S
salvereginadude
Guest
When I embraced Catholicism one of the things I loved about it was how it allowed for the faithful to hold the theories of evolution as valid and not contradictory with Scripture because the Creation account in Genesis is not necessarily meant to be taken literally, even though it can be.
At my LCMS school we began a unit on evolution today. The pastor said that you cannot be Christian and believe in theistic evolution, and he gave proof for this which was pretty outstanding. He said that if animals evolved into the bodies of humans over a course of millions of years how could death be allowed in this equation? Death, he said is a direct result of original sin, why was there death if the sin had not occured yet? Because, obviously, the earth isn’t capable of holding unlimited amounts of animals for this great amount of time between Creation and the Fall, there are some serious flaws in this theory. He said if Christians still believe in theistic evolution in spite of this fact it erases the need for a Savior and everything that Jesus did on the Cross.
Up until today I have been a very avid supporter of theistic evolution, but the point my teacher raised did seem to make a lot of sense. Ever sense he said it I really have been trying to come up with a good argument for it. I’ve come up with a weak one but it’s an argument. It goes as follows: Sin is something that does not confine animals, our teacher even mentioned today that animals do not go to heaven. If sin does not control animals maybe death would have been natural for them? I know this is a very weak argument.
I’d like your insight on the topic because I very much would like to believe in theistic evolution! Thanks!
At my LCMS school we began a unit on evolution today. The pastor said that you cannot be Christian and believe in theistic evolution, and he gave proof for this which was pretty outstanding. He said that if animals evolved into the bodies of humans over a course of millions of years how could death be allowed in this equation? Death, he said is a direct result of original sin, why was there death if the sin had not occured yet? Because, obviously, the earth isn’t capable of holding unlimited amounts of animals for this great amount of time between Creation and the Fall, there are some serious flaws in this theory. He said if Christians still believe in theistic evolution in spite of this fact it erases the need for a Savior and everything that Jesus did on the Cross.
Up until today I have been a very avid supporter of theistic evolution, but the point my teacher raised did seem to make a lot of sense. Ever sense he said it I really have been trying to come up with a good argument for it. I’ve come up with a weak one but it’s an argument. It goes as follows: Sin is something that does not confine animals, our teacher even mentioned today that animals do not go to heaven. If sin does not control animals maybe death would have been natural for them? I know this is a very weak argument.
I’d like your insight on the topic because I very much would like to believe in theistic evolution! Thanks!