For sacred scripture, which is best?

  • Thread starter Thread starter barboza21
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I happen to like the RSV-CE by St Benedict press (LINK)

It has the following features:

Full Color Presentation and Family Record Pages​

Complete Old and New Testaments​

Words of Christ in Red​

Full color Artwork depicting the Life of Christ​

Three Year Seasonal Cycle of Readings​

Crisp, easy to read typesetting​

Gold edges​

Embossed “Holy Bible” and St. Benedict Press emblem on front cover​

Gold printing on spine​

This is just my preference though.
I have 3 bibles mainly for compairison purposes on verses. If I wonder about a verse, I
can look elsewhere. Like for instance, the word “teaching” and “tradition”. One uses one word and the other uses the other word, which to me indicates that the tradition of the church is its teaching . I like the Jeruslem Bible, and have the New American Bible, and the New International Version for references.

Its’ a matter of personal preference, but I believe pictures belong in art galleries. They are rather sugary,flowerery and unreal. Angels with wings? And they all look like they have been dressed in multi-layered blankets fighting heavy winds. It disturbes my image of them as manly men and femine women who were determined individuals. And all the comic books depicting them should be destroyed for I believe it imprints incorrect images of them on the minds of our children. I hope I haven’t stepped on anyone’s toes about this but I believe this needs to be addressed. It eventually turns them off when they reflect back latter on and think of saints as sort of colorful sissies with haloes.

Tho this is probably the worng time to say it, but I was looking at my Grandson’s catechism book and it just happened to open to the page explaining the mass. Graphics were sketched around, under, and thru the paragraphs. Very poorly done and again I thought took away all the sanctity it was explaining. I know they meant well but…

The Duay Bible also has a nice translation to my liking.
 
Having collected just about every Catholic (and many non-Catholic) bibles published, I think that for serious COMPARATIVE study, one cannot go wrong with The Catholic Comparative New Testament, as it produces 8 different NT translations in just one volume.

As far as a comprehensive bible study, I have always enjoyed The Navarre Bible. It has the RSV text, copious study notes for the entire bible, AND - a first - it reproduced the Nova Vulgata, the only bible I am aware of that reproduces the 1979/1986 Latin revision of the Bible by the Vatican with a corresponding English text. A couple of years ago, Navarre published a very large NT study bible that produces a study notes in even greater detail than the earlier version.

In sum, I would purchase a comparative bible that contains as many different translations as possible (that will provide you with a good “working” bible to show you the variations), and then find (you can get them on Ebay, and Lulu.com has begun to republish it) a copy of A Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture - the 1950’s version. With these two “works”, you will be set 🙂
 
Having collected just about every Catholic (and many non-Catholic) bibles published, I think that for serious COMPARATIVE study, one cannot go wrong with The Catholic Comparative New Testament, as it produces 8 different NT translations in just one volume.

As far as a comprehensive bible study, I have always enjoyed The Navarre Bible. It has the RSV text, copious study notes for the entire bible, AND - a first - it reproduced the Nova Vulgata, the only bible I am aware of that reproduces the 1979/1986 Latin revision of the Bible by the Vatican with a corresponding English text. A couple of years ago, Navarre published a very large NT study bible that produces a study notes in even greater detail than the earlier version.

In sum, I would purchase a comparative bible that contains as many different translations as possible (that will provide you with a good “working” bible to show you the variations), and then find (you can get them on Ebay, and Lulu.com has begun to republish it) a copy of A Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture - the 1950’s version. With these two “works”, you will be set 🙂
Thanks for your thoughts!
It sounds good, but I am sure its costly?
I am a college student… textbooks are pricey too. ")
 
I have 3 bibles mainly for compairison purposes on verses. If I wonder about a verse, I
can look elsewhere. Like for instance, the word “teaching” and “tradition”. One uses one word and the other uses the other word, which to me indicates that the tradition of the church is its teaching . I like the Jeruslem Bible, and have the New American Bible, and the New International Version for references.

Its’ a matter of personal preference, but I believe pictures belong in art galleries. They are rather sugary,flowerery and unreal. Angels with wings? And they all look like they have been dressed in multi-layered blankets fighting heavy winds. It disturbes my image of them as manly men and femine women who were determined individuals. And all the comic books depicting them should be destroyed for I believe it imprints incorrect images of them on the minds of our children. I hope I haven’t stepped on anyone’s toes about this but I believe this needs to be addressed. It eventually turns them off when they reflect back latter on and think of saints as sort of colorful sissies with haloes.

Tho this is probably the worng time to say it, but I was looking at my Grandson’s catechism book and it just happened to open to the page explaining the mass. Graphics were sketched around, under, and thru the paragraphs. Very poorly done and again I thought took away all the sanctity it was explaining. I know they meant well but…

The Duay Bible also has a nice translation to my liking.
I am also not a fan of pictures. I am more into the text.
 
I love the RSV CE (2nd edition) by Ignatius Press.( I have the Zipper one, it comes in handy to keep my prayer cards, notes and stuff in). It’s also an excellent translation and is the preferred translation to read by Fr. Mitch Pacwa S.J., Fr. John Corapi S.O.L.T., and Fr. Benedict Groeschel, C.F.R. (Not the zipper one [but maybe :)], they just talked about the translation )
 
I love the RSV CE (2nd edition) by Ignatius Press.( I have the Zipper one, it comes in handy to keep my prayer cards, notes and stuff in). It’s also an excellent translation and is the preferred translation to read by Fr. Mitch Pacwa S.J., Fr. John Corapi S.O.L.T., and Fr. Benedict Groeschel, C.F.R. (Not the zipper one [but maybe :)], they just talked about the translation )
Awesome. Thanks. I am sure I’ll love it too.
 
barboza,

My suggestion is cheaper than you think:
  1. Comparative bibles combine many individually bound bible translations into one and places the passages either side by side or page by page, thus giving you one volume housing many bibles.
  2. A Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture is SO orthodox and well-written that the Holy Father himself accepted one of the first copies published in the 1950’s.
If nothing else, I believe the above two will give you many variations on the verses and one of the best commentaries (from a Catholic perspective) ever written on every book of the bible, in addition to pretty lengthy chapters on canonicity, authorship, etc.
 
Forgive me if this forum is incorrect for answering this question.

I have been fascinated with Latin prayer. In The LOTH there are variation of prayer written in Latin. Which I cannot read.
Does anyone know of a resource that may put the Latin prayer into English so I know what I am praying and maybe some help with pronunciation so it is said correctly? The Chant’s I find beautiful but sadly, I don’t understand what is being said. It just warms my heart whenever I hear it.

Is there an idiots’s guide to latin prayer. NO, I looked. Any ideas without learning all of the Latin launguage?

Thanks,
 
Jerry,

For learning the Latin language in general, you can’t go wrong with the Rosetta Stone series.

As far as Latin language guides to use when reading Latin prayer, I recommend the following:
  1. Consecrated Phrases: A Latin Theological Dictionary - Latin Expressions Commonly Found in Theological Writings published by The Liturgical Press
amazon.com/Consecrated-Phrases-Theological-Dictionary-Expressions/dp/0814658806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298789172&sr=1-1

and
  1. Manual of Prayers published by the Mid-West Theological Forum in the US.
amazon.com/Manual-Prayers-Burgundy-James-Watkins/dp/1890177520/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1298788937&sr=8-5

This second book contains just about every prayer you have ever been taught or read, most of which have their Latin language translations next to them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top