Fr Richard Rohr on Oprah's Super Soul Sunday

  • Thread starter Thread starter JimR-OCDS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimR-OCDS

Guest
My wife and myself just watched Fr Richard Rohr on Oprah’s “Super Soul Sunday,”.

Excellent! 👍

If you get a chance to see him, don’t miss it.

Jim
 
My wife and myself just watched Fr Richard Rohr on Oprah’s “Super Soul Sunday,”.

Excellent! 👍

If you get a chance to see him, don’t miss it.

Jim
What impressed you the most about his appearance on the show?
We don’t have tv right now so I won’t get a chance to see it.
 
Richard Rohr does not follow Magisterial teachings. You get a sense of his un-orthodoxy (is that a word?) by the fact that he does not wear a collar and goes by Richard Rohr rather than Fr. Richard Rohr. I would not recommend him to any Catholic.

I did not see the program the OP referred to, but in googling for information about what he said on the program, I found this quote, which so perfectly sums up what Richard Rohr is about:

“My concern is to seek to explain universal truth and not just Catholic truth. If it’s true, it’s going to be true everywhere, not just for Catholics.”
ncronline.org/news/people/franciscan-priest-appear-oprah-winfreys-super-soul-sunday
 
Richard Rohr does not follow Magisterial teachings. You get a sense of his un-orthodoxy (is that a word?) by the fact that he does not wear a collar and goes by Richard Rohr rather than Fr. Richard Rohr. I would not recommend him to any Catholic.
That would probably explain why Oprah invited him to her show.
Thanks for the tip!
 
You are welcome, 7 Sorrows.

I added to my post at the same time you were posting, so be sure to read the Richar Rohr quote I posted.

The man irks me to no end. To think that he discerns a “universal truth” and a “Catholic truth.” As a “priest,” he should know that Catholic truth IS the universal truth. If he belives otherwise, why doesn’t he leave the Catholic Church? Why does he stay with a faith that he undermines? Because he can get more followers as a (misnomer) Franciscan priest in a world-wide religion than he could as a lone-ranger in his New Age views.
 
You are welcome, 7 Sorrows.

I added to my post at the same time you were posting, so be sure to read the Richar Rohr quote I posted.

The man irks me to no end. To think that he discerns a “universal truth” and a “Catholic truth.” As a “priest,” he should know that Catholic truth IS the universal truth. If he belives otherwise, why doesn’t he leave the Catholic Church? Why does he stay with a faith that he undermines? Because he can get more followers as a (misnomer) Franciscan priest in a world-wide religion than he could as a lone-ranger in his New Age views.
After reading the quote he is the right kind of guest for Oprah. I wonder what his Bishop thinks.
 
Richard Rohr does not follow Magisterial teachings. You get a sense of his un-orthodoxy (is that a word?) by the fact that he does not wear a collar and goes by Richard Rohr rather than Fr. Richard Rohr. I would not recommend him to any Catholic.
If you’re going to criticize someone, at least criticize him for the right things. He’s a Franciscan. I don’t know any Franciscans who go around in clerical collars. He wears what is acceptable to his religious superiors. And some Franciscans put much more emphasis on being a friar than on which friars are ordained and which are not.

Now how about talking about his ideas.
 
We need to be very careful here at CAF about criticizing those who are not here to defend themselves. I think that is official policy for Catholic Answers.
 
Sure thing. Here’s his website, do your own research, draw your own conclusions.
cac.org/

I for one do not recommend him and if you do some looking around at orthodox Catholic sites you will find that they do not either.

But to each his own.
 
He looks familiar like I have seen him before. I guess that if he is a franciscan he may not wear a collar. Hopefully the OP will return and give some of the highlights of what he said.
 
What is being followed is a “path that is inclusive, in which everything and everyone belong , that is respectful of all creation and all traditions and each person’s journey of faith, much like St. Francis,” Mark Lombard of Franciscan Media said in an email to CNS. (link in post 3)

Being respectful is very important; however, all traditions are not necessarily the same as the teachings of the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church is not a big tent with competing traditions being viewed as equal truths.
 
Pax Christi!

He’s most popular with non-Catholics and ex-Catholics, who often don’t like clerical collars or other religious garb.

I almost never hear him announced as Father or priest, but as author or speaker.

Not my cup of tea.

God bless.
 
Richard Rohr’s work has helped many Catholics, including me.

I double-dog dare any of you to actually watch this interview and tell me how Rohr OR Oprah makes a mockery of Church teachings.

The last few popes have all heard about him and chose to let his abbot allow him to continue. Good thing for him, that Popes don’t take their orders from these discussion threads, eh? :rolleyes:

Maybe part of the problem is his use of the term “contemplation” in the video. In case you haven’t checked, the CCC says our prayer life “should” include contemplative prayer. How many of you criticizing Rohr even know what that is, in any way other than some scholarly argument. That is, how many have actually tried contemplative prayer? How many Catholics do you know who have even heard of it, even though the CCC says it “should” be practiced?

You might want to expand your Catholic experience a little and include this form of prayer which is certainly what Jesus meant by “go into your inner room” especially given that their homes only had one room in them.

Do yourselves a favor and learn about this form of silent prayer. Here is a book currently being used at some seminaries for introductory prayer classes, that is very readable and realistic and goes into various scenarios about when you are having “difficulty” praying. It has imprimatur and all. It was written by a Jesuit so if you dislike Jesuits than don’t buy it.

Armchair Mystic: Easing Into Contemplative PrayerApr 1, 2001
by Mark E. Thibodeaux S.J.


Thank you Jim for posting this. I had missed it. 👍
 
I never heard of Fr Rohr until I was given a link by a poster here on CAF, and I’m glad they sent me that link!

🙂
 
Thanks for the suggestion, Jim.

I find Richard Rohr’s writings on ‘gift’ and ‘paradox’ as core to a mature contemplative understanding to be helpful. I wasn’t that keen on his earlier writings on the Enneagram but his work is steeped in Franciscan approaches of kenosis (self-emptying) and metanoia. Several friends of mine in the Secular Franciscan Order (SFO) have recommended his work.
 
I’m sorry, but it looks like Fr Richard Rohr is involved in the New Age, teaching the Enneagram, and the like. No, the Enneagram is not O.K. Read about it in Fr. Mitch Pacwa, S.J.'s book. Catholics and the New Age
I’m very disappointed, as we used to listen to Fr Rohr’s tapes back in the 70’s, when he
was a faithful Franciscan priest.
 
Sure thing. Here’s his website, do your own research, draw your own conclusions.
cac.org/

I for one do not recommend him and if you do some looking around at orthodox Catholic sites you will find that they do not either.

But to each his own.
I love it! His site says that his teachings are based on alternative orthodoxy!!🤷
 
WOW, lot’s of negative comments. My guess is they didn’t listen or hear what Fr Rohr said.

Nothing Fr Rohr said in Oprah’s interview contradicted Catholic teaching and there’s nothing “New Age,” about him. In fact, he’s more in line with Pope Francis, whom he quotes in the program, than anything else.

Also, Oprah referred to him as “Father Rohr” several times in the program.

Most priests who become friends, will ask you to call them by their first name.

It doesn’t make them bad priest.

Also, priests of religious orders like Franciscan, do not wear a clerical Roman collar, but a
monks habit. However they often do not wear the habit when traveling or in various situations. Most do wear the traditional Franciscan sandals and cross as Fr Rohr does.

Ironically, I’m reading the book, “Abandonment to Divine Providence,” by Jean-Pierre de Caussade.

Fr Jean-Pierre de Caussade SJ, was born in 1675 and died in 1751.

His book is as if written today by leading Catholic contemplatives.

I found Fr Rohr much in line with Jean-Pierre de Caussade’s book as I listened to him.

If he’s drawing non-Catholics and ex-Catholics, Praise God!

Bring them to Jesus Christ, that’s the mission of the Church.

Jim
 
So, Jim-R OCDS, you have not read some of the previous forums on Fr Rohr, listing his
presiding over homosexual weddings and other practices contrary to the Catholic Church?
How do you come down on that, whether he wears a collar and calls himself Father or not?
.
 
So, Jim-R OCDS, you have not read some of the previous forums on Fr Rohr, listing his
presiding over homosexual weddings and other practices contrary to the Catholic Church?
How do you come down on that, whether he wears a collar and calls himself Father or not?
.
No I have not.

The Oprah interview is the first time I heard Fr Rohr speak.

I liked what he said.

Jim
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top