Freud, Moses, and Akhenaten

  • Thread starter Thread starter FuzzyBunny116
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FuzzyBunny116

Guest
Has anyone ever heard this theory before?

Akhenanten was an Egyptian pharoh who temporarily made Egypt monotheistic for a period of time, a time period some believe was when Moses lead the Jews out of Egypt.

Thus, is supposvely the real source of Judaism, an Egyptian rip-off. Whats more, Moses had a speech impediment, and it is alleged that this is because Hebrew was not his native tongue (although I suppose it says he has an impediment, not an accent).

What do you think?
 
Has anyone ever heard this theory before?

Akhenanten was an Egyptian pharoh who temporarily made Egypt monotheistic for a period of time, a time period some believe was when Moses lead the Jews out of Egypt.

Thus, is supposvely the real source of Judaism, an Egyptian rip-off. Whats more, Moses had a speech impediment, and it is alleged that this is because Hebrew was not his native tongue (although I suppose it says he has an impediment, not an accent).

What do you think?
Exodus 4:10 says that Moses was “slow of speach and tongue”. So God appoints Aaron to speak for him. That could be interpreted as an impediment. I don’t see what it has to do with Akenaten, though.

Didn’t someone say most religions have some particle of truth, since humans are always trying to understand God. So maybe Akenaten’s monotheism was a little glance of truths to come.
 
Exodus 4:10 says that Moses was “slow of speach and tongue”. So God appoints Aaron to speak for him. That could be interpreted as an impediment. I don’t see what it has to do with Akenaten, though.

Didn’t someone say most religions have some particle of truth, since humans are always trying to understand God. So maybe Akenaten’s monotheism was a little glance of truths to come.
It is suggested that his speech impediment is there (perhaps like an accent) because Egyptian, or whatever the name of it was, was his first language.

Still, isn’t it odd two monotheistic religions came in the same area at the same time?
 
Bump, this one is quite a doozey for me :/.

And why did I put this in Moral Theology?
 
Has anyone ever heard this theory before?

Akhenanten was an Egyptian pharoh who temporarily made Egypt monotheistic for a period of time, a time period some believe was when Moses lead the Jews out of Egypt.
Yes, I heard of it some decades ago.
What do you think?
I think some people will grasp at anything in their frantic efforts to discredit Christianity. Whether or not the theory is true–and I doubt that it will ever get any further than speculation–does not lessen the fact that God made us and has certain claims upon us.
  • Liberian
 
Yes, I heard of it some decades ago.

I think some people will grasp at anything in their frantic efforts to discredit Christianity. Whether or not the theory is true–and I doubt that it will ever get any further than speculation–does not lessen the fact that God made us and has certain claims upon us.
  • Liberian
I think it was Chesterton who said that when a man ceases to believe in God, he is willing to believe in anything else.
 
Since by natural reason we can come to the knowledge of the fact that there is on Supreme Being, it makes sense that there would have been many pagans who have discovered Him (albeit through a mist of superstition and error). Aristotle was one and so were the pagans whose altar St. Paul comes across in Acts.
 
Has anyone ever heard this theory before?

Akhenanten was an Egyptian pharoh who temporarily made Egypt monotheistic for a period of time, a time period some believe was when Moses lead the Jews out of Egypt.
Akhenanten set up the worship of the sun with himself and his wife Neferiti as priest and priestess. They weren’t worshiping a god with no face and no representative in nature, such as an animal or celestial body like the sun. Moses and the Hebrews worshiped the God who called himself simply “I AM.” Akhenanten’s supposed monotheism was an aberration that only lasted as long as Akenanaten lived. And no, Moses didn’t lead the children of Israel out of Egypt to the promised land during his reign. That took place at another point in Egypt’s history under Ramses.
 
Still, isn’t it odd two monotheistic religions came in the same area at the same time?
The hebrews were there many generations worshiping one God. They came under Benjemin. They left under Moses.

So if this were accurate (Moses and Akhenaten at the same time) the end of the presence of the Hebrews and the end of Akhenaten’s experiment would have occured at the same time.
 
I don’t know the exact timeline. I first read something akin to this from an old testament analysis written by a Catholic priest. He was not proposing that Akhnaton was the source of Judaism.

Rather, he was comparing Israelite history with Egyptian history, and proposed that the Pharaoh in power during the initial Israelite migration to Egypt may have been a ‘foreigner’ who was more amenable to the Israelites. Later, when the original line of Pharaohs resumed power, and reinstituted the old religion, they became hostile to the Israelites, and subjected them to slavery. This is not in conflict with the OT accounts.
 
I don’t know the exact timeline. I first read something akin to this from an old testament analysis written by a Catholic priest. He was not proposing that Akhnaton was the source of Judaism.

Rather, he was comparing Israelite history with Egyptian history, and proposed that the Pharaoh in power during the initial Israelite migration to Egypt may have been a ‘foreigner’ who was more amenable to the Israelites. Later, when the original line of Pharaohs resumed power, and reinstituted the old religion, they became hostile to the Israelites, and subjected them to slavery. This is not in conflict with the OT accounts.
Actually, the Bible says it very well and it makes sense with history. It says a king that did not know Joseph took power. There was a period of differnt rulers, I think they were called the Sea People or something that took over Egypt and ruled between the Middle and New Kingdoms. After the Egyptians regained control and started the New Kingdom, they of course would have resentment against the Israelites who had favor with their oppressors. The period of enslavement was 400 years and the time period of the New Kingdom was about the same. The Bible explains the rest how out of fear they enslaved the Israelites and the other interesting thing is Ramses II was the last pharoh of the New Kingdom. This ironically was the pharoh to which Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt. Something dramatic had to happen during this time period as the New Kingodm transitioned into its next phase of Egyptian history.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top