N
nablaise
Guest
I need help to understand how the first 3 or 4 Chapters where made…i mean how the verses in those chapters were assigned and by who.
thanks in advance
thanks in advance
I’m curious why this is important?=nablaise;7863771]I need help to understand how the first 3 or 4 Chapters where made…i mean how the verses in those chapters were assigned and by who.
thanks in advance
I think the first five books of the Bible were authored by Moses or rather as the previous poster said:God working through Moses en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TorahI need help to understand how the first 3 or 4 Chapters where made…i mean how the verses in those chapters were assigned and by who.
thanks in advance
Several subjects are there is there a particularly subject to focus on? Generally Moses is credited with the first 5 books which are mostly verbal history. The Council of Nicea assigned the order, as far as I know.I need help to understand how the first 3 or 4 Chapters where made…i mean how the verses in those chapters were assigned and by who.
thanks in advance
I too have heard this claim. That God “dictated” [perhaps too strong of a word…“inspired” suits better our understanding], and this was done so the hebrew nation would know it’s roots and origin.=HickmanJosh;7863883]I think the first five books of the Bible were authored by Moses or rather as the previous poster said:God working through Moses en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah
Short answer: Archbishop Stephen Langton in the 13th century and (probably) the Masoretes.I need help to understand how the first 3 or 4 Chapters where made…i mean how the verses in those chapters were assigned and by who.
thanks in advance
PART ONE: THE PROFESSION OF FAITH:coffeeread:
CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
is in heaven comes lovinglyIn the sacred books,
the Father who
Genesis 1:1-2:3 is actually a post-Exilic synagogue litany chanted by Jewish congregations to put them in the frame of mind for worship much like our own Litany of the Saints. In this version of creation, man and woman were created on the very last day. Genesis 2:4-25 is much older, it dates from around the time of the division of Israel into the Northern Kingdom and Judah. That creation story has man created at the very beginning, then the animals, and finally woman. Ezra assembled the Torah around 460 BC and he made a single narrative from the two strands. The chapter divisions were assigned before this was understood.I need help to understand how the first 3 or 4 Chapters where made…i mean how the verses in those chapters were assigned and by who.
thanks in advance
Properly understood Gen 1 is written from God’s perspective and speaks to the order of creation. Gen 2 speaks to the importance of man. They are complementary texts.Genesis 1:1-2:3 is actually a post-Exilic synagogue litany chanted by Jewish congregations to put them in the frame of mind for worship much like our own Litany of the Saints. In this version of creation, man and woman were created on the very last day. Genesis 2:4-25 is much older, it dates from around the time of the division of Israel into the Northern Kingdom and Judah. That creation story has man created at the very beginning, then the animals, and finally woman. Ezra assembled the Torah around 460 BC and he made a single narrative from the two strands. The chapter divisions were assigned before this was understood.
Hey there Copland,I’ve put together footnotes from the Fathers and Doctors of the Church on half of Genesis here ocsb.wetpaint.com/
Thank you very much.Genesis 1:1-2:3 is actually a post-Exilic synagogue litany chanted by Jewish congregations to put them in the frame of mind for worship much like our own Litany of the Saints. In this version of creation, man and woman were created on the very last day. Genesis 2:4-25 is much older, it dates from around the time of the division of Israel into the Northern Kingdom and Judah. That creation story has man created at the very beginning, then the animals, and finally woman. Ezra assembled the Torah around 460 BC and he made a single narrative from the two strands. The chapter divisions were assigned before this was understood.
How is it not important?I’m curious why this is important?
Check here for a different view.Genesis 1:1-2:3 is actually a post-Exilic synagogue litany chanted by Jewish congregations to put them in the frame of mind for worship much like our own Litany of the Saints. In this version of creation, man and woman were created on the very last day. Genesis 2:4-25 is much older, it dates from around the time of the division of Israel into the Northern Kingdom and Judah. That creation story has man created at the very beginning, then the animals, and finally woman. Ezra assembled the Torah around 460 BC and he made a single narrative from the two strands. The chapter divisions were assigned before this was understood.
Interesting, because Genesis 1:1-Genesis 2:3 all the verses start with a vav, with the exception of verse 1:1 (which is a beit), and all of those have a v sound with the exception of Verse 30, where the vav is a shuruk makes a “u” sound.Genesis 1:1-2:3 is actually a post-Exilic synagogue litany chanted by Jewish congregations to put them in the frame of mind for worship much like our own Litany of the Saints.
I answered exactly the same question on another post, I’m not sure if it was you or someone else. But for one, my commentary never says that both trees are the same, at all. Second of all my commentary (via Aquinas quotation) makes the distinction clearly in the verse that first mentions both trees, and that is verse 2:9. If you are going to search a commentary concerning the distinction between both trees then you would be better off looking at verse 2:9, not 3:22. Here is the comment on the disticntion between both tree in my commentaryHey there Copland,
I went to your website and read the commentary there on Genesis 3:22
I noted that your commentary speaks of God booting Adam and Eve from the garden to prevent them from eating “again” from the tree of life.
Now I have spoken to the Bishop of the San Diego Diocese here in person about Genesis and the distinctions between the tree of knowledge and the tree of life. He agreed with me that they are two distinctly separate trees, and I believe that most if not all Catholics hold the same belief.
So either your website’s commentary is mistaken, or you must hold a different view of the matter.
I just wanted to bring the seeming discrepancy to your attention in case you’ve made an innocent error in your commentary Copland.
Respectfully,
jomoco
The tree of life is a material tree, and so called because its fruit was endowed with a life-preserving power. Yet it had a spiritual signification; as the rock in the desert was of a material nature, and yet signified Christ. In like manner the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was a material tree, so called in view of future events; because, after eating of it, man was to learn, by experience of the consequent punishment, the difference between the good of obedience and the evil of rebellion. It may also be said to signify spiritually the free-will. (St. Thomas Aquinas)