Frontline: Secrets of the Vatican

  • Thread starter Thread starter on_the_hill
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure I want to read the book. Wikipedia quotes about 5000 children in these institutionalized schools which seems like a small number.Is the book just about Irish Catholics and abuse again:rolleyes: or is it about the UK and the economy at the times. We have Dickens and he paints a pretty good picture of the industrial revolution and hard times.
Don’t read novels…read the book I recommended that has facts.

As far as Dickens, he came down hard on institutionalized charity…but praised Jeanne Jugan and, the Little Sister of the Poor.

Don’t believe me? Google. 😉
 
First, we must always remember that PBS is a liberal / left leaning broadcasting organization funded by the Federal Gov’t and donors. PBS needs Government funds and they see Conservatives as trying to “cut them off” (de-fund them) and they look at the Democratic Party as trying to “fund them and keep them on the air.” Now, make the connection that the Democratic Party is Pro-Choice / Pro-Gay, then it makes for a biased group of folks at PBS / Frontline…trust me on this one. I use to work for an NPR Station and they are very Anti-Conservative / Anti-GOP / Anti-Catholic. PBS is no different.

Now, with this said, I agree that we’ve heard most of this before and I’m not to scandalized by it these days…this stuff has been going on since Sodom and Gomorrah. Also, the Hierarchy mishandled this situation badly over the years, but they are trying to clean it up. The Liberal / Progressive Left in Europe and the United States are in a full court press to take down the Hierarchy and destroy it if the Hierarchy doesn’t “Change her tune on Abortion or Homosexual acts.” They want the Catholic Church to go the Way of London (Anglicanism)…if she doesn’t, then they will try to destroy the Church. We are in rough seas…and…the seas are going to get rougher.

One last thing: I find it ironic that the Progressive Left criticizes the Catholic Church and the Priesthood for the Pedophilia that is / has gone in the Church - as it was Homosexual Priests who molested little boys; yet at the same time, the Progressive Left champions Homosexual Acts / Marriage. It’s twisted.
 
Don’t read novels…read the book I recommended that has facts.

As far as Dickens, he came down hard on institutionalized charity…but praised Jeanne Jugan and, the Little Sister of the Poor.

Don’t believe me? Google. 😉
I have searched and heard about these stories for sometime and have been tempted to watch the movie but have not. I was forced because of my location to see the priest abuse cases.

This is from the article I posted(from forums).
The publication last week of the Irish government’s McAleese Report on the Magdalene laundries has proved kind of awkward for Catholic-bashers. For if McAleese’s thorough, 1,000-page study is to be believed, then it would appear that those laundries were not as evil and foul as they had been depicted over the past decade. Specifically the image of the laundries promoted by the popular, much-lauded film The Magdalene Sisters – which showed them as places where women were stripped, slapped, sexually abused and more – has been called into question by McAleese. This has led even The Irish Times, which never turns down an opportunity to wring its hands over Catholic wickedness, to say: “There is no escaping the fact that the [McAleese] report jars with popular perceptions.”
In the Irish mind, and in the minds of everyone else who has seen or read one of the many films, plays and books about the Magdalene laundries, these were horrific institutions brimming with violence and overseen by sadistic, pervy nuns. Yet the McAleese Report found not a single incident of sexual abuse by a nun in a Magdalene laundry. Not one. Also, the vast majority of its interviewees said they were never physically punished in the laundries. As one woman said, “It has shocked me to read in papers that we were beat and our heads shaved and that we were badly treated by the nuns… I was not touched by any nun and I never saw anyone touched.” The small number of cases of corporal punishment reported to McAleese consisted of the kind of thing that happened in many normal schools in the 1960s, 70s and 80s: being caned on the legs or rapped on the knuckles. The authors of the McAleese Report, having like the rest of us imbibed the popular image of the Magdalene laundries as nun-run concentration camps, seem to have been taken aback by “the number of women who spoke positively about the nuns”.
 
First, we must always remember that PBS is a liberal / left leaning broadcasting organization funded by the Federal Gov’t and donors. PBS needs Government funds and they see Conservatives as trying to “cut them off” (de-fund them) and they look at the Democratic Party as trying to “fund them and keep them on the air.” Now, make the connection that the Democratic Party is Pro-Choice / Pro-Gay, then it makes for a biased group of folks at PBS / Frontline…trust me on this one. I use to work for an NPR Station and they are very Anti-Conservative / Anti-GOP / Anti-Catholic. PBS is no different.

Now, with this said, I agree that we’ve heard most of this before and I’m not to scandalized by it these days…this stuff has been going on since Sodom and Gomorrah. Also, the Hierarchy mishandled this situation badly over the years, but they are trying to clean it up. The Liberal / Progressive Left in Europe and the United States are in a full court press to take down the Hierarchy and destroy it if the Hierarchy doesn’t “Change her tune on Abortion or Homosexual acts.” They want the Catholic Church to go the Way of London (Anglicanism)…if she doesn’t, then they will try to destroy the Church. We are in rough seas…and…the seas are going to get rougher.

One last thing: I find it ironic that the Progressive Left criticizes the Catholic Church and the Priesthood for the Pedophilia that is / has gone in the Church - as it was Homosexual Priests who molested little boys; yet at the same time, the Progressive Left champions Homosexual Acts / Marriage. It’s twisted.
Welcome to the forums!:tiphat:
 
I was not shocked by the film and I knew these things, but I still do not need to see the victims all over and heart again and again.

They purposefully prodded people to break down and get descriptive on camera.

If the Frontline film said it was made to foster discussion and to find ways to prevent abuse problems and heal people from the beginning, without really having the goal of changing the teachings of the church then I would have more respect for the producers and those in it. However, this is not what happened at all.

I am not stupid about this. I have worked ion diocesan pilgrimages, and one woman I know who assisted made a call to a small parish. A guy answered and she was professional to him but he did not return the favor, calling her “babe” and so forth. We asked her if he was a priest, and she got rather silent…meaning yes. She is a solid Catholic but working for the church is something she won’t do anymore.

I have also had my share of innuendo from a priest…whether he was just being immature or whatever his problem was I don’t know. I told him to keep to nip it and to keep his mouth shut. Never happened again. Of course, then you get others who will tell you to never criticize a holy priest of God. They get this from literature that is around that tell them that only priests are worthy.

On the other hand I have worked with and known many fine priests.

I know what people mean…but you know until I see Jason Berry and the others in this film going on a crusade against pornography, abortion (Gosnell??? excuse me, where is Berry on that one) and other factors leading to sexually abusive behavior then to me they are only serving their agenda… which seems to be changing of church teaching on contraception, priestly ordination,etc.

I do agree that the Holy See need to provide thorough explanation as to why the cases were not processed earlier. They can have better screening of those who become priests (during Vietnam, many entered the priesthood to avoid the draft) and so forth, but in the end it is the individual who sins against others.
 
MYTHS OF THE MAGDALENE LAUNDRIES

NEW SHOCKER: Widespread Media Claims of Sadistic Abuse at Ireland’s Famed Magdalene Laundries Determined to be Completely Bogus


“In the Irish mind, and in the minds of everyone else who has seen or read one of the many films, plays and books about the Magdalene laundries, these were horrific institutions brimming with violence and overseen by sadistic, pervy nuns. Yet the McAleese Report found not a single incident of sexual abuse by a nun in a Magdalene laundry. Not one. Also, the vast majority of its interviewees said they were never physically punished in the laundries.”
 
I just finished watching the documentary.

What I disagree with is how the documentary portrayed Pope Benedict as ill equipped and ineffective.

I hope that Pope Francis does not try remedying the steady stream of newly reported sex abuse cases with married priests. Married priests would simply bring a new and greater compound of miseries. My advice sounds more practical that theological…I know.

As stated earlier…the greatest concern is for Pope Francis’ safety in light of those many mystery bank accounts that were let go from the Vatican bank.
Hey…Pope Francis’ doesn’t seem to be a man too concerned by shadowy figures carrying clubs. He is walking the talk.
 
Wow! I just saw this film. It must have been a rerun and I didn’t see it the first time around.
Reaction:
The stuff about the bank and the Curia…well absolute power corrupts absolutely. No excuse, but not exactly surprising. But it does need to be changed. Wasn’t it said that in the Chinese court, it was the eunuchs that actually ran everything? I think the word manchurian for a sly power broker is from that.

The child abuse stuff, very very sad and I’m appalled so,little has been done about it. I do wonder about the statement about the numbers being so much higher than in any other denomination. I had read differently.

But the gay cabal! That for me was the worst. It mocks all the good priests who daily wrestle with their vows of celibacy, win or lose. I was sickened by this part of the story.
And by the way, I don’t care if my priest is gay, straight, or whatever. I do care that he is serious about his vocation to try his level best to stay celibate, and honour his sacred vows.
No man is perfect, but the flaunting of their responsibilities was sickening.

I so hope and pray Francis can at least make some headway into ending all of this scandal, and abuse. And I hope he stays safe.

I also just finished up watching The Borgias…the similarity was not lost to me.
 
Wow! I just saw this film. It must have been a rerun and I didn’t see it the first time around.
Reaction:
The stuff about the bank and the Curia…well absolute power corrupts absolutely. No excuse, but not exactly surprising. But it does need to be changed. Wasn’t it said that in the Chinese court, it was the eunuchs that actually ran everything? I think the word manchurian for a sly power broker is from that.

The child abuse stuff, very very sad and I’m appalled so,little has been done about it. I do wonder about the statement about the numbers being so much higher than in any other denomination. I had read differently.

But the gay cabal! That for me was the worst. It mocks all the good priests who daily wrestle with their vows of celibacy, win or lose. I was sickened by this part of the story.
And by the way, I don’t care if my priest is gay, straight, or whatever. I do care that he is serious about his vocation to try his level best to stay celibate, and honour his sacred vows.
No man is perfect, but the flaunting of their responsibilities was sickening.

I so hope and pray Francis can at least make some headway into ending all of this scandal, and abuse. And I hope he stays safe.

I also just finished up watching The Borgias…the similarity was not lost to me.
As I said above, I would very much caution anyone from taking the claims of this video at face value. Do some research.
 
I also just finished up watching The Borgias…the similarity was not lost to me.
Agreed. We are all sinners, from the pope on down. That’s why we all need to listen to each other, help each other, forgive each other and not judge each other. There is no single person in our church, in the magesterium, in the curia, in the parishes that has it together. One of the most attractive aspects of Pope Francis is that he is humble. He’s pointed out his own faults, opening up his failings for all to see. We see that he is just like us. As he struggles with his faith, as he fights with his humanness to walk the talk, we see a living example of humility, love and acceptance.

There was nothing in the Frontline documentary that was new. Everything in the show has already been well researched and reported elsewhere. A loyal Catholic made this documentary and his sources were well vetted. It was a good show because it packaged it nicely for the average viewer. We need to be reminded of the sex abuse scandal because many Catholic are tired of hearing about it. But we need to hear about it because there are still victims out there yet to come forward and that abuse is still happening in our parishes today. We are the church, you and me, and this abuse is happening in our house. We can’t can look away, too tired to watch, too tired to care anymore. We can’t turn from the vulnerable injured by us, our church.

What I did not like about this documentary, and this was said by another commenter, is that it did not go in-depth into any one topic. It tried to do too much. While it stimulated interest and viewers could go to the website for more info, I personally would have preferred to have this be a series of episodes rather than one.
 
I think that is a problem with being catholic our money is being blown 7 thousand miles away much harder to keep an eye on it.
 
Personally, Id like to learn more about what the Vatican knows about extraterrestrial life, or extra-dimensional life (whichever it happens to be). Ive read alot about certain people, ( a couple guys off the top of my head, but cannot think of their names right now, I will search tomorrow and update the thread), that in the Vatican that have made comments and statements regarding this topic, and some of their claims are pretty significant and bizarre.

I believe there was even mention of a certain pope in the past that had some kind of knowledge about this topic too. Whatever these secrets are, Im almost positive the vatican does know more than the average citizen about this though. I tend to think there is research going on into this as well, But I do believe the vatican has nothing but good intentions in mind, I dont think theres any dark, secret agenda,( like the US Govt ) in regards to this thing.

I think the vatican would view them as nothing more than another one of Gods creations, Same way I think about this, nothing about beings from another world would cause me to loose any of my current beliefs, if anything, they would only strengthen it!!
 
Agreed. We are all sinners, from the pope on down. That’s why we all need to listen to each other, help each other, forgive each other and not judge each other. There is no single person in our church, in the magesterium, in the curia, in the parishes that has it together. One of the most attractive aspects of Pope Francis is that he is humble. He’s pointed out his own faults, opening up his failings for all to see. We see that he is just like us. As he struggles with his faith, as he fights with his humanness to walk the talk, we see a living example of humility, love and acceptance.

There was nothing in the Frontline documentary that was new. Everything in the show has already been well researched and reported elsewhere. A loyal Catholic made this documentary and his sources were well vetted. It was a good show because it packaged it nicely for the average viewer. We need to be reminded of the sex abuse scandal because many Catholic are tired of hearing about it. But we need to hear about it because there are still victims out there yet to come forward and that abuse is still happening in our parishes today. We are the church, you and me, and this abuse is happening in our house. We can’t can look away, too tired to watch, too tired to care anymore. We can’t turn from the vulnerable injured by us, our church.

What I did not like about this documentary, and this was said by another commenter, is that it did not go in-depth into any one topic. It tried to do too much. While it stimulated interest and viewers could go to the website for more info, I personally would have preferred to have this be a series of episodes rather than one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top