First Time Posters

  • Thread starter Thread starter noclevername
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

noclevername

Guest
Has anyone noticed how many sex questions are asked by first time posters? And some of the questions are very explicit. Sometimes it seems like verbal porn. I am sure some of the questions are legitimate but some see so far out there that it seems like a troll just coming onto the forum looking to stir things up. Can’t there be some sort of rule about asking questions so explicit? Should they post somewhere else a few times, introduce themselves, etc. I don’t know the answer but I get really embarrassed reading some of hte posts. And if I surf onto the website during my lunch hour at work, I get worried that someone might see those posts over my shoulder and wonder what kind of horrible forum I’m reading.
 
I suspect we get questions from regular posters who are too embarrassed to ask the question under their usual user ID. That may or may not make them trolls.
 
Has anyone noticed how many sex questions are asked by first time posters? And some of the questions are very explicit. Sometimes it seems like verbal porn. I am sure some of the questions are legitimate but some see so far out there that it seems like a troll just coming onto the forum looking to stir things up. Can’t there be some sort of rule about asking questions so explicit? Should they post somewhere else a few times, introduce themselves, etc. I don’t know the answer but I get really embarrassed reading some of hte posts. And if I surf onto the website during my lunch hour at work, I get worried that someone might see those posts over my shoulder and wonder what kind of horrible forum I’m reading.
I think these are issues that Catholics have not clearly been taught and are surfing the web looking for guidance for. Thankfully, they land here where they can get true Catholic information.

By the way, I don’t think I have every seen a question that comes close to “verbal porn”. Since explicit vulgar langauge will get you banned, do you mean the correct medical terms for the actions specified? Can you link to a thread that has some of this objectionable languge so we can see what you mean?
 
There are many people who are too embarrassed to ask their own pastor or their immediate family or trusted Catholic friends this kind of question. Sometimes their questions have to do with relationship more than moral theology, and this is the place for that kind of a question.

I don’t think anyone is going to wonder what kind of forum you’re on if you refrain from opening threads that you believe will make you embarrassed, since the titles don’t tend to be explicit.

At any rate, I don’t think it is going to change. You might frequent other parts of the forums during your lunch hour. The Liturgy & Sacraments forum is short on sexual questions, for instance, and very informative.
 
Has anyone noticed how many sex questions are asked by first time posters? And some of the questions are very explicit. Sometimes it seems like verbal porn. I am sure some of the questions are legitimate but some see so far out there that it seems like a troll just coming onto the forum looking to stir things up. Can’t there be some sort of rule about asking questions so explicit? Should they post somewhere else a few times, introduce themselves, etc. I don’t know the answer but I get really embarrassed reading some of hte posts. And if I surf onto the website during my lunch hour at work, I get worried that someone might see those posts over my shoulder and wonder what kind of horrible forum I’m reading.
I agree with other posters: generally the title will tell you what not to open at work, and nothing I’ve ever seen has come close to “verbal porn”. Furthermore, with the “hover over the title and the first part of the thread comes up” option, there’s no reason to be reading threads you don’t feel comfortable with.

The reality is that human sexuality is MUCH involved in the teaching of the church (in the proper context, anyway), and that it has MUCH to offer concerned Catholics who are baffled by what the secular world tells them they should be experiencing. Being afraid to discuss Catholic teaching on proper use of human sexuality is harmful to the church’s efforts to counter the secular invasion of peoples’ bodies.
 
It is funny that threads about specific sexual acts pop up in “family life,” right next to a thread about ideas for cute kid costumes and the like (not that there is a better sub-forum). Maybe there ought to be a “Sexuality” forum, or even better, we could call it “Humane Vitae”!
 
It is funny that threads about specific sexual acts pop up in “family life,” right next to a thread about ideas for cute kid costumes and the like (not that there is a better sub-forum). Maybe there ought to be a “Sexuality” forum, or even better, we could call it “Humane Vitae”!
Given the context, I have thought they would be better in “Moral Theology” under Apologetics.
 
Has anyone noticed how many sex questions are asked by first time posters? And some of the questions are very explicit. Sometimes it seems like verbal porn. I am sure some of the questions are legitimate but some see so far out there that it seems like a troll just coming onto the forum looking to stir things up. Can’t there be some sort of rule about asking questions so explicit? Should they post somewhere else a few times, introduce themselves, etc. I don’t know the answer but I get really embarrassed reading some of hte posts. And if I surf onto the website during my lunch hour at work, I get worried that someone might see those posts over my shoulder and wonder what kind of horrible forum I’m reading.
As you have observed, I’m convinced that most of those *are *trolls. The place most of those questions should be is in Moral Theology. If anything is worded too graphically (clearly for the purpose of titilation rather than genuine curiosity), I’d suggest just reporting it. Those posts make me ill.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top