First Navarre book to buy

  • Thread starter Thread starter snowpea
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

snowpea

Guest
I am interested in starting to read the Navarre Bible-Mother Angelica recommended it many times…

It’s quite expensive/extensive so I want to start with one volume, can anyone recommend one to start with-looking for the most moving book rather than the most informative (or both)?

OT or NT I have no preference.

I am leaning towards St Paul’s letters but they are contained in a few different volumes.

Btw I know this is probably an ignorant question from a Catholic school attendee for over 12 years-but was Paul also an apostle? :confused:
 
I am interested in starting to read the Navarre Bible

It’s quite expensive so I want to start with one volume, can anyone recommend one to start with-looking for the most moving book rather than the most informative (or both)-OT or NT I have no preference

Would appreciate any (name removed by moderator)ut

Thank you
I had just read the Ignatius Study Bible New Testament so I decided to start with the OT in the Navarre series. I recommend the Pentateuch but it probably depends on your level of comfort with Sacred Scripture. If you are newer to scripture study I would probably suggest starting with the Gospels and working your way through the NT, though I am hardly an expert.

The nice thing about the Navarre series so far is that the commentary is very accessible. What I mean by that is that it is intellectual, but focused more than some others I have seen on how to use the sacred text in your own life. There is some historical approach of course, and also a good deal of the literal sense, but much of it is also based on St. J.M. Escriva’s own spirituality with liberal quotation from him as well as the catechism and many church fathers throughout. There is also a very detailed introduction for each book as well as collections of books. Its well worth the money in my view.

I really like it so far.

The best prices I found were through bestcatholicbible.com so you might try there.
 
Thank you Jwinch2-that is what I remember Mother Angelica saying-they were accessible and very explanatory-sounds good to me

Yes I am new to Scripture study thank you for the advice,
 
Wow it is super expensive-may have to wait.

Thinking on getting Imitation of Christ for about $3

I hate reading books online-is that book recommended if I have not read an explanatory Bible?

Thank you
 
Thank you Jwinch2-that is what I remember Mother Angelica saying-they were accessible and very explanatory-sounds good to me

Yes I am new to Scripture study thank you for the advice,
They are really good, I think you will enjoy them. Most people suggest that persons new to studying scripture should start with the NT. That being said, throughout the Navarre series, right next to the text, there are listings to text in other books in the Bible which correspond to what you are reading. So, if you are reading Genesis, chapter 1, you might see next to the text (Mt 3:15) or something like that, letting you know that there is a reference back to this particular verse at a later date or that this verse is foreshadowing something to come.

Its really quite impressive but to be fair, to truly study them in that way, you would need to have all of the books and jump back and forth whenever those references pop up, and they are frequent. However, you can get a ton of information just by reading the Sacred Text and the corresponding commentary.
 
Thank you JWinch2 I will have to think about what I want to read quite carefully
 
The first one I bought was ‘Gospels & Acts’, if I could only own one it would be this one.
 
I love the Navarre. You can get them used on Amazon fairly inexpensively. I am buying one book at a time. I’ve done the Gospels, and Acts, and the book of Revelation. Each one was about $12 with shipping (used but “like new”). Not bad if you buy one and then work your way through it before buying another.
 
I am interested in starting to read the Navarre Bible-Mother Angelica recommended it many times…
It’s really good. I use it extensively.
It’s quite expensive/extensive so I want to start with one volume…
I did the same thing. I purchased the series one book at a time until I had the full set.
…can anyone recommend one to start with-looking for the most moving book rather than the most informative (or both)?
OT or NT I have no preference.
Assuming that there is not a particular book that you feel drawn to studying at this time, I would suggest either the Pentateuch or Gospels & Acts.
I am leaning towards St Paul’s letters but they are contained in a few different volumes.
The Navarre commentaries on Paul’s letters are also available in a single volume
Btw I know this is probably an ignorant question from a Catholic school attendee for over 12 years-but was Paul also an apostle? :confused:
Paul was not a member of the 12 Apostles, but the Church uses the term “apostle” to also describe the saints who helped establish the first Christian churches in the first century. In this sense, both Paul and Barnabas are called “apostles” (for example, when the Mass on the feast day of Barnabas is offered, some of the Mass parts are taken from the “Common of Apostles”).

Moreover, Paul actually called himself an apostle. For example, consider how he begins his letter to the Galatians:

“Paul an apostle – not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead --” (Gal 1:1)
 
It should be noted that you can get the ENTIRE Navarre Bible New Testament available in a beautiful hard cover edition. This is a update and slight revision of the original series, where duplicate material was eliminated and new introductions were written. Also, I believe there are more references to the Early Church Fathers, and a few less from St. Josemaria Escriva. It’s not a bad deal for what you get.

amazon.com/Navarre-Bible-New-Testament-Expanded/dp/1594170754/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310666152&sr=8-2

(Let me also note that there is another single volume version of the Navarre New Testament that came out earlier than this one. It has a green cover. It uses the original content, but it’s abridged and it leaves out the Vulgate in Latin.)
 
It should be noted that you can get the ENTIRE Navarre Bible New Testament available in a beautiful hard cover edition. This is a update and slight revision of the original series, where duplicate material was eliminated and new introductions were written. Also, I believe there are more references to the Early Church Fathers, and a few less from St. Josemaria Escriva. It’s not a bad deal for what you get.

amazon.com/Navarre-Bible-New-Testament-Expanded/dp/1594170754/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310666152&sr=8-2
I thought about it for quite a while before deciding to buy the NT series in Hardback rather than the single volume but it was a tough call. I think the new single volume NT has some quotes from Pope B16 mixed in whereas the series uses a good deal of Blessed JP2.
(Let me also note that there is another single volume version of the Navarre New Testament that came out earlier than this one. It has a green cover. It uses the original content, but it’s abridged and it leaves out the Vulgate in Latin.)
I saw that one also but the reviews on amazon were not great from what I remember. Most people were complaining at the lack of depth in the commentary which I suppose should be expected from a abridged version.

Oh, and GEAUX TIGERS!!!

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

😉
 
jwinch2;8114743 said:
yes…if you want to start with the one volume…start with the new one (expanded)…not the “green one”…that one is not meant to have a lot of commentary…but is good for those who want a smaller amount…
 
I thought about it for quite a while before deciding to buy the NT series in Hardback rather than the single volume but it was a tough call. I think the new single volume NT has some quotes from Pope B16 mixed in whereas the series uses a good deal of Blessed JP2.
Remember they are “different” works…meant to go side by side (though each could stand alone …)

I like them both…and will go to both…🙂
 
Remember they are “different” works…meant to go side by side (though each could stand alone …)

I like them both…and will go to both…🙂
I understand but thanks for reiterating. I talked to the publisher about it and they indicated that there was some duplication of commentary but that that it was mostly a new work. I decided to stick with the series to keep things consistent. In addition to wanting to study sacred scripture, I am a bit of a bibiliophile so I wanted to have the whole series intact. There are some other series for studying scripture that I am looking at in the future and if Navarre puts out a OT companion to the NT Expanded Edition, I will likely pick both of them up.
 
I understand but thanks for reiterating. I talked to the publisher about it and they indicated that there was some duplication of commentary but that that it was mostly a new work. I decided to stick with the series to keep things consistent. In addition to wanting to study sacred scripture, I am a bit of a bibiliophile so I wanted to have the whole series intact. There are some other series for studying scripture that I am looking at in the future and if Navarre puts out a OT companion to the NT Expanded Edition, I will likely pick both of them up.
Yes of course there will be some that is similar or the same …for it is all about the New Testament 🙂

It is though part of the Navarre series…🙂 so it can be good to add it as well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top