Fr Miscamble defending atomic bomb

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicAggie19
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep him on your side of the room. I never did like that guy, and my mother couldn’t stand Mamie.
My in-laws (Repubs) liked Ike. They both had college degrees and would have been considered educated conservatives in their day. My parents were blue collar who clawed up to white collar with no degrees.
 
Would that have been John Gay, of the Hornet’s Torpedo Squadron (VT-8)?
 
WWI was the object lesson in negotiated surrender. As Pershing said, a year or two after the war, the failure to force an unconditional surrender meant that we’d have to do it all over again, in 25 years. He lived to see it happen.
Didn’t Marshal Foch also say that the Nov. 11, 1918 armistice was only a 20 year cease fire or something to that effect? Off by less than a year.
 
the bombs were the best option, and they did work.
Yes. The atomic bombs killed a lot of innocent children and other civilians. I suppose you could always end a war quickly by murdering as many innocent children as needed.
 
Yes. Off by 65 days. Treaty was signed 28 June 1919.
 
Last edited:
My thanks. I’ve spoken with the originator of that post many times. My tone is usually suitable to the occasion. Mostly.
Even if someone disagrees with you vehemently, they should recognize that you are easily the most well read person in this discussion regarding the facts of this topic. I know some (and I have read ALOT about WWII and have a degree in History), but I wouldn’t dare challenge you on the actual history of this topic unless I had serious sources with me to cite because you know this inside and out. I say that out of respect. Your grasp of the details is very thorough, and if you are posting from memory alone…my hat is off to you.
 
I was thinking the armistice of November 11, not the actual Versailles Treaty of 1919. Either way, Foch was pretty close to the mark.
 
You mean George “Tex” Gay, the guy who floated around in the water for 20 hours before being rescued. Yeah he’s the one I was thinking of. Mom had the back issue of Life Magazine with him on the front.
I understand there was also one crew of 2 who survived but we don’t hear much about them.
My uncle who I obviously never knew except by a photo on Grandma’s TV and a couple of slightly sinister paintings of birch trees he did (I thought the trees had scary faces as a little kid), was the gunner named Max Arthur.
 
Mostly by memory. I’ll check a point every now and then. That’s what all the books are for. And sometimes I get something wrong, memory being what it is.

98 pages into GHOST MOUNTAIN BOYS. The first Jap push, almost to Port Moresby, has just begun its retreat.
 
I agree. GK Motley, you deserve a cookie for your thorough knowledge of this subject 🍪

My dad did not like to talk about the war much. (He served in Korea later, saw a bunch more people get killed and didn’t like talking about that either.) But my husband was a big military buff and probably could have kept up with you, even though he was 4F and never actually served and his own father was a few years younger than my parents and missed all the action, spending his military time in occupied Europe as a paymaster.
 
Last edited:
See. There’s that memory thing I just mentioned, right there. And I have his book, too.

Yes. One other crew, Ensign Albert Earnest and radioman/gunner, Airman Third Class Harry Ferrier, one of 6 VT-8 planes to attack, not from the Hornet, but from Midway itself, survvived. I have no idea how that happened.
 
The reluctance of those who have actually seen the elephant to talk about it later is almost ubiquitous. I’ve mentioned my uncle, a B-17 gunner/Eighth Air Force. He only told me one joke, about one flight, involving a German fighter plane. And that was 60 years after the fact. But he talked, long into many nights, just after he returned, with my mother.
 
I was unfortunately too young to want to hear the horrors of war when my father did occasionally mention them. I was something like 15 and he would be sitting there out of the blue pop off with something like, “I think I’ve been living on borrowed time since Korea when the kamikaze hit the ship next to me”. Unfortunately a 15-year-old girl growing up in the 1970s is not quite ready to hear that. My mother wasn’t good at hearing it either. She got Dad to join the VFW so he would have other guys who’d been through the same to talk to and hang around with.

When my dad was dying he cried remembering how he’d been only 17 or 18 years old and in his job as a medic with no medical training at all (apparently they just grabbed the guys out of his induction class who had finished high school and said, “You’re Medical Corps”) trying to save one guy with some appendix or stomach wound and another guy who had been cut up somehow and Dad had to assist with emergency surgery. I wish I could say I had turned into a great understanding listener by the time I had reached the advanced age of 26 when Dad was sharing all this days before he checked out, but unfortunately I still found it pretty awful to listen to and just wanted to disappear. I could handle hearing it now but it’s 30 years too late.
 
Last edited:
I have an original lapel pin, of that. I think it came from Ike’s visit here, sometime in the 1952 campaign.
 
You don’t win a war by killing children.

But neither can you do it by being chivalrous. That died in 1871, if not before.

Sadly, children and women are in the combat line, full stop, in any modern war. And country leaderships know that when they start them.

ICXC NIKA
 
If there would be a land invasion, even more innocent children would be killed.

Now if the allied forces would do nothing for fear of killing innocent Japanese children, the Japanese would go on happily killing and torturing innocent children all over East Asia.

Either way, blood is spilled.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top