D
DonHudzinski
Guest
Most marriages are of the fallen nature that is like Adam and Eve, who choose to hide from God, for God said, “Why are you hiding from Me?”. Then Adam and Eve had to leave the garden.I just watched this movie since it was available from our parish library and came here to check out the comments. I didn’t watch it to be entertained, and wasn’t bothered by the level of production or acting (which I would compare to an episode of Touched By An Angel).
The opening scenes drew me in because of the realistic view of a modern marriage. I recognized and understood the sickening place this couple was in–the confusion, the words, the blaming–all of it was very true to life. I also appreciated that it was up to the man to restore the marriage. This was the most important message of the film. The man, as head of his wife, has to be the one to lead in the marriage, to lead in sacrifice and respect for his wife. The good marriages I see, though sadly few, are those where the husband treasures his wife, and she can’t help herself but to return this to him with her love and devotion.
I have read many, many marriage books–Protestant, Catholic and otherwise. I have not see this issue of the husband’s responsibility BEFORE the wife’s ever well expressed. It is always said to be a “two-way” street and that each have to “mutally” submit to the other. This is not the biblical view of marriage which is a picture of Christ and the Church. Christ, the bridegroom, gives Himself up for His bride, and she responds by offering herself completely to him. The man gives, the woman receives. Why don’t I hear that said much?
I really liked one of the initial commentsin the movie that some may think sappy, “A woman is like a rose. If you treat her with love and care, she will bloom. If you don’t, she will wilt.”
Some couples have found out that Christ has restored marriage, as God, Christ asks, Joseph and Mary, “Why are you looking for me?”. Then, He got up and left the temple, and went with Joseph and Mary. What a contrast?