Friend on Steroids

  • Thread starter Thread starter mymamamary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mymamamary

Guest
Dear Forum

As the title says, one of my best friends is on steroids. He personally showed them to me and told me to tell no one.

What is my moral obligation in this instance??

I want to tell someone, I just don’t know who or how, without breaking the Friendship. I also don’t want to sin by lying, hence the reason Im here asking what should I do?

I forgot to mention this during confession that I didnt tell anyone.

Anything I need/Must/Have to confess here??

And above all:

What am I morally obligated to do??
 
If they are prescribed for under a doctor’s care, there is nothing to worry about. However, i’m guessing Canadian law is rather different than US law regarding steriod use and you haven’t mentioned if your friend is participating in sports and/or body building were steriod use is common.
 
I cannnot advise on morals … But be prepared to see him go on an emotional rollercoaster ride. First, he’ll get angry rapidly over the drop of a pin. Then he’ll get super emotional, cry, become over caring. This is because the beginning will flood him with testosterone. This can only happen so long until estrogin builds up and takes over (which also makes him fat in late stage)
 
I’m pretty sure anabolic steroids aren’t on prescription. I would talk to him about it, get him some material off the net and show him how dangerous they are. It’s going to get harder and harder for him to lay off them and it’s going to seriously impact his health.

If he doesn’t listen to you, I would advise you to inform his parents/immediate family -no matter how old he is- tell them that he told you on trust and you don’t want him knowing that you mentioned it to them. They should be able to find some way of pretending to find out about them without including you.

He shouldn’t have to find out, but even if he does reassure him that you ultimately brought it to their attention for his own good as a friend, and you wouldn’t be a true friend if you didn’t.
 
I’m pretty sure anabolic steroids aren’t on prescription.
Not true - Aids patients among others can receive prescriptions for anabolics.

Actually steroids are a simple drug that if used responsibly and under a doctors care can reap wonderful benefits with little side effects - no more than tylenol or whatever. Pro Body builders take EXTREME amounts of the drug which completely messes their whole system up. They use them irresponsibly. Cyclists are a good example of the benefits without the physical repercussions. It enables them to ride a bike over a 100 miles a day for a month straight, and maintain weight and strength with the ability to recover. Some of those guys would probably die on the mountain without supplemental products;)
Look at the whole male rejuvenation revolution going on - you don’t think doctors aren’t prescribing anabolics, and HGH to these guys???
 
Actually steroids are a simple drug that if used responsibly and under a doctors care can reap wonderful benefits with little side effects - no more than tylenol or whatever. Pro Body builders take EXTREME amounts of the drug which completely messes their whole system up. They use them irresponsibly. Cyclists are a good example of the benefits without the physical repercussions. It enables them to ride a bike over a 100 miles a day for a month straight, and maintain weight and strength with the ability to recover. Some of those guys would probably die on the mountain without supplemental products;)
Contrary to what we often see reported in the media, ManRay is pretty much correct. My husband is an olympic weightlifter. He practices his sport for health and fitness purposes, so he has no interest in taking drugs. (Not to mention the fact that they are a controlled substance.) There are a few guys at the gym, however, who use them. I’ve never heard of anyone who had a problem. That said…they are very easy to abuse and my personal opinion is that there is no good reason to take them without a medical reason. And a child or teen-ager certainly has no reason to take them.
 
Steroids are actually counter productive for cardio believe it or not.
Not sure what types of PHD’s pro cyclists take, but there must be some benefit - because it seems like they ALL take them.
 
Your moral obligation to him is to be there for him and to help him. You need to pray about what the Lord would like you to do for your friend.
 
Contrary to what we often see reported in the media, ManRay is pretty much correct. My husband is an olympic weightlifter. He practices his sport for health and fitness purposes, so he has no interest in taking drugs. (Not to mention the fact that they are a controlled substance.) There are a few guys at the gym, however, who use them. I’ve never heard of anyone who had a problem. That said…they are very easy to abuse and my personal opinion is that there is no good reason to take them without a medical reason. And a child or teen-ager certainly has no reason to take them.
And your certain your husband takes anabolic steroids? There are such things that are sometimes blanketed under as “steroids” when they are infact legal, but surely you can’t be thinking of REAL roids, drug tests are routine and taken very seriously not least in the Olympics.
 
As a once competitive endurance athlete - my own research and what physicians told me was that anabolics do not really play a direct role in the cardiovascular side of your efforts - as in the pure application sense. It’s not like advair as it actually helps you breath better. That being said - there is an indirect benefit in terms of recovery, strength, and red blood cell count. Red blood cells carry oxygen. Anabolics help protein synthesis which helps your muscles recover. There comes a point in training blocks where the body seems to enter a zero sum gain situation. Your body can only recover at it’s genetic potential. The guys during the tour aren’t getting faster - they are waking up day in day out with the same willingness and strength to maintain. Guys on sub par supplements or none at all slowly start breaking down. Steroids help you breakthrough those training periods by providing you with the ability to persevere. This is exactly why people with aids, and other Wasting diseases experience extreme benefits from anabolic treatment.
 
Also I believe someone did a test somewhere on over the counter supplements, and claimed that 40 percent contained designer anabolics - here is an article on just two of them-
Tren Extreme - which is a blatant giveaway because one of the abused products in body building is Trenbolone which is a livestock steroid and very effective for mass and strength.
nytimes.com/2009/07/24/sports/24steroids.html?_r=0
 
And above all: What am I morally obligated to do??
Ezekiel 3:4:18 When I say to a wicked person, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for** their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. 19 But if you do warn the wicked person and they do not turn from their wickedness or from their evil ways, they will die for their sin; but you will have saved yourself.

It is not our place to judge people but we are obligated to point out behavior that will lead them into eternal damnation. If we don’t how could we ever claim that we loved them as God commands?**
 
I’m pretty sure taking steroids isn’t a sin - especially when he hasn’t even clarified the circumstances.
 
And your certain your husband takes anabolic steroids?
No, I’m certain that he does NOT take them. He takes vitamins and fish oil. I’ve never even seen him take an aspirin.
*[D]rug tests are routine and taken very seriously not least in the Olympics.
*
Just to be clear, DH practices olympic style weight lifting. Although he sometimes competes (and occasional wins) in local competitions, he has never been on the Olympic team.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top