FTC Sues To Break Up Facebook, Instagram and WhatsUp App

• Thread starter Thread starter gam197
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gam197

vhttps://www.outkick.com/ftc-sues-to-break-up-facebook-instagram-and-whatsapp/
Total278 In bombshell news, the FTC announced today that it is suing Facebook and calls for the acquisitions of Instagram and WhatsApp to be undone. “The Federal Trade Commission today sued Facebook, alleging that the company is illegally maintaining its personal social networking monopoly through a years-long course of anticompetitive conduct,” reads the press release

Mark Zuckerberg has too much control over people and what they see and so does Google(Youtube) and Twitter.

Last edited:
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Then we might want to know how these people got into positions of power. The FTC Commissioners are appointed by the president and confirmed by the senate.

Last edited:
Since these Federal Commissioners were put in under Barach Obama and allowed Facebook to grow what are the chance now under a Biden presidency of breaking it up?

Last edited:
Since these Federal Commissioners were put in under Barach Obama
I think you are throwing some irrelevant information into your question. The person that was president at the time isn’t much of a consideration to whether or not the union was legal. Now, if you found some matter of law for which the acquisition should have been denied, then that would be relevant. Looking at the rest of the question as independent.
what are the chance now under a Biden presidency of breaking it up?
Who knows. The same type of recommendation was made for Microsoft. That case ended with the consent decree. Thus, ultimately the USA and Microsoft came together and came to an agreement of what they would do. If there is a problem that can be remedied without a break-up, then why break up?

I’ve got questions on how the FTC has defined the relevant market though. They use the classification “personal social networking.” They manner of defining the market doesn’t quite conform to how markets have been traditionally defined. Not that I think traditional methods will work. But it does feel a bit ex post facto in the absence of some existing method.

If they determine it’s become monopolistic, will they? Can the y just declare that they need to un merge…whatever the correct wording would be?

I’m much more bothered by what AT&T did with Warner and HBO MAX. That’s looking more monopolistic to me.

f they determine it’s become monopolistic, will they? Can the y just declare that they need to un merge…whatever the correct wording would be?

I’m much more bothered by what AT&T did with Warner and HBO MAX. That’s looking more monopolistic to me.
Why would you be concerned by Time Warner and HBO MAX you do realize that cable is no longer streamed in many homes yes maybe for the older generation but anyone under 50 would more than likely has Netflix, Prime, or Hulu, etc. and Disney for their children.

Sure they may have basic cable in their homes but cable TV is not what it was 30 years ago. It has steadily been losing customers. The one thing keeping cable going is fast internet bundled in.

ATT is only one of many other broadband options.

Last edited:
I posted this article yesterday, so not wanting to be a repeater, but I did see yesterday that Biden’s transition team is now full of many tech companies insiders. I’m guessing these tech insiders now working for Biden, will change things to their liking with government agencies. Once that work is done, they will return to working for the tech companies for a nice large salary.

“Biden transition teeming with Big Tech insiders”

excerpt:

Agency review teams for the Biden-Harris presidential transition have added Silicon Valley insiders in droves, an analysis shows.

The teams are charged with planning for the incoming presidency, holding sway over thousands of political and staff appointments, including positions atop the Federal Trade Commission, Federal Communications Commission, and leading the Justice Department’s antitrust division.

Facebook is fending off regulatory action by the FTC, with Google fighting off the Department of Justice

Why would you be concerned by Time Warner and HBO MAX you do realize that cable is no longer streamed in many homes yes maybe for the older generation but anyone under 50 would more than likely has Netflix, Prime, or Hulu, etc. and Disney for their children.
I think you mean to say “less people subscribe to cable TV.” Not “cable is nolonger streamed.” The content from provers associated with cable is streamed. The cable co.panies themselves offer streaming and individual networks offer their content via streaming.

Warner Media has been having a few disputes with both cable providers and streaming device providers. A person that may have had HBO in their cable package or had been streaming HBO Now or HBO Go may find themselves without it because of these disputes.

48.png
gam197:
I think you mean to say “less people subscribe to cable TV.” Not “cable is nolonger streamed.” The content from provers associated with cable is streamed. The cable co.panies themselves offer streaming and individual networks offer their content via streaming.
It is streamed but families no longer subscribe to it. Again they have basic cable bundled with fiber optic internet…
I’m guessing these tech insiders now working for Biden, will change things to their liking with government agencies. Once that work is done, they will return to working for the tech companies for a nice large salary.
My concern is that the FTC will be pressured to keep Facebook, Instagram, and WhatUp App together.

It is streamed but families no longer subscribe to it.
I don’t know what this sentence is trying to communicate. Can you name the resource that you are getting your information from? According to a 2018 report from Forbes, to out of three households were using pay TV services.
Again they have basic cable bundled with fiber optic internet…
If someone has basically cable bundled with something, then they have cable. Not that this clarifies you statement that “cable is no longer streamed.”

I kind of feel like you are just typing stuff, but are not actually trying to communicate.

Last edited:
48.png
gam197:
It is streamed but families no longer subscribe to it.
I don’t know what this sentence is trying to communicate. Can you name the resource that you are getting your information from? According to a 2018 report from Forbes, to out of three households were using pay TV services.
Again they have basic cable bundled with fiber optic internet…
If someone has basically cable bundled with something, then they have cable. Not that this clarifies you statement that “cable is no longer streamed.”
It is not difficult to understand. They do have basic but at a very low cost bundled with fast internet but do not subscribe to additional TV package deals.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Variety deals.

Last edited:
Looks like you posted a bad link. The screenshot that you posted shows there has been a decline in subscriptions. Not that people no longer subscribe. Do you understand the difference?

But given that Warner media has a footprint in both cable and streamed media, this probably doesn’t matter. Both cable subscribers and streamers (an overlapping group) consume their media.
ATT is only one of many other broadband options.
Do you realize that AT&T is over Warner Media?

Last edited:
Yes of course but ATT is only one of many broadband companies. There are so many articles on the decline of cable TV.

I am more concerned about Facebook’s reach.

Last edited:
AT&T also owns DirecTv
AT&T also owns Dish Network, though they want to sell it off. I understand they are looking for cash to buy spectrum. They lost some cash to the attempted T-Mobile acquisition.

I remember years ago when the carriers and network service providers were being referred to as “Dumb pipes.” Basically, seen as undifferentiated gateways to the Internet. Since then, AT&T has done a good job of changing its position, among others. They all progressed to not only being communications providers but also content providers and providers of other services. Verizon acquired quite a few websites that I once enjoyed. I still enjoy a few of them now (ex: Engadget.com) , but Verizon decided to close down some of the others.

T-Mobile has been dipping its tow into providing entertainment services too.
Yes of course but ATT is only one of many broadband companies.
Okay. I was only responding to a question that you had posed.
Why would you be concerned by Time Warner and HBO MAX you do realize that cable is no longer streamed in many homes
In summary, I think there was a misunderstanding of Time Warner, aka Warner Media only being a cable provider. It sounds like there may be no interest in an answer to the question though.

Oh wait, I’m wrong. Getting them mixed up and am thinking of a Satellite Internet service AT&T offers.

Sorry, the association with AT&T and Dish Network is they were having some disagreement and Dish Network lost HBO access and some other stations. I don’t know if that were ever resolved.

Last edited:
You might like what the EU is doing…up to a point. They are putting an emphasis on privacy. But they are also going to be enforcing the removal of inappropriate content.

I’ve got questions on how much that is going to affect us here in the USA. There have been cases in Europe before over there being content that was illegal in Europe being hosted in the USA that was visible to people in Europe if they use a VPN. I think some aspects of their proposed law may be going overboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back