First Sunday in Advent, different opening rite?

  • Thread starter Thread starter friarpark
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

friarpark

Guest
Is there any difference in the opening rite on the first Sunday in Advent?
After hearing some responses I will let you know what I happened upon tonight.
 
No differences as such, other than the Gloria is not sung. Some priests might choose to use certain options for the penitential rite only during Advent, or switch to a different option for the opening greeting, but none of these differ from what may be done an any other Sunday. The Rite of Sprinkling is another “always there” option. It’s also the case (and this question comes up fairly often) that the penitential rite is sometimes replaced if there is a baptism during Mass. It would take a mathematical formula to determine just how many different combinations of perfectly legitimate options might be combined in the opening rites of the Mass.

But the short answer is no. There’s nothing about the 1st Sunday of Advent which makes the opening of the Mass significantly different than on any other Sunday.
 
Well, there is the blessing of the Advent wreath. That happens on the first Sunday.
 
Well, what happened was this, to the best of my recollection.
We were traveling home from vacation and stopped at a parish we were told had beautiful altars and they do. The old styled ones that go up to the ceiling with multiple statues etc. So far so good. As Fr. came into church to vest for Mass a cell phone went off and he joked that it was the Holy Spirit calling to tell him to start Mass 2 minutes early to get Advent started. Then he came out of the sacristy with his cell phone open saying the Holy Spirit called back and we were to put an extra 5 in the collection basket. I had no problem with this. Then he came out vested for Mass: a light purple alb and a darker purple stole. Hmmm. Mass started, opening song, and then Fr. read a reading by the Advent candle gave no motion of blessing it and my wife told me later that he lit the candle so quick she didn’t see him do it. Then all of a sudden he read the opening prayer and went straight into the readings. No Sign of the Cross, no Penitential Rite, no Gloria (which I guess the ‘no Gloria’ is the standard for Advent). Between readings we all read the verses of the responsoral psalm and then said the response only before the first verse and after the last verse. And after the Homily (which I thought was very good) there was no Creed. From this point on everything seemed as usual, except that I never experienced this type of Communion host before. It seemed more like a cookie–it had what I would call a cookie crunch to it. The edges all had parts missing, it was that fragile. Is there a legitimate host that would have this characteristic? I would have guessed that there was 'honeycombing in the middle of the host, but that was just how it felt in my mouth. I almost cried as I returned to my seat. I try not to be too judgmental at Mass, but I was so distracted by all of this that I am going to Mass in the morning at my home parish since we are now home. Am I off base for being disturbed about this. I know nothing about the parish. Would a rural parish have such a rushed Sunday/Saturday (38 minutes) Mass to get the farmers home to their chores? Surely opening Mass without a Sign of the Cross isn’t asking for too much. The weirdest thing, is that with all that I described, the later part of the Mass was great. They had bells at the Consecration, they used patens (I guess they had to with such fragile hosts), they purified the vessels at the altar. I couldn’t ask for more in this regard. Let me know if I’m off base.
 
I am certainly not a Liturgy expert, but the only thing that would bother me is the lack of the Penetential Rite. Are you sure there was no “Lord have mercy” in there? The Confetior does not have to be used. As for the hosts, I’ve experienced many types, all legitimate. Ours are rather thick and have a “crunch”, and if the piece you received was broken from the main host, the edges would be irregular. Also, we used to have a type where the pieces were broken off from one very large piece in squares, and all the edges were irregular. As for the 38 minutes, if it is a small parish and there is not a lot of singing (you indicated that the psalm was read rather than sung), and not a lot of communicants, and the homily did not run above 6-7 minutes, that could be about right. My parish is large, and even with the full choir, the psalm sung, the homily, the processional, the Penetential rite, the Gloria sung, and 300-400 people receiving Communion, (we do use EMHC’s), Mass is about 55-60 minutes.

Someone else will have to answer about the Penetential Rite and the lighting of the Advent candle. Different parishes do the Advent candle lighting differently.
 
Ok. There’s certainly a lot here to cover. Unfortunately, there’s no canonical penalty for bad taste or bad judgment 😉 so as far as the cell phone thing goes, I’d rather forget that I ever read it.

The opening of the Mass should indeed have had the sign of the cross. Curiously enough, the Mass doesn’t always have this (the funeral Mass for example does not, because similar to the Easter Triduum, the funeral Mass is somewhat of a continuation of the Vigil which is presumed to have happened). There’s no excuse for not doing it, but it would not rise to the level of invalidating the Mass. Let’s hope it was a one-time thing.

Purple alb: not sure if that’s proper or not. An alb “should” be white (that’s why it’s called an alb after all from the Latin word for white). If he wore a purple one? Not something to make an issue about. He is required to wear the chasuble over the stole. This isn’t an option unless it’s a true necessity–in a parish setting, it’s hard to imagine a true necessity.

Advent wreath: unfortunately, the current Book of Blessings doesn’t contain words of actual blessing, so it’s entirely possible that he was saying exactly what’s found in the BB. The book says it should be blessed after the homily. Doing so at the beginning of Mass is technically not the way it’s described, but here again, all by itself that’s not a significant issue. In fact, it’s a very very minor infraction to do it at the beginning of Mass instead–so minor as to not make any difference.

He should not have omitted the penitential rite. Of everything you’ve described, that’s the only real problem, and it is indeed a problem. Take some comfort in knowing that while it was illicit, it wasn’t invalid.

Reading the psalm in that way is actually one of the options given by the Church–even though most Catholics don’t know this because they haven’t experienced it, and haven’t read the norms in the Lectionary. Legitimate option.

The Creed should have been said. Not saying it at a Sunday parish Mass with a congregation is technically against the norms, but once again, not something to make an issue about, unless it’s always done this way.

The hosts: from what you’ve said, it’s impossible to know if the hosts were valid matter or not. Let us hope they were. As long as they were made from pure wheat flour and water, with nothing else added, they were perfectly valid. Shape or texture (as long as they’re truly baked bread neither raw nor burnt) aren’t factors here. Hosts can come in a lot of different styles and still be valid matter. Often, Catholics who are accustomed to one kind travel and experience something different and get confused. Some people have never experienced whole wheat (only white flour) and can cause them to pause. If the host easily crumbles, it shouldn’t be used but it’s still valid matter. I know of one company that makes whole-wheat hosts which are very “stiff”, and are thick and very “spongy looking” (not a term found in liturgical norms, let me assure you!) I won’t use them myself, but they are valid matter so neither will I offer any criticism of a priest who does use them (this one is a matter of personal preference).

I understand why you’re upset at attending this Mass. Each item by itself is either a licit option or something that’s illicit but not a serious issue (as much as illicit acts can be not-serious). Taken as a whole, however, I can see why it would be disturbing.
 
Would a rural parish have such a rushed Sunday/Saturday (38 minutes) Mass to get the farmers home to their chores? Surely opening Mass without a Sign of the Cross isn’t asking for too much. The weirdest thing, is that with all that I described, the later part of the Mass was great. They had bells at the Consecration, they used patens (I guess they had to with such fragile hosts), they purified the vessels at the altar. I couldn’t ask for more in this regard. Let me know if I’m off base.
I can’t speak to what did or did not occur liturgically, since I wasn’t there.

I will address your question about length of the mass in a rural parish in WI, since I attend a rural parish in WI.

Our mass is typically about 40 minutes long, and probably shorter during advent/lent due to omitting the Gloria. Our priest is from another country, and it is difficult for him to give a lengthy homily in English. He writes out paragraphs in the bulletin expounding upon the readings. His homily at Mass is usually a short reflection, 3 minutes maybe. That, coupled with a small congregation makes for a Mass under 45 minutes.

It doesn’t have anything to do with farmers and chores. The farmers who think their chores are of highest importance aren’t there anyway, and the ones who think church is most important aren’t deterred by longer services (when our priest is on vacation a retired priest who is an Irishman takes over… then mass is over an hour!).
 
This is interesting. Something like that happened at my parish, too.

Last night, the blessing of the Advent wreath was at the start of the Mass and the penitenial rite was skipped. I was paying attention and it really wasn’t there.

(And there even was a ringing cell phone! A woman’s phone went off, just prior to Mass, and she answers it, then just sits there and chats! How rude. She only went outside when the projectionist put up the “Turn off your cell phones” sign on the powerpoint thingie.)
 
This is interesting. Something like that happened at my parish, too.

Last night, the blessing of the Advent wreath was at the start of the Mass and the penitenial rite was skipped. I was paying attention and it really wasn’t there.

(And there even was a ringing cell phone! A woman’s phone went off, just prior to Mass, and she answers it, then just sits there and chats! How rude. She only went outside when the projectionist put up the “Turn off your cell phones” sign on the powerpoint thingie.)
Outright skipping the penitential rite is disturbing. Yes, there are times when it gets “replaced” by something else (eg Baptism during Mass), but the blessing of an Advent wreath is definately not one of them. The Book of Blessings says it’s to be done after the general intercessions (not after the homily as I posted earlier–I want back and read it more closely). Curiously enough the BB also says that the intercessions follow the homily. Note: not “homily and creed” but “homily.” So it seems that if the ritual is followed, the creed is indeed omitted. It does say something about the new Book of Blessings that the intercessions seem to be considered of more import than the creed. I’ll withhold any further comment.

I was about to type a rhetorical question to the effect of “why do so many priests seem to think that the penitential rite is optional?” then I realized that I already know the answer. There are so many times when, according to the rubrics of the novus ordo, the penitential rite is (or may be) skipped, that it becomes very easy to understand just why so many people think this way.
 
Regarding the vestments, Redemptionis Sacramentum makes it quite clear that:
[123.] “The vestment proper to the Priest celebrant at Mass, and in other sacred actions directly connected with Mass unless otherwise indicated, is the chasuble, worn over the alb and stole”.213 Likewise the Priest, in putting on the chasuble according to the rubrics, is not to omit the stole. All Ordinaries should be vigilant in order that all usage to the contrary be eradicated.
Fr. David pretty much covered everything else.
 
Our parish had the blessing of the wreath at both the anticipated and the Sunday morning Mass with the ‘lighting family’ coming up in the procession and they and the priest going to the wreath after bowing to the altar.

The blessing from the Book of Blessings wasn’t used, rather a liturgy from the CCCB’s “A Book of Blessings for the Home and Family” was used, a ritual that included an opening prayer, scripture reading, blessing, concluding prayer. The only thing they omitted from this liturgy for the home was the General Intercessions.

The plan is to do this ritual every week before the lighting (minus the blessing). It turns a minor action into something major and in our case also the penitential rite was omitted.
 
The Gloria and the Nicene Creed were not said at our parish.

I didn’t know that the Nicene Creed was optional. I learned something new this past Saturday Vigil.
 
The Gloria and the Nicene Creed were not said at our parish.

I didn’t know that the Nicene Creed was optional. I learned something new this past Saturday Vigil.
The Gloria is not sung/recited during Advent nor Lent, unless a major solemnity like that of the Immaculate Conception or Our Lady of Guadalulpe (in the case of December) falls during that time.

The Creed should not be dropped unless there is a Baptism or an RCIA ritual embedded within the context of the Mass.
 
The Gloria is not sung/recited during Advent nor Lent, unless a major solemnity like that of the Immaculate Conception or Our Lady of Guadalulpe (in the case of December) falls during that time.

The Creed should not be dropped unless there is a Baptism or an RCIA ritual embedded within the context of the Mass.
Well, that’s not surprising. I wish everything happened the way its supposed too.
 
The Nicene Creed was said tonight at the Saturday Vigil, maybe last Saturday was just an accident. I guess we all make mistakes.
 
The Nicene Creed was said tonight at the Saturday Vigil, maybe last Saturday was just an accident. I guess we all make mistakes.
OTOH, at last night’s anticipated Mass there was again a rite for the lighting of the wreath and the penitential rite was again omitted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top