Friday abstinence today?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Soler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure hope so because I just added bacon to my New Year’s blackeyed peas & collards!🙂
And since I had the day off it so felt like a Saturday. I ate toasted tamales at lunch and pizza for dinner.

I always felt that a solemnity overrode fast and abstinence rules and we can always do some form of penance on extra-Lenten Fridays besides abstaining from meat.

Joe
 
Here on this side of the pond, people who live in the North take their turnips, pull off the leaves, eat the roots and discard the leaves by shipping them down South. People who live in the South take their turnips, pull off the roots, eat the leaves, and discard the roots by shipping them up North.

It’s a nice little arrangement that keeps everyone happy.

“Collards” can refer to the leaves of various leafy green vegetables. Think of spinach.

At holiday times, the green color represents prosperity.
Appreciate the greens promo, but collards are a specific vegetable in the cabbage family.They do not form a head like cabbage but produce individual leaves.We’ve grown wonderful collards in our garden & they taste even better after a frost.We cook them with smoked pork neckbones. Some people prefer hog jowl or hamhocks.Closest green that might be similar would be kale.And I think those might be connected with good luck back in Scotland.(?)
 
Christ is Born!
In the Byzantine discipline is similar, except 5 January is a day of fast and abstinence.
Thanks for the reminder! I’ve so been enjoying the past 10 days- how much cheese can you eat in a day? 😃 Just got our 2010 calendars today and hadn’t put mine up yet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top