Freedom of "choice"huh?Freedom of religion,where?

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa4Catholics
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lisa4Catholics

**Gov digs in as foes attack pharmacy rule **

April 12, 2005

**BY ABDON M. PALLASCH** AND DAVE MCKINNEY Staff Reporters Advertisement
s0b.bluestreak.com/ix.e?ir&s=471707ak.bluestreak.com//adv/spirit/^5914/^362242/300x250_spring_savings.gif

Both sides are preparing for what may turn into a legal battle over Gov. Blagojevich’s order that pharmacists dispense contraceptives, even those that some pharmacists say kill embryos.

The Illinois Pharmacists Association asked Blagojevich to rescind his order. State Rep. Ron Stephens, a Downstate pharmacist, said, “I will not abide by it.” The conservative Family PAC is urging pharmacists to ignore the order. And Catholic Bishop Thomas Paprocki implored Blagojevich from the pulpit to rescind the order.

The governor is standing firm.

On Monday, he warned Family PAC Director Paul Caprio the state would impose “significant penalties” on any pharmacy that ignores the order.

“In your call to pharmacists urging them to violate the emergency rule I issued, you neglected to remind them of the penalties their employers will face if they deny a woman her right to health care,” Blagojevich wrote Caprio. Those penalties range from fines to losing their licenses, Blagojevich said.

Judge may decide

Blagojevich filed administrative charges against the Loop Osco where a pharmacist refused to dispense morning-after pills to two women. Invoking her “right of conscience,” the pharmacist told the women to come back later and ask for a different pharmacist.

The state’s Health Care Right of Conscience Act allows doctors and other “medical personnel” to avoid acting against their consciences.

The pharmacists believe the act covers them. Blagojevich and Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan believe it does not. But both say a judge may ultimately decide.

Caprio says he has lined up lawyers to defend pharmacies that defy Blagojevich’s order.

“For the minor inconvenience for a patient having to come back in an hour or to go to another pharmacy, we’re going to make a moral judgment for [the pharmacist]?” said Stephens, a Republican from Highland.

Senate Minority Leader Frank Watson (R-Greenville) said his family-run pharmacy does not stock the morning-after pill.

Two calls to hotline

“In my drugstore, we’ve had one individual come in,” Watson said. “The pharmacist and our store directed them to somebody else because we don’t stock it. We never have. There’s no demand for it, except that one time.” Since Blagojevich started a toll-free number a week ago for women who were denied contraceptives at Illinois pharmacies, two more women have called, said Blagojevich spokeswoman Abby Ottenhoff.
APPARENTLY,😦 NOT FOR PHARMICIST:nope:

This pharmacy rule is extremely disturbing to me. I blithely had gone through life assuming that my right to do or not do anything that required the cooperation of another person was subject to the other person’s equal right. I thought that was what freedom meant.

Now I discover that not only can you be forced to participate in another’s act that you may not like, but that you can be forced to do so against your deepest convictions – even when the “downside” for the other person is merely an inconvenience. Most distressing is to discover that a newspaper like the New York Times, in the past usually considered a friend of civil liberties, has cheered the Illinois executive order in an editorial expressing no understanding of the other side.

This is not an age of mutual tolerance. This is an age of persecution. The next step is forcing Catholic hospitals and doctors to peform abortions. This pharmacy development is very, very bad. Does anyone have any constructive ideas as to what to do about it?

40.png
fogo74:
This pharmacy rule is extremely disturbing to me. I blithely had gone through life assuming that my right to do or not do anything that required the cooperation of another person was subject to the other person’s equal right. I thought that was what freedom meant.

Now I discover that not only can you be forced to participate in another’s act that you may not like, but that you can be forced to do so against your deepest convictions – even when the “downside” for the other person is merely an inconvenience. Most distressing is to discover that a newspaper like the New York Times, in the past usually considered a friend of civil liberties, has cheered the Illinois executive order in an editorial expressing no understanding of the other side.

This is not an age of mutual tolerance. This is an age of persecution. The next step is forcing Catholic hospitals and doctors to peform abortions. This pharmacy development is very, very bad. Does anyone have any constructive ideas as to what to do about it?
That is exactly what Planned Parenthood wants to do:( Their “freedom” is only apllicable if you agree with them:nope:

This is awesome that the Governor is meeting so much resistance - most especially from the pulpit by the Bishop. Praise God. I wrote the Governor a letter telling him what I thought. Not only is the law discriminatory but his logic in creating the law was nonexistent, saying that the not distributing the pill discriminated against a particular group. Sorry governor, but that’s like saying he discriminates against against breakfest eaters because he doesn’t sell cereal.

40.png
Brad:
This is awesome that the Governor is meeting so much resistance - most especially from the pulpit by the Bishop. Praise God. I wrote the Governor a letter telling him what I thought. Not only is the law discriminatory but his logic in creating the law was nonexistent, saying that the not distributing the pill discriminated against a particular group. Sorry governor, but that’s like saying he discriminates against against breakfest eaters because he doesn’t sell cereal.
Brad would you post the Governers e-mail please so others can write him too?God Bless

Of all the things our governor has been accused of, being logical is not one of them. It’s also interesting that he and Lisa Madigan are standing together in this case, considering all the fighting and bickering those two have done. Our governor is looking to make a name for himself. This is a political stand for him. He doesn’t know what a consience is.

This is another issue that we are going to let a judge decide?! Not a lot to look forward to there.

40.png
Brad:
This is awesome that the Governor is meeting so much resistance - most especially from the pulpit by the Bishop. Praise God.
That bishop’s comments carry extra weight here. He is a civil lawyer who knows what he is talking about on the legal issues, as well as the moral ones. He also happenned to be Cardinal Bernardin’s Vicar General so his clout is signifigant.

This is actually a huge political blunder for Blago. The potential crowd of voters who he appeals to by this action is smaller than the potential group he offends. He isn’t liked by the the Democrats in the state legislature, but he has received some surprizing support from more moderate to conservative elments as he has taken a stand against raising taxes and is seen as a counterbalance to the power of the speaker of the state house and Mayor Daley. He would have been better off just ignoring this matter entirely. It wouldn’t have really hurt him either way. Now he helps himself only with people who would have voted for him anyway and probably loses enough votes to lose the next election. At least maybe that means that he won’t run for President in 2008, as has been expected, afterall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back