Forgiveness

• Thread starter Thread starter DrifterBoy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DrifterBoy

I am very new to Catholicism (but I bet I’ve been on my way here for longer than I know) and I was wondering about repentance and forgiveness of sin. Growing up in a protestant church, I was always taught that when you ask God personally for your forgiveness, it happens that way. Now that I have come to accept confession, will forgiveness only happen if I go through a priest? Or may I still ask God personally? :confused:

God forgives your sins as soon as you confess them, you go to confession to have the priest remits the guilt and penalty due to sin.
He also can counsel you and give you ideas on how not to sin. In addition you recieve great graces from confession.

Here is an article on confession:
cin.org/mateo/9601111.html

And receiving grace through the Sacrament has the added benefit of making you feel better. I always know when it’s time to go to Reconciliation because I start to slow down in my spirit, if that’s makes sense. There is nothing like feeling the grace of forgivness through the Sacrament of reconciliation for lighting your fire back up! My prayer life may get lazy, or I start to skip my daily scripture readings…that’s when I know it’s time to go. I’m embarrassed to say it’s about every two weeks :o

Love,
Annie

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I’ve seen a lot of typical Catholic-baiting questions from “DrifterBoy”. I’ve participated in forums long enough to notice the syntax and pattern of these questions. I’ll leave it at that.

If you are seeking enlightenment about the Catholic faith, then you’ve come to the right place. Lord knows there are plenty of people here who can help you.

May the peace of the Lord be with you.

The Barrister said:
Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I’ve seen a lot of typical Catholic-baiting questions from “DrifterBoy”. I’ve participated in forums long enough to notice the syntax and pattern of these questions. I’ll leave it at that.

If you are seeking enlightenment about the Catholic faith, then you’ve come to the right place. Lord knows there are plenty of people here who can help you.

May the peace of the Lord be with you.

If this is a ‘baited’ question, then most certainly he would need confession to repent from the sin of malice.
Confession is a condition the our Lord instituted to help us know when we have gone wrong and come back to Him.

Go with God!
Edwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back