixion.
The gospels are pretty easy for me to follow: Jesus does some great stuff and preaches repentance, forgiveness, and love. He is put to death because his message is wrongly interpreted as a threat to both the religious and political spheres. It is sin of others that ultimately leads to his death. Christ’s resurrection, according to the CCC “above all constitutes the confirmation of all Christ’s works and teachings.” So, it seems that the resurrection is first and foremost a confirmation by the Father that Jesus’ words and deeds were true. Namely that repentance/forgiveness/love is possibles. (this current of thought is also present in the speeches in the acts of the apostles…)
Ok, so the above makes sense to me and has meaning. But!! I run into problems finding meaning when I read the letters of saint Paul. “Christ Jesus whom God put forward as an expiation by his blood” (Rm 3:25). And in Peter: “we were ransomed with the precious blood of Christ.” And this idea is also prevalent in Hebrews (you get the idea and I will not quote).
My difficulty is that I cannot find meaning in his death (as presented by Paul) without falling into two errors:
[1] God the Father has a type of blood lust that must be fulfilled to hold back his wrath.
[2] We are incorporated into Jesus’ death/resurrection in some type of “magical” way. Reading Paul sometimes seems like hocus pocus. We are magically incorporated into Jess’s death and resurrection.
Also, it seems as through (as presented in St. Paul’s letters) that God operates on a level of love that is foreign to us. Take a dog, for example. If my dog bites me this is a bad act. And the dog (in some sense) knows is wrong. Yet, I do not demand the death of the dog! Nor do I require a human to take the forum of the dog so that I may accept forgiveness of the dog on an “equal” level to my humanity. Instead, I might reprimand the dog, and then re-show the dog how he should act.
And think of a parent and child. If the child wrongs the parent. The parent does not demand the child’s death… etc etc. Instead, we simply forgive out of love…
The most distressing thing here is that I struggle to find a unified presentation of the meaning of Jesus’s cross and resurrection. This is one of the central points of Catholic teaching and my guess is that if I ask most priests, theologians, or whoever to give a 5 minute explanation of how and why Jesus’s cross saves us (as expressed in Paul and Hebrews)… they will begin to stumble (of course they will say that an infinite God requires an infinite sacrifice…but that is not directly a Biblical theology but one that came much much later…but, why can’t God simply forgive out of love?). This is not to criticize the understanding of our Church leaders and writers, but I am simply trying to express my frustration.
Finally, just to make this clear, I am not some anti-catholic basher here. I simply need some help with this. Please someone make some sense out of St. Paul for me…
In Christ,
-Adam
I am wondering if you all can give me some help here. I am having some difficulty finding “meaning” in the crucifixion.
The gospels are pretty easy for me to follow: Jesus does some great stuff and preaches repentance, forgiveness, and love. He is put to death because his message is wrongly interpreted as a threat to both the religious and political spheres. It is sin of others that ultimately leads to his death. Christ’s resurrection, according to the CCC “above all constitutes the confirmation of all Christ’s works and teachings.” So, it seems that the resurrection is first and foremost a confirmation by the Father that Jesus’ words and deeds were true. Namely that repentance/forgiveness/love is possibles. (this current of thought is also present in the speeches in the acts of the apostles…)
Ok, so the above makes sense to me and has meaning. But!! I run into problems finding meaning when I read the letters of saint Paul. “Christ Jesus whom God put forward as an expiation by his blood” (Rm 3:25). And in Peter: “we were ransomed with the precious blood of Christ.” And this idea is also prevalent in Hebrews (you get the idea and I will not quote).
My difficulty is that I cannot find meaning in his death (as presented by Paul) without falling into two errors:
[1] God the Father has a type of blood lust that must be fulfilled to hold back his wrath.
[2] We are incorporated into Jesus’ death/resurrection in some type of “magical” way. Reading Paul sometimes seems like hocus pocus. We are magically incorporated into Jess’s death and resurrection.
Also, it seems as through (as presented in St. Paul’s letters) that God operates on a level of love that is foreign to us. Take a dog, for example. If my dog bites me this is a bad act. And the dog (in some sense) knows is wrong. Yet, I do not demand the death of the dog! Nor do I require a human to take the forum of the dog so that I may accept forgiveness of the dog on an “equal” level to my humanity. Instead, I might reprimand the dog, and then re-show the dog how he should act.
And think of a parent and child. If the child wrongs the parent. The parent does not demand the child’s death… etc etc. Instead, we simply forgive out of love…
The most distressing thing here is that I struggle to find a unified presentation of the meaning of Jesus’s cross and resurrection. This is one of the central points of Catholic teaching and my guess is that if I ask most priests, theologians, or whoever to give a 5 minute explanation of how and why Jesus’s cross saves us (as expressed in Paul and Hebrews)… they will begin to stumble (of course they will say that an infinite God requires an infinite sacrifice…but that is not directly a Biblical theology but one that came much much later…but, why can’t God simply forgive out of love?). This is not to criticize the understanding of our Church leaders and writers, but I am simply trying to express my frustration.
Finally, just to make this clear, I am not some anti-catholic basher here. I simply need some help with this. Please someone make some sense out of St. Paul for me…
In Christ,
-Adam