S
Sabda
Guest
A lot of them don’t factor in the insurance, taxes that go with the mortgage payment either. That is very important because the taxes and insurance can pretty much double you payment.When we were looking to buy our first home, my wife and I figured what the monthly mortgage payment would be on each home we looked at. We thought, OK, how does that compare with what we are now paying for rent? Can we comfortably afford that payment?
I thought everyone did that. Much later, I was having a discussion with a mortgage broker, and I said to him, “when people come to see you, don’t they really already know how much of a monthly payment they can afford?” “Jim,” he replied, “people think that they can afford whatever I tell them they can afford!”
The rule of thumb we always goes by is if the house is $100,000, than the total mortgage payment will be in the neighborhood of $1000 a month.