Fr Barron is talking about
people in hell, not
fallen angels in hell. Even if there
were no people in hell, it would still be populated by Satan and his fallen angels, wouldn’t it be? Therefore, there would be a “need for hell to exist”…
Ok, I can see this. However, the existence of the angels in hell weakens Fr. Barron’s argument, in my opinion. Are we to believe that God loves them less than us? That His will for them was different than His will for us?
That’s not how he put it. He said, “I think that, you can’t hold those two [propositions – God’s infinite love and human free will] without holding the possibility of hell.” In other words, if someone is claiming that hell is impossible due to the idea of God’s infinite love, then this claim is unreasonable: you have to –
at the very least – also hold that hell is a possible destination. Note that Fr Barron isn’t saying “
the existence of hell is a possibility;” rather, he’s simply saying that, if you’re trying to work through the question logically, you can’t eliminate even the possibility of hell as a terminal destination.
Ok, I didn’t quote him exactly. I said, “He said that if we believe that God is love and we have free will, then we must admit to the possibility of hell.” I still think it would have been better to say “I think that, you can’t hold those two [propositions – God’s infinite love and human free will] without holding the existence of hell.” But let us not quibble over this, I understand your point.
Yes, but not in the way you’re thinking about it: he meant that a universalist – one who claims that hell does not exist – cannot logically make that claim; at the least, he would have to concede that hell
might be the destination of an arbitrary person. His argument continues: “the minute you say ‘freedom’, then you have admit to the possibility of the abuse of freedom”. And there’s where the notion of ‘possibility’ comes in: it’s not that hell possibly
exists, it’s that it’s possibly
occupied by humans.
Ok
Remember, he’s only dealing with the argument from the perspective of God as love and humans as free-willed. From this perspective, you only get the possibility of hell as a consequence of free will decisions. (The question of the
existence of hell, then, is a separate issue.)
Ok
The question, of course, is whether Jesus meant these statements as a
prediction of a definite event or as a
warning of what could happen…

Respectfully, I don’t think there is a question, but I guess that is subject to interpretation. I think these Scriptures reveal a warning* and* a prediction. If Fr. Barron is correct in his assessment, it sure seems like the Church has wasted a lot of time in talking about mortal sin, the need for confession, the necessity of baptism, the importance of evangelization, etc. It just doesn’t add up, in my opinion.