FOX News Blunder

• Thread starter Thread starter ridesawhitehors
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ridesawhitehors

I was watching Fox News this morning. During Shephard Smith’s coverage of the Pope’s condition… some DING DONG producer was heard breaking in “The Pope is dead! THe Pope is Dead!” VERRRY irreverantly. :mad:

Obviously they didn’t intend to air this false news in such a REALLY CRASS fashion. There was a hint that it was a young part time producer jumping the gun. It was very ugly and disrespectful.

I cringed at the awkward horrible way that was allowed to be aired (erred).

40.png
ridesawhitehors:
I was watching Fox News this morning. During Shephard Smith’s coverage of the Pope’s condition… some DING DONG producer was heard breaking in “The Pope is dead! THe Pope is Dead!” VERRRY irreverantly. :mad:

Obviously they didn’t intend to air this false news in such a REALLY CRASS fashion. There was a hint that it was a young part time producer jumping the gun. It was very ugly and disrespectful.

You can listen live now:
Here is a Catholic Radio Station that is reporting from Rome
30,000 people are in Peter’s Square saying the Rosary and he is alive still.

relevantradio.com/docs/index.asp?documentid=966

This is a beautiful tribute to the Pope! They keep contact with Christine Mukrich and she is in St. Perer’s Square now saying a rosary for the Pope. She will be calling in with more reports. She just called in and said that the Pope is conscious now. Keep him in your prayers.

40.png
ridesawhitehors:

I heard it too. It was awful the way it was said and I was sad and disgusted.

Many news channels have “jumped the gun” so to speak. It makes a person very sad how someones death is seen to as an event where we eagerly await the countdown to zero.

40.png
ridesawhitehors:

CNN reported it first, then EWTN, then MSNBC and FoxNews last.

I am no fan of Shephard Smith. But this goof-up was not his fault.

However, FoxNews was the last to retract the error.

EWTN also sent out an e-mail saying the Holy Father was dead. I was a bit disapointed that they didn’t reply with the correction, but atleast the TV station made things clear.

40.png
Hildebrand:
CNN reported it first, then EWTN, then MSNBC and FoxNews last.

I am no fan of Shephard Smith. But this goof-up was not his fault.

However, FoxNews was the last to retract the error.
No one was being disrespectful and it doesn’t matter who was first nor last to claim or retract. You have to understand how the media operates. The news by all media was taken off one Italian news wire service - each network has its own reporters and informants. they have to verify with that person before a retraction is made. With all the phone, fax and video lines clogged beyond belief everyone is scrambling to get the latest story and trying hard to verify. It ain’t easy. Rumors fly, informants are wrong, things are going on…

The Vatican is now due to make another statement momentarily.

Looking at this from the bigger picture, I am most encouraged that the secular world is also focused on our Holy Father.

Imagine, people all over the world have watched the praying of the Rosary on Fox, CNN… All over, we hear the Hail Mary. A media, who is typically more anti Catholic or at the very least lukewarm, is focused on the leader of our great church and for the most part reporting respectfully, honestly and relatively accurately.

Let’s focus on the good and positive in all of this.

Just my thoughts.

Well, EWTN did e-mail folks just a few minutes ago with an explanation…so, that’s good on their part.

40.png
ridesawhitehors:

I was watching when it happened…it wasn’t his fault and he apologized very nicely…I thought.:twocents:

I actually thought most of the sites I perused while doing work phrased it quite correctly on their sites (local paper, local news, yahoo.com).

“Italian News Agency claims…yet to be confirmed by Vatican”

So they fulfilled their attempt to get the news first and fast, but qualified it with their source as status.

40.png
Skyron:
I actually thought most of the sites I perused while doing work phrased it quite correctly on their sites (local paper, local news, yahoo.com).

“Italian News Agency claims…yet to be confirmed by Vatican”

So they fulfilled their attempt to get the news first and fast, but qualified it with their source as status.
I believe it was only Fox (and maybe EWTN from what I’ve read here) that goofed.

40.png
Annunciata:
I was watching when it happened…it wasn’t his fault and he apologized very nicely…I thought.:twocents:
Yeah, Shep wasn’t the one who blurted that out, it was someone in the producers room - who wasn’t suppose to be ‘on the air’.
The forthcoming false report was absolutly forgivable – It just was so disgusting to hear someone amplify such a blunt, crass, remark.
Someone will either get fired or really chewed out. They’ll be in the unemployment line with the American Idol bad phone numbers guy. 😉

I saw this as well. Much as I was disgusted by Shep Smith during the Terri Schiavo crisis, he was obviously very contrite, correct himself and apologized profusely for the blunder.

Lisa N

From my understanding, My sister said that NPR noted if you want to really know that the pope has died is to listen to Vatican Radio in which they will switch to funeral music when he dies… before any news outlet has a chance to say anything…

…Typical misinformation from “Faux News”…

Peace…

40.png
Annunciata:
I agree with you. I was also watching and Shepherd Smith apologized immediately and very sincerely. Unfortunately, a combination of human and technical errors happened at the same time.

40.png
CanonAlberic:
…Typical misinformation from “Faux News”…

Peace…
I heard the error first from CNN.
Is “Compromised News Network” you choice? Do tell.

40.png
ridesawhitehors:

Yes and the BBC aren’t a whole lot better, when one called him the old man in the Vatican, pointing up to the bedroom wer’e our Holy Father passed away.

They had an on screen graphic showing where Pius XIII was burried. I was like ummm…there is no Pius XIII unless you count the cult in Montana, but he’s not dead nor anywhere near the Vatican.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back