Friday abstinence today?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Soler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Soler

Guest
Am I right in saying that there is no Friday abstinence obligation today (Jan 1) since the day is a solemnity?
 
Am I right in saying that there is no Friday abstinence obligation today (Jan 1) since the day is a solemnity?
it would be anyway seeing as its not during lent. the cardinals got rid of this a long time ago.
 
Not only that, but it is within the Octave of Christmas. So even if today was not a Solemnity in it’s own right, it would not be a day of penance.
 
My understanding is that traditionally in the West, there was no fasting or abstinence from 25 December through 6 January, the Feast of the Epiphany.

I don’t know how this applies to those places that have transferred Epiphany to a Sunday before 6 January.

In the Byzantine discipline is similar, except 5 January is a day of fast and abstinence. If this falls on Sunday, the fast is anticipated on Friday. 6 January is always a fast/abstinence free day.
 
Does a Solemnity negate a day of penance; thus, this being a Friday I abstain from meat; however, it is a Solemnity so I heard that it negates that. Is that true?
 
it would be anyway seeing as its not during lent. the cardinals got rid of this a long time ago.
OP is correct that there is no required abstinence. However, just wanted to pop in on this statement really quickly for those who don’t know. Abstinence is still required all Fridays of the year (not just during Lent) UNLESS you perform some other act of penance. You can choose to abstain or do something penitential, but the requirement in general to do so still stands. I did not know this until a few months ago, so I like to share the info. 😉
 
OP is correct that there is no required abstinence. However, just wanted to pop in on this statement really quickly for those who don’t know. Abstinence is still required all Fridays of the year (not just during Lent) UNLESS you perform some other act of penance. You can choose to abstain or do something penitential, but the requirement in general to do so still stands. I did not know this until a few months ago, so I like to share the info. 😉
Interesting point. I prepare adults for Sacraments and all were unaware that when the fasting from meat on Friday was no longer mandatory that we were obligated to find another penance for the day the Lord died on the cross. Not being able to think of a good one, I am numbered among those who still abstain.👍
 
Does a Solemnity negate a day of penance; thus, this being a Friday I abstain from meat; however, it is a Solemnity so I heard that it negates that. Is that true?
I sure hope so because I just added bacon to my New Year’s blackeyed peas & collards!🙂
 
Interesting point. I prepare adults for Sacraments and all were unaware that when the fasting from meat on Friday was no longer mandatory that we were obligated to find another penance for the day the Lord died on the cross. Not being able to think of a good one, I am numbered among those who still abstain.👍
lol, so do my husband and I, for the same reason. Some people prefer to try and find a “more difficult” penance, but I don’t think the fact that it seems easier “degrades” it in any way. I still have to watch to make sure I prepare the correct meal and we make a point to recall why we do it often.🙂
 
it would be anyway seeing as its not during lent. the cardinals got rid of this a long time ago.
They removed the specific obligation of fasting but not the duty to perform a Friday penance – which is still binding but not on Solemnities.
 
Solemnity suppresses a fast day.

On Great Feasts, the Church wants us to feast.
 
:crying:
lol, so do my husband and I, for the same reason. Some people prefer to try and find a “more difficult” penance, but I don’t think the fact that it seems easier “degrades” it in any way. I still have to watch to make sure I prepare the correct meal and we make a point to recall why we do it often.🙂
I for one do not find abstaining from meat easy at all. I live in Germany. Just try walking around on a Friday smelling the bratwurst! Not easy at all! LOL:crying:
 
:crying:

I for one do not find abstaining from meat easy at all. I live in Germany. Just try walking around on a Friday smelling the bratwurst! Not easy at all! LOL:crying:
Ah, yes, so my husband has told me. He lived in Germany 7 years I think. So sorry! :o
 
I observe abstinence and fasting every Friday, yet I thought for today this it would not apply. Thanks for settling my mind. I smiled at the mention of a more difficult penance. I love meat big time, so giving it up is hard for me! 🙂
 
What are collards?
Here on this side of the pond, people who live in the North take their turnips, pull off the leaves, eat the roots and discard the leaves by shipping them down South. People who live in the South take their turnips, pull off the roots, eat the leaves, and discard the roots by shipping them up North.

It’s a nice little arrangement that keeps everyone happy.

“Collards” can refer to the leaves of various leafy green vegetables. Think of spinach.

At holiday times, the green color represents prosperity.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top