Firefighter donates part of his liver to California Bishop

• Thread starter Thread starter Fitz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fitz

This is an amazing story of courage on the Firefighters part.

fox40.trb.com/news/ktxl-040905firefighterhome,0,6204162.story?coll=ktxl-news-3
Firefighter, Bishop Recovering

Firefighter and Bishop Back Home

April 9, 2005

One week after a transplant operation, both the firefighter who donated part of his liver and the Sacramento bishop who received it are home from the hospital.

Dan Haverty left U.C. San Francisco Medical Center Saturday. Bishop William Weigand was released Friday.

Several months ago, when church officials announced they were looking for a liver for Bishop William Weigand, Sacramento Metro Firefighter Dan Haverty stepped up. Haverty says he is proud of the unique bond the men share.

Dan Haverty addressed reporters before leaving U.C.S.F. He said, “I’m feeling good,” but the assistant chief of the Sacramento Metro Fire Department will need about three months to fully recover from the transplant operation.

Haverty said, "My abdomen is still sore from the surgery and all the work that was done to remove a portion of the liver and give it to Bishop William Weigand.

Doctors removed about two-thirds of Haverty’s liver on April second. Bishop Weigand suffered from a condition that causes scarring around the liver. Now Haverty says the two men share a bond that cannot be broken. “I came in just to have a friend and I go home having a second brother and that’s a pretty great thing.”

Doctors say they are pleased with both men’s post-transplant progress. Haverty says any doubts went away days after surgery, when he saw Weigand up and walking around. Haverty said, “There was a sparkle in his eye and a glow on his face that has captured my memory forever.”

Bishop Weigand returned to Sacramento after being released from the hospital Friday. It will take about six months for him to fully recover from the transplant.

may God bless the Bishop, and the Firefighter and his family for the gift of life…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back