For you ushers out there

• Thread starter Thread starter Crusader
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crusader

For my fellow ushers out there who “do the collection” on Sundays, please make note of #70 in Redemptionis Sacramentum:

“The offerings that Christ’s faithful are accustomed to present for the Liturgy of the Eucharist in Holy Mass are not necessarily limited to bread and wine for the eucharistic celebration, but may also include gifts given by the faithful in the form of money or other things for the sake of charity toward the poor. Moreover, external gifts must always be a visible expression of that true gift that God expects from us: a contrite heart, the love of God and neighbour by which we are conformed to the sacrifice of Christ, who offered himself for us. For in the Eucharist, there shines forth most brilliantly that mystery of charity that Jesus brought forth at the Last Supper by washing the feet of the disciples. In order to preserve the dignity of the Sacred Liturgy, in any event, the external offerings should be brought forward in an appropriate manner. Money, therefore, just as other contributions for the poor, should be placed in an appropriate place which should be away from the eucharistic table. Except for money and occasionally a minimal symbolic portion of other gifts, it is preferable that such offerings be made outside the celebration of Mass.”

We shove the full collection box under the altar at each Mass. For the last two weeks I have been putting it off to the side up on the sanctuary. I’m waiting to see if anyone figures things out and/or for the “liturgy committee” to throw a tantrum.

It would be nice if the ushers dressed in something nicer than jeans and a t-shirt. I know God welcomes us no matter how we look, but what would you wear to a wedding if all you have is jeans and a t-shirt come on down. However if it is to much work for you to put on nice clothes to go and meet your GOD, you may want to rethink things.

I know it is a service to be an usher but it would surprise me if you did not at least have a nice pair of slacks and a nice shirt. Please you set an example for our kids on how to dress, think of thouse that are learning by our example.

40.png
srkbdk:
It would be nice if the ushers dressed in something nicer than jeans and a t-shirt. I know God welcomes us no matter how we look, but what would you wear to a wedding if all you have is jeans and a t-shirt come on down. However if it is to much work for you to put on nice clothes to go and meet your GOD, you may want to rethink things.

I know it is a service to be an usher but it would surprise me if you did not at least have a nice pair of slacks and a nice shirt. Please you set an example for our kids on how to dress, think of thouse that are learning by our example.
In the olden days in some of the more affluent parishes, it was common for ushers to wear morning dress (tailcoat, ascot, vest, and special trousers) – at least on holy days of obligation. I think that’s sorta neat. I think it would be nice to see that each and every week, although the ushers would have to wear tuxes at the Saturday vigil Mass and the Sunday evening Mass.

Speaking of the collection basket …

Is there any norm/standard about bringing up the gifts in terms of the collection basket?

We have a regular guest priest who never takes the collection basket. He accepts the other gifts - the bread/wine - but simply turns back to the alter seemingly ignoring the collection.

Normally it’s the ushers who bring up the basket and they place it next to/in front of the alter, but occasionally it’s a family. On one occasion it seemed that the person didn’t know what to do with the basket when the priest returned to the alter.

Is this because it is for the parish and he doesn’t belong to the parish? I should ask, but there are other more important issues I should talk with him about.

Thoughts …

40.png
Crusader:
In the olden days in some of the more affluent parishes, it was common for ushers to wear morning dress (tailcoat, ascot, vest, and special trousers) – at least on holy days of obligation. I think that’s sorta neat. I think it would be nice to see that each and every week, although the ushers would have to wear tuxes at the Saturday vigil Mass and the Sunday evening Mass.
I remember that and thanks I will be talking with our Priest about that.

40.png
Crusader:
I’m waiting to see if anyone figures things out and/or for the “liturgy committee” to throw a tantrum.
Its always better to talk first (in a non-confrontational manner).

40.png
CatholicGeek:
Speaking of the collection basket …

Is there any norm/standard about bringing up the gifts in terms of the collection basket?

We have a regular guest priest who never takes the collection basket. He accepts the other gifts - the bread/wine - but simply turns back to the alter seemingly ignoring the collection.

Normally it’s the ushers who bring up the basket and they place it next to/in front of the alter, but occasionally it’s a family. On one occasion it seemed that the person didn’t know what to do with the basket when the priest returned to the alter.

Is this because it is for the parish and he doesn’t belong to the parish? I should ask, but there are other more important issues I should talk with him about.

Thoughts …
The $$$ are not to be placed near the Altar of Sacrifice.

For our church, there are two Sunday Masses. The earlier Mass has ushers who wear a shirt and tie and matching suitcoats. It is very nice. I’ve also been to the later Mass, where just casual clothes are worn by the ushers. Quite a difference.

I like the more formal wear for the ushers.

Now, if only I could get out of work early enough to get home and change, instead of wearing work clothes to Mass.

Also check out GIRM49
Referring to bringing the gifts up
“this is also the time to receive money or other gifts for the Church or the poor brought by the faithful or collected at Mass. These are to be put in a suitable place but not on the alter”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back