Friend is looking for a reputable convent/monestary near illinois...suggestions?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rising_Suns
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rising_Suns

my dear brethren in Christ,

I apologize if this forum is not exactly the most appropriate place, but my friend Kristin (she is 23) is discerning a calling to be a nun and is looking for a reputable convent in/near illinois. I was just curious if anyone had any recommendations for her to pursue.

May the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you always,
-Davide

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Is your friend looking to a contemplative or an active life?

Michael

St. John of the Cross is a Benedictine monastary not far from Leeland, Michigan. There is also the Monastary of the Holy Cross in Chicago, also Benedictine.

Thank you for the suggestions!

To answer your questions, I believe her gifts are more in the area of an active lifestyle rather than cloistered. I believe she has wondefull potential to be a mother superior one day; she is very extroverted, great communication and managment skills as well, but also balanced with an interior heart. She also has a masters in physchology/therapy, so many of her skills remind me of Fr. Groeshel’s in some ways, and if she doesn’t by chance enter a convent she will most likely become a Catholic therapist.

Edit: she would also prefer a convent with younger sister her own age as well, but of course, she is ultimately trying to allow God to lead her.

40.png
Apologia100:
St. John of the Cross is a Benedictine monastary not far from Leeland, Michigan. There is also the Monastary of the Holy Cross in Chicago, also Benedictine.
Thank you. The Monastery of the Holy Cross seems to be for men though, and the one in Leeland I cannot find in any search. do you happen to have a link?

I realize that I have come somewhat late to your post, but I would recommend that your friend check out The Cenacle in Warrenville, Illinois, which is a one hour drive directly west of Chicago.

Here is a link to their website:

cenacle.org/

Good luck to her.

40.png
Dane:
I realize that I have come somewhat late to your post, but I would recommend that your friend check out The Cenacle in Warrenville, Illinois, which is a one hour drive directly west of Chicago.

cenacle.org/

Good luck to her.
Thank you, but that looks to be a retreat house, not a convent. is that correct?

There is Brothers of Saint John near Peoria, Illinois and they have Apostolic Sister of Saint John also. That is where Father Antoine Thomas is from right now. You may have caught some of his work with children on EWTN. He does a lot of teaching children to adore Christ in the Eucharist. You could e-mail one of the Brothers for more info at frjosephmary@yahoo.com or by phone at 309.385.1193 ext. 214

Dear Rising_Suns,

You have said that your friend is looking for a more active life but I would be a slug if I didn’t suggest the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Des Plaines, IL. They have no website. Their address is:

Discalced Carmelite Nuns
1101 N. River Road
Des Plaines - ILLINOIS 60016
U.S.A.

It depends a lot on what her spirituality is, no matter what “work” she wants to do. There are quite a few “reputable” communities she might enter…

40.png
Dane:

cenacle.org/

Good luck to her.
There is also a Cenacle congregation in St. Louis. They give retreats and have a varied ministry. They are holy, wonderful women. Here’s another link that will take you to their site:
www.cenaclesisters.org

God be with your friend.

Mary

Thank you all for your suggestions…I have compiled a master list of every convent in illinois (there’s so many; atleast 30 or so), have highlighted your recommendations, included the contact info and location of each of the 30 convents, and have given my friend kristin the list. It is now totally up to God to work with her, if this is indeed her vocation. Please keep her in your prayers…

Praying for humility,
-Daivde

peace be with you! i was also going to stronly recommend the Sisters of St. John, but noticed that faith_ful1953us already did. i just wanted to mention that those aren’t their Apostolic Sisters. it is the american novitiate for the Contemplative Sisters. The Apostolic Sisters are not in the US yet. But those sisters are amazing. hope that helps.

If I remember correctly, there is one in Dubuque, Iowa. Dubuque county is the second most Roman Catholic county in the nation. There are some beautiful churches up there.

Would any Roman Catholics know if there is one in Dubuque?

~mango~

I know it is a little far from where you live but if she wouldn’t mind just a come and see visit, she could go to Bloomingdale, Ohio. The Catholic Corps women group is there and even though they do not take public vows, they do take private vows of Chastity, Poverty and Obedience. They are a very active group and live single consecrated lives to Jesus. Just go to familyland.org/content/Content.aspx?CategoryID=142 and see what they are all about. There is even a men’s group for any men out there thinking about a vocation. They follow the Magisterium of the Church and their spirituality is that of Pope John Paul II’s.

I hope that you get to check it out. Also you can call at 1-800-FOR-MARY for more information.

I was taught Latin at Franciscan University of Steubenville by Sr. Maria Regina Pacis of the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George, a dynamic community of sisters (many of them young) based in Alton, Illinois.

I believe they still send their women to FUS for studies, though I’m not entirely clear on what their primary apostolate(s) is/are.

But I’m sure you can learn more by checking out their web site, which is www.altonfranciscans.org.

May the Lord guide Kristin and all women discerning religious vocations to know and follow His will! 👍

God bless.

Jerry

40.png
Rising_Suns:
my dear brethren in Christ,

I apologize if this forum is not exactly the most appropriate place, but my friend Kristin (she is 23) is discerning a calling to be a nun and is looking for a reputable convent in/near illinois. I was just curious if anyone had any recommendations for her to pursue.

May the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you always,
-Davide
Code:
 I don't know about nearness, but a new and young (her age) great new congregation if sisters is growing.  Their Novitiate is in Bowie, Maryland, and USA Provincilate house in Washington, D.C..    You may want to share the following web-site with  her:  [www.iveamerica.org](http://www.iveamerica.org)        Look for the SISTERS/ nuns section, they have priests, sisters, and a contemplative nuns branch.
I know these sisters personally, they are very well educated and HOLY.

There are two religious communities for women in Springfield Ill.

The Franciscans (third Order more active), and Dominicans (less active).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back