Free Will

  • Thread starter Thread starter Isaiah45_9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Isaiah45_9

Guest
Can someone please point me in the right direction on the RCC position on free will and RCC studies about it?

Thanks,

God Bless You.
 
Can you expand on your question a little more? I want to be able to research it properly.
 
I may have found some leads:
  1. CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
    SECOND EDITION
    PART THREE
    LIFE IN CHRIST
SECTION ONE
MAN’S VOCATION LIFE IN THE SPIRIT

CHAPTER ONE
THE DIGNITY OF THE HUMAN PERSON

ARTICLE 3
MAN’S FREEDOM

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a3.htm
newadvent.org/cathen/06259a.htm
ourcatholicfaith.org/whycatholic/freewill.html

What I am really after is what is understood by “Will”, theologically and philosophically. Free Will is so commonly used by all denominations and some have some very opposite views (RCC / Reform).

What are the basic premises in establishing a common ground for the foundation of the “Will” in the human person.

I am familiar with Locke, Hume, etc. But no so much with theological writings and I am very interested with the RCC position in these matters.

Thanks.
 
Paragraphs 1730-1742 in the Catechism of the Catholic Church would be a good start.
 
There are two places I can recommend you looking. First would be the Catechism of the Catholic Church in Part Three: Article 3 - “Man’s Freedom”

In the Catechism every paragraph is numbered, sort of like the versus in the bible. The paragraphs I would recommend you reading are 1730-1748.

In the bible I would like to direct you to the following versus. Sirach 15:11-20

If your have any questions please feel free to ask. I am a former Protestant that was a Calvinist and then an Arminianist, so I know quite a bit about free will and the Churches teachings on it.
 
Thanks! I will, right now I am having trouble even forming the questions! lol.

But I like to be well informed and versed before I ask in respect of time and effort of others, :D.
 
Do you have a Catholic bible? I saw the you were non-denominational, so was I before I became a Catholic. When I was a Protestant I didn’t have any Catholic bibles, so I would not have been able to find the book of Sirach.

If you don’t have one I will be more than happy to post those versus for you.
 
Do you have a Catholic bible? I saw the you were non-denominational, so was I before I became a Catholic. When I was a Protestant I didn’t have any Catholic bibles, so I would not have been able to find the book of Sirach.

If you don’t have one I will be more than happy to post those versus for you.
I do (2 of them - NAB & DRB) and like 5 other translations, lol.

I was raised Roman Apostolic Catholic all the way to my 4th year of College, then waked away. Came back as a Protestant then walked away again and now I am attending an Inter-Denominational Church but have been on a wonderful walk with the Lord for the last 3 years. I had a very privileged education and enjoy reading and learning more as I have noticed that the more I learn the less I really know! 😃

Thanks for your help! God Bless You.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top