For the Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts, this is a big week

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

Many Catholic Churches charter Boy Scout units.

For the Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts, this is a big week.

The two groups celebrate anniversaries - the Boy Scouts celebrate No. 95 and the Cub Scouts celebrate No. 75.

In those many years, millions of boys through a number of generations have participated in the Scouting program, learning about responsibility, respect, honesty, doing a good turn and learning skills to help them succeed in life.

These are the characteristics the organization is known for. Boy Scouting, and its younger sibling Cub Scouting, give young men and boys a chance to test and expand their skills. They learn about practical knowledge. They learn about themselves.

And in an age when television seems to rule the lives of many children, Scouting takes boys out into nature and helps them enjoy their surroundings, setting a foundation that continues this nation’s love for the outdoors.

Scouting has faced challenges in recent years, mainly over its stance regarding gay leaders. In the United States, the organization has found itself being banned by public bodies that don’t want to support an organization scarred by bad publicity.

But the uniform of Scouting is still one that draws attention and respect. Attaining the rank of Eagle Scout, the organization’s highest honor, is still meaningful, not just because it is the highest rank, but because it means a young man has tested himself and succeeded.

And that’s where Scouting is beneficial today - in giving young men confidence and allowing them to know they can succeed.

We say happy birthday to Scouting. Thank you for continuing to play a role in developing young men in each generation.

svherald.com/articles/2005/02/09/local_news/features_and_opinions/opinion1.txt

http://members.cox.net/frsandrat/SandRat/BSAhonor.jpg

Happy Birthday…!!! I loved the boy scouts, I was like two merit badges away from my first class rank…I cherish the memories!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back