Forgiving those who have hurt others

  • Thread starter Thread starter JoeShlabotnik
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeShlabotnik

Guest
I am always amazed when I hear people, who have lost family or friends to a mass shooting or some other terroristic act, forgive those who have taken the lives of their family or friends.
Needless to say, we all pray that that will not happen to any of our family or friends, but I am not sure if I am Christian enough to be able to forgive the perpetrator of such a heinous act.
Does that say that I am too human or not enough of a Christian?
Forgiveness can be so very, very tough.
I pray for those victims and for their families.
 
I think you would be surprised about your ability to forgive when the Holy Spirit directs your steps. When I was a kid, my closest cousin was murdered by a friend of ours. I remember praying one night shortly after it happened, angry and bitter, when I was told I had to forgive the person who killed my cousin. After praying for the ability to forgive, I did.
 
I am sorry for your loss. I am sure that it must have been tough to give up the anger. But you are at peace and your cousin is, as well. Thanks be to God! 🙏🙏🙏
 
Forgiveness is tough, but one doesn’t have to theorize about a possible scenario to test the limits of our humanity. Likely there is someone in our lives right now that we have been refusing to forgive, yet may not recognize it.
 
Forgiveness – A Catholic Approach
written by R. Scott Hurd.
It is recommended reading for those who struggle with forgiveness.
 
I think the biggest thing is just to trust that God is in control, and that he is a just and loving God. If you don’t trust him, its hard to let go and allow him to be the one who is the judge.
 
I learned to forgive when I realized what it really means. It means asking God to not hold anything against that person on my account although I was entitled to perfect justice for their misdeeds toward me and those I love.

So I ask for no punishment for that person on my account. Doesn’t change my feelings or make the hurt go away but I know that that is the greatest part of forgiveness, releasing them from what they owe me.
 
Forgiveness will always be one of those things we will struggle with, even when it is personal. I personally don’t think you’re not “enough of a Christian” if you find yourself struggling with this topic. We all struggle with something, just the downside of being a human. But, defiantly pray for Christ to help you with forgiveness if that is the case. He’ll always help you out with anything if your willing. Hope everyone has a great day! <3
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top