D
djeter
Guest
In The Priority of Christ Fr. Robert Barron gives us vignettes of various Saints and the theological virtues, showing us how the infusion of divine grace while exercising these virtues leads to a supernaturally elevated life.
To be perfectly honest, I never liked Thèrése Of Lisieux and always found her life somewhere between gruesome and cloyingly sentimental.Fr. Barron takes what I saw as Thèrése’s sappy tale and transforms it into something powerful, a story that illustrates divine grace in action.
Here is one of the reading selections that really impressed me:
Suffering
Then comes the typically Christian consequence, the embrace of the cross: “The day after my Communion…I felt born within my heart a great desire to suffer and at the same time the interior assurance that Jesus reserved a great number of crosses for me… Suffering became my attraction.”
This has nothing to do with masochism and everything to do with coinherence. When we are connected to the divine life made available in Jesus, we become enamored of the cross, the instrument by which he effected a coinherence with the sinful human race, bearing and carrying away its sinfulness.
We want to suffer, not because suffering is desirable in itself but because it is what he chose to endure out of love. Now we can understand that when Thèrése spoke earlier of the encounter with God in love that involved no “sacrifice,” she did not mean that friendship with God is painless, cheap grace. Rather, it is a love—free of the complications and distortions of economic exchange—that makes one want to suffer on behalf of the other that makes suffering, in this sense, attractive.
Thèrése concludes her reflection on First Communion thus: “Up until this time, I had suffered without loving suffering, but since this day I felt a real love for it.” As a child, she had “offered things up” to God and had endured trials and accepted mortifications, but these were all part of a game of the ego, a calculated attempt to win the approval of her family and of God. They were the strategies of the prodigal son’s elder brother. But the “fusion” that took place at her First Communion burned those childish attitudes away."
For those whose suffering seems endless…I wonder if the story of this Saint will help you in some way.
Reading selections here:
payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/11/06/therese-of-lisieux-an-example-of-elevated-prudence/
My prayers to you
dj
To be perfectly honest, I never liked Thèrése Of Lisieux and always found her life somewhere between gruesome and cloyingly sentimental.Fr. Barron takes what I saw as Thèrése’s sappy tale and transforms it into something powerful, a story that illustrates divine grace in action.
Here is one of the reading selections that really impressed me:
Suffering
Then comes the typically Christian consequence, the embrace of the cross: “The day after my Communion…I felt born within my heart a great desire to suffer and at the same time the interior assurance that Jesus reserved a great number of crosses for me… Suffering became my attraction.”
This has nothing to do with masochism and everything to do with coinherence. When we are connected to the divine life made available in Jesus, we become enamored of the cross, the instrument by which he effected a coinherence with the sinful human race, bearing and carrying away its sinfulness.
We want to suffer, not because suffering is desirable in itself but because it is what he chose to endure out of love. Now we can understand that when Thèrése spoke earlier of the encounter with God in love that involved no “sacrifice,” she did not mean that friendship with God is painless, cheap grace. Rather, it is a love—free of the complications and distortions of economic exchange—that makes one want to suffer on behalf of the other that makes suffering, in this sense, attractive.
Thèrése concludes her reflection on First Communion thus: “Up until this time, I had suffered without loving suffering, but since this day I felt a real love for it.” As a child, she had “offered things up” to God and had endured trials and accepted mortifications, but these were all part of a game of the ego, a calculated attempt to win the approval of her family and of God. They were the strategies of the prodigal son’s elder brother. But the “fusion” that took place at her First Communion burned those childish attitudes away."
For those whose suffering seems endless…I wonder if the story of this Saint will help you in some way.
Reading selections here:
payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/11/06/therese-of-lisieux-an-example-of-elevated-prudence/
My prayers to you
dj