Free Will and God's Plan

  • Thread starter Thread starter nfinke
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nfinke

Guest
I have heard many priests talk about us having free will, and also talking about “God’s plan for us”.

If we are free to make choices, and God doesn’t compromise that freedom, how can He have anything resembling a “plan” for us anymore than I can have a plan for an ant in my ant farm?

The clearest problem comes with what people I find most often talk about in relation to God’s plan: finding their spouse. It seems to me that two people meeting and then falling in love is entirely the result of hundreds or thousands of free choices on both of their parts. How can God actually plan for the two of them to end up together without compromising their will?
 
He has a plan of (i assume) certain ‘achievements’ He wants you to accomplish - by His grace and help- during the course of your earthly life. What those ‘achievements’ are, and how you’re supposed to know and complete them, i can’t say.
I’ve no clear idea of what God wants of me, besides the general guidelines outlined in scripture/catechism.
But i am free to follow Him or not.
 
Well I would assume an achievement God wants us all to accomplish is to attain salvation. But I don’t see how that means anything since He is omnipotent.

The way I see it with God existing outside of time, Him having a plan for me is like me reading To Kill a Mockingbird, then saying, “my plan for Tomorrow Robinson is for him to be pronounced guilty”. Not only do I have no control over the choices of the characters (of course this lack of control is a choice on God’s part), but I also know the entirety of the story, so it doesn’t make sense for me to “plan” for something that I know for certain is going to happen (and already has happened from both my point of view having finished the book, and God’s position outside of time).

Maybe I’m not theologically sound on that.
 
“God’s plan for us”.
I believe that God’s greatest plan is centred on the two greatest commandments. God loves us, and he has given us the free will to love him back. God loves all our neighbours, so he has given us the freedom to love all our neighbours as we love ourselves.
 
We all think we know ourselves ? Rightly or wrongly.

But we don’t really because in certain situation do we flight or fight. Die trying to save a complete stranger. Having a precious secret that only one knows bursting to tell others… unless we are in that moment we will not know the outcome.

But God already knows us much better than we actually know ourselves. Take Peter denying Jesus 3 times.

In every situation in life we can control God is right there make no mistake.

Example : a ridiculous wealthy man drops a small note whilst flaunting the rest of his wealth. You are skint , what do you do…

You are in a room with friends and there are drugs , alcohol and only friends you can trust. Suddenly a famous person you fancy comes in and makes it obvious they fancy you… There is no way your partner will find out… What would you do…

The point is God always gives a person a choice to get out of any situation within their our own control. Free will.

He already knows our decision but Gods plan is vastly different from our own. That’s why he gives us all so many chances and situations/tests in this life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top